Notices

drug addiction..

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drug addiction..

Hello everybody.

I'm new to the forum and thought I'd share my struggles with addiction a bit. I've been battling drug addiction since 2006. Oddly enough I started with crack and it sort of progressed from there. I no longer use stimulants like crack and cocaine as I've become more and more infatuated with pain pills, and heroin to some degree.

Over the past year and a half my opiate addiction has gotten worse and worse. I've cleaned up and relapsed countless times (I relapsed today). I'm slowing coming to terms with what I'm dealing with and realizing that this is a disease. I should also note that I have a genetic predisposition to addiction. My father was a heroin/cocaine addict and my grandfather was an alcoholic.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome Mentallo.
It seems as if half of my male relatives (& many female) were alcoholics or heavy drinkers, which became my drug of choice after a whole lot of weed smoking and some LSD trips through my 20s. I think if I were to have ever tried crack I'd be dead by now... way to powerful for me.
Best wishes.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome! you will find tons of us here to listen and share our advice.. anything you need shoot a message! good job taking the first step!!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the boards, you've come to the right place!

Yes, addiction is a type of mental illness, no doubt ... people have debates whether it constitutes a legitimate 'disease', but the AA/NA books call it that, so I use the term and consider these debates 'academic' and basically unimportant. It's a useful description.

Now ... down to brass tacks ... have you considered an organized program of recovery like AA/NA/Lifering/SMART, something like that? I highly recommend ... you do

Very, very few people get clean and stay clean via their own force of will, using their own 'plan'. Consider this ... YOUR best thinking ... has been what's gotten you to exactly where you are right now. Maybe it's time to try someone else's 'best thinking'. How does that idea strike you? Sensible, maybe? I hope so