Notices

quitting marijuana

Old 12-16-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quitting marijuana

So i have been smoking it for about 4 years now, daily. I know, its crazy, I had never even touched it until I was 40! I am wondering, what should I expect, or what will it feel like if I were to just quit cold turkey? Is it better to taper off it? I am also quitting alcohol, maybe I shouldn't attempt to do both at the same time??
Any thoughts would be most helpful!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by abbynorml View Post
I am wondering, what should I expect, or what will it feel like if I were to just quit cold turkey?
I remember feeling anxious and dealing with strong cravings. You shouldn't have physical withdrawals.

I don't think tapering is a good idea. And if you trying to quit alcohol, my recommendation would be to quit them both at the same time. Clean and sober means no intoxicants. Because if you get high you may weaken your resolve to not drink.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Hey abbynorml,

You might want to check out Cleanwithdreams7's posts on this forum. There is another thread about this. He's a great resource for exactly what you are looking for.

FT
Old 12-16-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Abbi

I smoked daily for over 20 years - when I quit I quit cold turkey (tapering and I do not work).

I had no physical symptoms to speak of - but I was irritable, and I had a little insomnia for a while.

The main problem for me was feeling better after a few days and then thinking 'hey I can buy a dime bag and sit on it for months'.

once you make the break run with it

Up to you whether you give up everything at once, but as my addictions were all intertwined I had no choice, and it worked out ok

D
Old 12-16-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Marijuana was my DOC as well. The hardest part for me was/is learning how to deal with life on life’s terms, and not relying on the bud to deal with stress. Any physical withdrawal I had went away after a few days at most.