Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

How do I get my doc to help me with lortab/ alcohol addiction?

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone- I've been reading for a while but this is my first time posting. I'm miserable but scared to death. I've been drinking everyday for about 20 years and started taking tabs and the occasional Roxy about five years ago. I currently drink about two bottles of wine a day mixed with twenty to forty milligrams of lortab. Yeah, I know- that'll kill me. I can't imagine life without the pills. I've had four knee surgeries, hurt my neck and just found out I have thyroid disease, treatable but it causes widespread pain. I'm sick of the rat race of stressing about whether or not I have them, sick of spending the money, sick of feeling guilty and worrying about my health. I can feel my liver right now, seriously. I know I have to quit but how can I get my pain managed without them? Please help and thanks!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Jred))) - Welcome to SR! There are many addicts/alcoholics here who have chronic pain, so you are not alone.

I can only tell you about my doctor - the first time I met him, I told him all about my history, my occasional pain issues (had a ruptured disk a few years ago and it flares up every now and then) and we worked out a plan if I were to need pain medicine. Opiates were not my DOC, though I had abused them in the past.

That doctor left the practice, but I've been upfront with his replacement. I know several people, here, who are seeing pain management doctors while still working recovery.

It's not easy, no one way works for everyone, but I think seeing a doctor, being honest, and getting checked out is a good first step. A good doctor won't judge you and they are worth their weight in gold when you can work WITH them to get healthier.

You may also want to check out the Newcomer's thread and Substance Abuse forum - good stuff there

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will, thanks so much!!
Jenna
Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jred! I SOOOOOO know your pain. I have hypothyroidism, had my back broken in 4 places, and my clavical, and got addicted to Vicodin and Norco. My Dr. was supplying them in the beginning, but lucky me (said facetiously) I found a "friend" who sold them to me, so my Dr. would not know how many I was taking. I was also drinking a lot of scotch and countless bottles of wine a week.

It is hard to get off the pills, I'm not going to lie about that. I still think about it all the time. I had had enough though. The fear that someone was going to find me a home, overdoesed, even though I was not trying to kill myself. I went to my Dr. I told him everything, what I was taking and how much.

He put me on a long and tappered program of pills. It took a long time to finally get off of them, but being honest with my Dr. was the best thing I could have done. I told him I would not give up alcohol, that he was just asking way too much, so he made me come in EVERY week to check on my progress.

I know the depression with hypothyroidisim can be a pain too, but I take a lot 3 b-6 everyday, and L-glutamine. Talk to your Dr. I finally did quit drinking over 60 days ago (lost count at this point) but I swear, it has been so worth it. I have never felt better in my life. You have nothing left to lose, right?