Notices

What a joke

Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a joke

Painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin worries addiction experts - HealthPop - CBS News

Idk if people have heard but apparently companies are in the final stages of making a pure hyrochodone pill. I can't understand why they would allow such a thing. All these companies care about is getting people hooked on these pills and the people that make our laws and approve this wonder why we are struggling as a country. We already use 99% of the worlds vicoding now they want to approve a pure vicodin pill. That's one reason why I wanted to quit. To no longer be a slave to these big money hungry blood sucking pharmacetical companies. I really hope they don't approve it cause that's the last thing that we need.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From what I understand that new pill is 10X stronger? Why? Heck, if oxy isn't strong enough, there's oxymorphone, and if that isn't good enough there's Fentinyl.... WTF????????
I'm with you on this one.....
Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well that's what there saying but I think they mean due to the fact that there's no tylenol in these new pills then comparably it is 10 times stronger then the current vicodin. That's what I understood but regardless if the FDA approves that it's going to be another epidemic just like what happened when Oxy came out. It's funny too cause all these companies that make these drugs are outside of the United States. I have nothing againest other countries but it's like we're giving them money to give us poison. Some people really might need these pills but like they said in the articles those people are ones that have cancer, life threatning injuries or are in really bad shape. Not for someone that has a back ache or a sprain(was always my excuse, lol).
Old 01-14-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Wow. That is completely freaking ridiculous. I'm already on Fentanyl as it is, about as bad as it gets as far as I know. I don't understand why this is a good thing? I agree, wtf.

-Jess
Old 01-14-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I say this a while ago, 2 companies have different versions that need approval. The only thing against them right now is that the new pills aren't 'tamper proof' but i'm sure a little cash incentive will get them around that.

They might as well be standing on street corners selling this stuff....
Old 01-14-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, considering there's already OC80's out there ... which are 16x as strong as a 5mg Percocet ... somebody making a 50mg time-release hydrocodone doesn't seem all that surprising. These pills would probably be about as strong as a OC 40mg, roughly.

Hopefully they all have good tamper-resistance .. the original, crushable OC formula ... was a TERRIBLE scourge on this country. And me.

Honestly ... people getting hooked on vicodin/perc formulas is much worse than the pure opioids, from a health standpoint.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"They might as well be standing on street corners selling this stuff...."

i lol'd at this, i shouldn't laugh at that but it's pretty much true.

I think the scary part about this is not people that are or have used Oxy cause if someone is using Oxy they won't usually step down to something weaker like vicodin unless they have no choice but for the peolple already using vicodin and start using the stronger ones I think that's asking for trouble. I remeber my withdrawls off from getting off 8-10 500mg vics I wouldn't want to even imagine what the w/d from these would be like.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

but ya bval it really doesn't suprise me what companies are allowed to make a buck because that's really what it comes down to in the long run. They know they will get people hooked. Imagine if you had a business and there was a way to insure that a customer would always come back to you to buy your product. That's basically what there doing. Doctors don't care cause it benefits them, more patients, more $$.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kind a like paying taxing every year.... Having to pay under duress...
Old 01-14-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by struggles79 View Post
but ya bval it really doesn't suprise me what companies are allowed to make a buck because that's really what it comes down to in the long run. They know they will get people hooked. Imagine if you had a business and there was a way to insure that a customer would always come back to you to buy your product. That's basically what there doing. Doctors don't care cause it benefits them, more patients, more $$.
Yup. Capitalism is so perfectly awesome, isn't it?

The part that really sucks is that it's basically impossible to sue doctors for letting you get addicted. After all, at that point, you're just some junkie and as far as the Establishment is concerned ... that's all YOUR fault.

And then we have our friends in teh GOP fighting for their 'tort reform' ... to make it even more impossible for anything to stand in the way of this money train. The health insurance companies are the only one's that MAY intercede.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

BTW ... congrats Alex Smith and the 49'ers ... Raider fan here (which means I'm not genetically designed to like the 49'ers), AND I really like the Saints, but there was no way I could root against SF in the first Bay Area playoff game in 9 years.

Amazing, amazing game. I thought when the Saints got that last touchdown there was no way Smith could get it done. He sure proved me wrong.

Now go Pats, beat them Tebowncos!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We have no one to blame but ourselves. But boy do we love to be victims. Just sayin...
Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
We have no one to blame but ourselves. But boy do we love to be victims. Just sayin...
You're exactly right! We are all responsible for our actions. But if it's one thing I grow to understand better as an addict... Making GOOD and LONG TERM choices aren't as easy when you're under the duress of the poison!
We're all wired by nature to do what feels good. Eat what tastes good... It's hard to to do the tough thing when you have the Opiate Gun pointed at your head telling you that if you stop me.... You're going to MISERABLE for weeks on end and time will stand still the entire time.
BUT!!!!!!!!! If you're willing to do the hard thing... You'll walk off the plantation a free person!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can look at this from several viewpoints: money/business/health/pain relief.
The problems that come from the acetaminophen are known. For people that need pain relief, they should not have to needlessly suffer from the high doses of Tylenol or whatever other ingredient is in those pills. They also shouldn't have to have their pain evaluated by anyone other than their doctor and themselves.
There's a heck of a lot of people that are not addicts out there. It's a doctors ethical and professional duty to treat those people, not the addict.
I suppose this is all in how we look at medicine. Ya have 1/2 who just think "addiction" (not only with this but pretty much everything) and the other 1/2 would not.
I've seen a lot of comments on that particular article, from here to health boards to nurses forums. It's kind of interesting to see how individual the opinions are. It's very dependent on who they know, what's going on and definitely what kind of forum/website it's being discussed on.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AngelwithWings View Post
they should not have to needlessly suffer from the high doses of Tylenol or whatever other ingredient is in those pills..
I could have SWORN where I read that the Pain Med Industry was going to do away with Tylenol on the Percs! Yeah I was using that at the time but I know I read an article about that. If I recall correctly, the studies showed that the Tylenol was not very effective when combined with the hydro or oxy. The Tylenol wrecking livers and all.
What most people do not know about Tylenol is that when your liver metabolizes it, it produces XX% (I forgot what the exact percentage is) a toxin. I heathy doses, your body can withstand the toxin. But people who consume vast quantities of the stuff (like in Vikes or Percs) are KILLING their livers and don't even know it.
With the propensity of abuse, I'm surprised the industry still uses tylenol. Yeah I know, how do you sue someone for a product that being "abused"....
Anyway - Tylenol BAD!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stugotz you are right we all have to responsiblity for our own actions. Part of being an addict is blaming other people. If you blame other people for your problems how can we fix them? We can't because we're given that power to them and like you said we play the victim but really it's just our addict mind making an excuse for the actions we want to take.

I think once someone deceides to quit that's it. They could make a magical vicodin pill sprinkled with fairy dust but if your set then that wouldn't even tempt you a bit but I just think the way that they are trying to get people hooked on these pills is so blatant and obvious it borders on ridicoulous.

Oh and I read somewhere the only reason they put tylenol is to act as filler so people would be less inclined to abuse it. It really has no effect on strengthing the effects of the vicodin, if anything it lessens it. So knowing this and people are already abusing vicodin, so what will happen if there's no more tylenol in them??
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's not actually any more powerful milligram for milligram than hydrocodone. It is simply just without acetominiphen. This is unfortunate on behalf of the drug companies for a myriad of reasons. First is the abuse potential, because abusing this before would have the potential of liver damage, unless the user did cold water extraction techniques.
Is it any more powerful? No, but now people can abuse away without having to worry about their livers. Doesn't make much sense sometimes.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Livers! Honestly can any one of us really say that we cared at all about our livers, or anything else for that matter, while we were using? Most of this thread is a perfect example of "not getting it" And I thank all of you for that. Just sayin...
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

People will abuse anyway. I'm all about harm reduction. You can temporarily (with any luck) screw up your brain chemistry + possibly irreparably poison your liver, or just screw up your brain chemistry. Given the options, I prefer the latter ... call me crazy

I think the tylenol additive (for the reason they do it) in vikes/percs is kinda evil.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The First thing I thought when I read that was, "Yummy, I love one of those." Isn't the addict mind great? Boy am I sick.