Notices

My Oxy Story

Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Oxy Story

Hello.
I just recenty started posting on this site. Been a lurker for months. Found this site at the height of my use and I read every thread. Checked multiple times a day for insight and stories AND for comfort that I was not alone.

Anywho....my story is similiar to most. I'm 35 now, but in my 20's, never thought much about using pills. Took one here or there and didn't think much of it. If I had a tootheache or injury, I'd get a script, but never use them. When I look back now, I am clueless as to how they meant nothing to me then.

Fast forward to August 2010. Prior to then, I took occasionally when I partied with friends. Still not a big deal. Then, I had 3 consecutive surgeries within 3 months. Pain was bad, and doc told me to double my dose with advil, tylenol. Well, when I doubled my dose, although I was in pain, I felt a euphoria like none other. So, I figured while I was recovering, I'd have fun. Then came more surgeries, more pills, more fun while I recovered. I'd be handing pills to my friends that like them. In my mind, I wasn't addicted to them. Just temporarily using them while I'm recovering.

Keep in mind that I am a bartender and pretty much have had every drug at my disposal at any time before my surgeries, but I occasionally popped one or two without any thoughts after it.

Back to my 'recovery' pills. Can't explain what I felt when my script ran out. I remember going to my last check-up and the doctor asking me if I need another script. I said no. I think I'm good. In my head, the party was over and it was time to get back to regular life.

Well, regular life hit me like a ton of bricks. Sick as a dog, restless legs. Man, was I in pain and sick. At that point, I knew what was going on. I got myself addicted to pills. I did, bc I popped them like candy, but was dumb enough to think that I would be fine.

So, back to work I went and knew just where to look to feel 'normal'. Not sick. So, I began buying the off all the people I knew and it spiraled out of control from there. I continued using for over a year after the surgeries until I knew I just couldn't do it anymore. All my money went to pills. My 3 kids saw their mom tired all of the time. The special time that I spent with them became few and far between. They missed their mom. I missed them too and was so ashamed. I was sick when I was with them because I tried not to use when I was home. I would pop/snort one just to be able to do something with them.

I started hating myself and hating the person and mother I was becoming. All of those thoughts led me to SR.

I am still a bartender, but at a new place that has an older, more reserved clientele. The other place I worked was a party bar that had way too much drugs and temptation. That was my first step to get away. I did, however, keep in contact with my dealers. But, the new environment was a big first step.

That is my story, in a nutshell. I am currently on my 6th week of suboxone treatment. Not the best route for all, but for me, my kids and my job, it was the smoothest route to go.

I miss the oxy's less and less every day. Just hoping that my kids will forget that bad year and half that I neglected them bc of my addiction. I can see the delight in their eyes that they have their mom back. They've missed me and I've missed them.

Thanks for reading,
Kelly
Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Precious, glad you have decided to get off the oxy train. However you are doing it is fine. At least your kids have their mom back. Don't be too hard on yourself you are still young and kids are resilient and most likely just glad to have you back. You might want to try out an N/A meeting for support, although this site is great and you get great advice here, face to face meetings are helpful.

Best wishes for you and your family.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR PreciousThings

D
Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome. My kids are little, so you may be right Dee...hopefully I didnt do too much damage.

My husband....a whole other story. He has no idea about my struggles with pills. Despite the occasional good times, we've had a rocky marriage the past 5 years. We've discussed divorce and all of that for at least the past 3 years. I really don't want to give him ammunition if that is where our path leads.

As of late, we are trying hard to work things out. I had an affair when I was using opiates heavily. About 90-120mgs a day. Terrible, terrible thing to do. He found out, and I eventually admitted that to him. I was so selfish to do it, but at the time felt justified. We haven't shared a bed in about 5 years, nor been intimate. I felt neglected and angry. Instead of talking about it or going to counseling, I found a partner somewhere else. I was 100% wrong!! Using oxy's made it easier to do it though. Made it easier to ignore his feelings. I don't blame the drugs for doing it, but they sure dulled my inhibitions. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but at the time, I didn't care all that much. I was too busy being angry with him for ignoring me all of the time.

I kept using after the affair...using more. After I saw how much I hurt him, I just couldn't deal with it. I couldn't deal with detoxing while trying to show him how sorry I was. When your detoxing, you HAVE to be selfish. I just couldn't put quitting at the top of my list when I had to try and repair the extra damage I'd done to my marriage.

Months later, I tried to go CT many times. But how many times can I get the flu? I'd run to work, get my 'medicine', and feel better and be able to bartend and be social. A viscious circle...round and around. Tapering turned to be a disaster...so I came to SR for some support.

Now, back to the hub.... a huge part of me feels so guilty that he didn't up and leave. I feel like I deserved that. Especially since I not only cheated, but I was hooked on oxy's. I look at him every day feeling the guilt and shame of my affair.

We are in a better place right now. I'm no longer strung out on blue's and he is starting to accept my attempts to be a better wife. He made dinner reservations tonight and we are staying in Atlantic City overnight. This will be our first date in a loooooong time! He made the reservations at a steak house. I am a huge meat eater & he is a hard core vegetarian. Little things like that mean a lot to me. Who knows? Maybe I will tell him my story someday. If and when we heal.

As far as NA...I think after the new year I'm going to try a meeting. It won't hurt. This weekend is going to be loooong and exhausting!!

Sorry for the rant, but it felt good to write it down ;-)
Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Precious you mentioned you are in Suboxon treatment. Do you have a medical doctor monitoring your in take of suboxon? Or a plan on eventually getting off suboxon?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Dizzy,
Yes, I am being monitored by a doctor. I see him every 2 weeks. Our plan is to begin my taper after the new year. He doesnt want me to be on them for long. I dont either, thats for sure. I take 16mg a day. 8 in AM and 8 in PM. Next appointment is our new plan of action. I am so looking forward to it. I want to be completely pill free. It is then that I will be proud of myself.

Working like a dog this weekend, as every bartender in the country ;-)

Happy New Year!!
Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really hope the Tapering Down comes easy for you Precious.
My Young Daughter was my Life saver while W/D.

You are so lucky to have young ones.....You can explain to them of the Horrors of Drugs/Pills as they are growing up.
After Giving up on Addictive Substances..........
Me.........I needed a Program for living,which I did not have.
I needed Alcohol and Drugs for a Reason...........I had to Find out what that reason was...and I Did.
I have been to 12 Step Groups.....Therapy...and
Im now Attending ACA.........
Best of Clarity in Soberiety to you for the New Year.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad to know you have a plan with detox. I did a 2 day taper with soboxon in hospital, 1st day 4 mg night and day, 2nd day 2 mg. night and day, 3 rd day nothing! I went cold turkey after that. After 97 days I can honestly say I'm happy to be free of it all. The pills, the chasing, the pharmacies, the doctors, the dealers!! I am reaping the benefits now, finally.

Stay strong, it does get sooo much better.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Whew..my NEw Years shift finally over. Back to the other bar I work at noon.
Micaelc- yeah...with my kids, I will have my eyes on them & guide them to leading a drug free life. Thanks for the support while I'm going through my journey. I'm pretty confident I can succeed in this taper. I dose every 12 hours. At almost 7 weeks, I dont think about popping a pill every 2 hours. Feels nice.
Dizzy- u rock!! Thats a quick taper. Great for u!! While I failed the oxy taper(too tempting), I feel my subs are nothing but a regulater. My taper will be slow, but with the subs, I have no temptation to dose any more than my doc tells me. I havent been 'high' since starting subs, and I'm ok w/that. Actually thrilled!! I feel things I havent felt in a ling time.

When the urge to feel my 'blueblie blanket', I know that it wont do a damn thing while on subs. The feeling passes, and I feel stronger everyday that I dont get high.

My taper will be a bit long...cutting slowly down. I am truly excited for it. As
each day passes with me feeling 'normal', I know it's exactly the way I want to
feel every day.
I'm ready for what happens w/the taper & I dont know what to expect. But I'm
ready, more than ready, to be sub-free :-)

So grateful I found this sight. Most of u are stronger than I'll ever be & it's so
inspiring to read all of your successes. I look forward to be a part of your drug-free group.

Gotta run...working at noon at my other bar. Weekend from hell-lol

Thank u again, my new SR friends

Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Precious there will always be someone here to encourage and help you.
We cant Carry the Pain of another,but we may be of some help.
What you are doing is not easy.......you will need support.
Im going to try giving the Cigs this Month......PG.
Cheers.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks ;-)
Good luck w/the cigs. I cant even begin to THINK about giving them up yet. One mountain at a time for me.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story PreciousThins.

I'll be starting my sub taper tomorrow so I'll be right there with you. Hopefully I don't feel like crucifying myself every day while coming off the subs.

Based on your story though it doesn't sound like you have a strong addictive personality in general? If it was just the allure of the blues that got you hooked then it should get easier and easier pretty quickly. However, if you were using to mask a bigger problem then I would suggest AA or NA. The programs are great at fighting the root causes of the addiction vs just stopping using.

Anyway, glad you decided to introduce yourself. We're glad you're here!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey BeenDown,
I do have an addictive personality. Perhaps not as much as others here, perhaps more than some.

I guess I just realized that during the thick of my use, my life was just not working for me. Especially for my husband and kids.

Surgery started the problem, but I was completely irresponsible with my use of the pain meds. Yes...it was a lot of fun being off work during all 3 recoveries while I stayed high the entire time. Before I knew if, my body needed it...then realized, my mind needed it too. Drug seeking and being dope sick were very common the year after my surgeries. I was definately addicted. Seeking, waiting, spending every penny I made. Hating myself for how much it controlled my life.

I just knew, after that short time, using was not fun anymore. It wasn't like the 'old days' when a blue or a perc would pep me up during a shift and then it was over. No harm, no foul.

Please let me know how you do with subs. I find them to be a miracle right now. I never take more than my Dr. prescribes, but trust me, I go through my phases of missing my blue friend. Starting a slow taper at my next Dr. appt. I feel, for me, the taper will be successful. I more worry about the point after I taper. I know that even taking a blue right now wouldn't even do anything, so that keeps me away. But what happens when I taper from subs? I will know in the back of my head that I could, if tempted, enjoy the euphoria of a blue. These thoughts are what's going to get me to an NA meeting. I know me...and I know that I can never, ever touch an opiate again without falling into the same trap.

I've read a lot about subs before I made the decision to start. It was a 50/50 split with the positives and negatives. I have taken my chances to go the sub route.

The slow taper, for me, is working. I have not abused them, and I think, for me the longer I'm away from the blues, the better for me.

I hope that in the end of all of this, that I have a wonderful success story to share.

Keep me posted BeenDown...I'd like to know how you are feeling and what your thoughts are.

Kelly
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well at least you know yourself well enough to know what you need to do.

I've already started the taper. I'm down to 8mg a day. I'll cut to 4mg next week and 2mg the week after that. Wish me luck!

I'm guessing it won't be tough until i drop from 2mg to 0. That'll be the scary part.

Stay strong!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Precious. Glad you are here. I've read some of your other posts and my story is all over the place here!

Just keep remembering that you, yourself are not a bad person. The minute that finally kicked in for me was the day things seemed a little easier to take. I had a bad addiction, you have a bad addiction, we have all had bad addictions of some kind or other. We are all good people!!

I've been clean 2 1/2 years now and not missing the hell I went through just to keep the pill supply there. I was selfish and inconsiderate. During w/d I thought I might rather die at times...but now, I feel great. I'm happy and content in my life and I have many friends and have become so much closer to my family.

My kids still love me .. and that can still surprise me. They're grown now but they talk about home life as children and teens with enjoyment. They remember the fun and loving times.

Take care.. you can do it!

...Ruby...
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

BeenDown...wow! Great for you! That's a rapid taper! You feeling well, I suppose? I've been wanting to start...I feel I'm ready. That's why I can't wait for my next appt.

Ruby- thanks for the encouragement. You are right. We aren't bad people, but sometimes it's easy to fall into that trap. That trap that make us different than the non-user society. The way non-addicts can look at people like us. That's what ties us all together; knowing that we are good people who have made some bad choices or have had some bad circumstances that introduced us to the dark hell of addiction.

SR and it's members have been amazing with helping me realize that I'm not alone. That there are people just like me that need help and support. It really feels good. I'm so glad I'm not lurking anymore. Glad that I'm beginning to share and beginning to feel more comfortable talking about my addiction. God, how long it took me to admit that!! Now, I'm saying it loud and clear... I'm an addict and I need help. I need to hear others and be heard.

Thank you all,
Kelly
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Im still keeping an Eye on this Tread.......Keep up the Good work guys.....you can do this.
Id say Counciling might be in order as the Memory,and Feelings starts to clear.
I needed it anyway........also went to Meetings
Im now attending ACA.........Its the real deal.
Most of my Problems started in Childhood.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Counseling is definately on my to-do list. I've just started to write here at SR. I'll be ready for an NA meeting some time soon. I'm not sure I'm ready for the real, live group thing yet.
Found a Dr. for my depression and addictive tendancies, but unfortunately, my insurance covers it AFTER my $5,000 deductable. Working like a dog and hope to be able to afford the $200 per session fee.

I know I need additional help, just taking baby steps for now.

Thanks for listening,
Kelly