Notices

Help

Old 11-02-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

I was wondering if someone could help me. I was addicted to pain killers, badly. You don't even want to know how many I was doing, but it was alot. I made the mistake of going cold turkery and almost died. BUt thank the lord, I'm here. So it's been like 3 weeks now, and I'm through the worst part. But I still can't go back to work because I have no energy. If I even take a shower, I'm exhausted. I'm so exhausted. When will this pass? When will I feel like I have enough energy to handle work again? I'm a single parent and everyone depends on my income. I've got to go back soon. When will this no energy thing pass? THank you very much for any advice anyone can give me. Or anything that might help make it happen quicker, I'm game for any suggestions at this point. Thank you.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Congrats on taking the huge step to better your life and get off the pills. I'm sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I've never personally dealt with opiate withdrawal, but there are many people around here who have and may be able to give you some suggestions. Best of luck to you and keep up the hard work. It will get better, hang in there.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((angelhj))) - Welcome to SR!! I've also never been through opiate withdrawal, but have read the posts and threads of several who have, and the energy thing is something that takes a while. It's different for everyone, but yes, your energy will come back.

Your body is still trying to adjust to the "feel good" meds not being there. The best way I can explain it is, when we take something that makes us feel good, gives us energy, etc. (I'm a recovering crack addict) the brain kinda goes on vacation in making our natural "feel good" chemicals. I didn't have physical withdrawals quitting crack, but I definitely went through a period when I was irritated, angry, depressed, etc.

As much as it feels like it's the LAST thing you want to do, try to take a walk, get out in some sunshine if you have it (not sure what the MD weather is like), even just a little at a time.

Keep reading and posting..you are not alone and I'm sure others will be along who have gone through what you are going through. It does get better.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Angel, I want to share a link with you that describes what we pain pill users seem to go through after the acute symptoms go away. It is known as PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms). One of the members here shared this link with me and it is great because it not only tell us what to expect but gives us excellent suggestions on how to work through things.

My energy level took over a month to come back and while I am still not 100% every day continues to gets better...

http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Spica; 11-02-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Link issues - silly me...
Old 11-02-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Question

Here is another question I had I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere on the internet. Okay, I was a heavy, heavy opiate abuser. 30s and lots a day, well anyway. I didn't taper or anything, I went cold turkey and almost died because of it, but needless to say I'm in about week 3 and still feel horrible, basically, no energy at all, can't do anything. Basically have to stay in bed at this point, but my question was this. Say for example, I don't know I had some kind of injury occur and say a doctor perscribed 5s, nothing close to what I was taking. Now, what i want to know is, I know the first reaction is don't touch or you'll be hooked again, but what I wanted to know was say you only took them for a week, and it didn't bother you and you didn't become addicted again, you just took them as perscibed by the doctor until the injury or whatever was over, would that make you have to detox all over again and be back at square one if what you were actually addicted to was way way stronger then that? I was just wondering in case I do ever hurt myself or need a surgery, which I may down the road? THanks And again, if anyone knows how long this lethargy lasts, I'd love to know because I"m 3 weeks in and still can barely take a shower. When will this end? When will I get my energy back? And is there anything you can do to help it or speed it alone, I've got to go back to work soon. I can't keep this no energy level or I'll lose my job.

THanks
Old 11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angelhj View Post
Here is another question I had I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere on the internet. Okay, I was a heavy, heavy opiate abuser. 30s and lots a day, well anyway. I didn't taper or anything, I went cold turkey and almost died because of it, but needless to say I'm in about week 3 and still feel horrible, basically, no energy at all, can't do anything. Basically have to stay in bed at this point, but my question was this. Say for example, I don't know I had some kind of injury occur and say a doctor perscribed 5s, nothing close to what I was taking. Now, what i want to know is, I know the first reaction is don't touch or you'll be hooked again, but what I wanted to know was say you only took them for a week, and it didn't bother you and you didn't become addicted again, you just took them as perscibed by the doctor until the injury or whatever was over, would that make you have to detox all over again and be back at square one if what you were actually addicted to was way way stronger then that? I was just wondering in case I do ever hurt myself or need a surgery, which I may down the road? THanks And again, if anyone knows how long this lethargy lasts, I'd love to know because I"m 3 weeks in and still can barely take a shower. When will this end? When will I get my energy back? And is there anything you can do to help it or speed it alone, I've got to go back to work soon. I can't keep this no energy level or I'll lose my job.

THanks
Hi Angel, I abused oxy (the 30mg little blue bastards) for close to four years after getting hooked on the vics. I had gotten up to 750mgs for a long time before I tapered down a bit to jump off. My acute symptoms lasted the better part of two weeks. I was pretty uncomfortable for the first month and sleep was impossible. My energy level did not start coming back until the second month and I had to force myself to go for walks and do light activity just to get myself going again.

I think you know the answer to taking a lower dosage. I broke my ankle in May and am still in pain - I control the pain with ibuprofen and aspirin. There may come a time when you have a bad injury and if that happens you may want to find someone responsible to hand out any pills you may get. You will find on this forum that most of us who have gotten addicted to pain pills can simply not control our usage even after a long period of abstinence. For me one oxy just leads to another....

Take it easy on your self - read over the PAWS article and keep us posted on how you are doing...

Last edited by Spica; 11-02-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Typing issues as usual...
Old 11-03-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Question

Thank you for the response, not that I wanted to hear it's going to take that long, but thanks for being honest. This is so hard, I'm a single mother, sole provider, and I've got to get my energy level back so I can work and care for them and right now I am at about week 3 and I can't barely take a shower without collapsing afterwards. Anything that would speed things up? Thanks for the infor on the injury and pills and all, but lets's just say, though I know it would be rare, but let's just say someone had great will power and self control, so they could manage 5's just for the injury at that time. My worry is does that undo everything? Is it like you never detoxed and even from 5's you will get sick again and detox and the brain chemistry will get all messed up again and all that, or not since it's only 5's and what I was abusing was heavy doses of the little blue killers, 30s. I want to know I could be okay if I got hurt using them, but I woud hate to think I would have to detox again or anything like that? Would that happen? ALso, I was wondering, I used to be a work out person before the detox. Every monday thru friday. NOw I just lay in this bed and can't do anything. I can't even get a deep breath for gods sake. I was wondering, if I "forced" myself to go work out for a little bit, not near as long as I used to but a little bit, would that possible help my brain make the endorphins quicker and help me get better quicker? Keeping in mind I almost died detoxing and was in and out of a bunch of hospitals because the detox messed with my heart. What should I do? I just have got to get my energy back. I have man people depending on me.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Angel

As for your exercising question I would do what your body allows. It will tell you. I have detoxed many times and some times I can barely walk to the front door Or shower, like you describe, and others I can run 3 miles on day 2. I try just walking my dog around the block at first. Then I either work up to farther walks or the same distance but I do it more frequently during the day. Then, if I'm feeling good, I run a block and walk a block, etc. usually running doesn't come until between day 8-10 but like I said I have detoxed many times and each time was DIFFERENT.

As for your thinking about the "what if" possibility of you getting hurt in the future I'm going to go out on a limb here and voice my opinion. I think your addict brain is planning to use. I think the last thing you should be thinking about while you are in severe withdrawals is breaking a leg in the future and needing 5 mg of your drug of choice. Firstly, you can barely get out of bed why would you be thinking about breaking a leg? Secondly, if you do get hurt in the future, it would be Wise to tell the doctor you have had opiate addiction and severe withdrawal in the past. The doctor will go from there to manage your injury pain. You may never get injured again in life. So please don't do too much "what if" thinking at this point.

Please don't be offended or angry or stop posting because of what I have said. I recognize your addict brain future tripping and planning because that is EXACTLY what mine does when it has been off the drugs a few weeks.

Now, if your REAL question is can you withdraw off 30 mg for a month or so then use 5 mg for a week or two without experiencing the same severe w/d as before, then I can tell you in my experience the withdrawals were easier on the lesser shorter term dosage. HOWEVER, my plan of going back on at a reduced dose for a short time RARELY worked. I would graduate from the planned 5 mg back up to 30 mg or MORE within a few days, every time.

Also, the risk of overdose and death is greater when a person goes back on their drug of choice after successfully detoxing. On this subject, I cannot offer any more detail or article links, but maybe others will chime in and explain why the risk of overdose becomes greater in these situations. And these are the people who most often die.

Good luck! I am right here with you struggling with my opiate addiction and my addict brain! I mainly use a technique called AVRT from Rational Recovery and supplement with 12 step meetings and this website.

Keep coming here and posting and stay strong!!!!!!! And, most importantly, try not to break your leg.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are a few other threads going right now on "withdrawals - how long do they last"

That specific one talks about the taking one pill to relieve symptoms issue we have been discussing.

Try to read the posts on there. Several people think taking even one of your pills would start the withdrawals all over again. But, your doctor prescribed them to help you.

I usually side with the doctors or "experts". HOWEVER the people on here have actually been through it and your doctor is going on education and theory.

Taper if done correctly is easier than cold turkey withdrawals. But again, you have already gone through the hard part so personally I wouldn't want to risk going back.

I'm sorry more people haven't posted here because I know there are many on here with good and better advice than I have!!!

Stay strong! Your kids are worth it!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,
I am going through the same hell.
I have found that if you do take a short walk, even if it is one block, do it..
Did you tell that Dr. you were withdrawing from opiods? I can`t see a doc giving you a scipt if trying to get off, but there are some docs that would do anything for the almighty buck!!!
you have worked soo hard so far, don`t give up now, you will start to be feeling better but you must force yourself to do something to keep the mind, body and soul busy, that is what I found out works for me.
Good Luck to you and Don`t GIVE UP!!!!
Life is much better being straight,
Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the great advice. At a time like this, every word means so much to me and all the support and people to talk to really makes a big difference. Now here is where I'm at, I hitting close to 30 days now. And I honestly have to say, never in my wildest dreams did I think it would take this long, but I did call NA the other day to see if this was normal, and he said it was it could take 25 days, 30 days, 40 days, 50 days, and then gave me many suggestions to help. Some of them I have been doing, but not noticing a huge difference, but a small improvement. I'm still not able to go back to work. I've been forcing myself everyday to get out of bed, though it is very hard still, I push myself to clean a little or walk around, take a shower, get myself dressed and all, and then I'm exhausted. But the newest symptom started the other day and I was wondering if anyone experiencing this. As I said I'm getting close to 30 days and 3 days ago, I started with this really bad stomach ache, it's like someone punched me and at the same time, it's growling and tossing and turning. Not like I was to vomit, but very painful. Has anyone experienced this? Should I be concerned. Any idea if this is still part of withdrawls and all? I'm into day 4 and my stomach ache work me up again? I just want to know if this is a normal detox part of is something else going on? Just looking for any suggestions I might be able to get. Thank you. And for all of you on here going through what I am right now, god be with you, because I know this is the worst thing I've ever been through in my entire life and god knows it takes every ounce of strength you have to get through this. But I can do it, you can do it. The rewards are worth. When my kids come in the bed I'm recovering in at home, the are so happy, every day they say, our mom is coming back, they say they see me coming back and they thank god I am and are so happy I'm coming back to them. I have much guilt to deal with which I would admit is the hardest emotional part for me during all this, what I did to them, just meaning not being the mom I used to before pills, the money I wasted, and most of, the thing that keeps me up at night, is how since my detox almost killed me and I almost well was practically in a coma the first week, they though I was going to die, I didn't know if I was going to die, and I remember them in the hosptial crying. And everytime I close my eyes, since I am all they got in this world, it kills me to know I put them through that scare of losing their mom, the only person they have. That guilt is really hard for me right, makes me cry alot. Everyday when I get out of bed and force myself to do things, anything I can do to make the recovery go faster for them, it's them I see, it's for them I get out of bed, and force myself to do everything I can. But the guilt, wow, eats me alive.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wish I could give you a big hug right now, I feel your pain. I cannot imagine the amount of time you have put in and still no energy. I can't offer much as I am only on day 6 of no pain killers and dealing with massive headaches which is part of the reason I started taking the pills, 5mg at first then on to 10mg of vicodin. 2 a day at first then 4 then 6 etc you get the idea. I wish I had an answer but I would probably go to the dr as you may have something else going on. Hang tough for your kids, thats such a super reason to stay strong, I will pray for you. Let the guilt go it's over and won't help, we all do things that are wrong or hurtful of what ever, but I know your kids have all ready for given you, so let it go. Hugs.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are still so tired at day 30. My extreme fatigue doesn't usually last as long as yours has. I notice that when i do have days i feel the extreme lethargy that makes it impossible for me to go to work it is when i did not get good quality sleep the night before. You didn't mention insomnia but if you are not getting good sleep that may explain the fatigue.

Unfortunately i dont have experience with stomach issues. My trouble is always bowel and i take pepto. You may want to google "post accute withdrawal syndrome" I have found some good info on what can occur after the body has gone through the detox phase.

Good luck and I'm glad to hear you are still hanging in there and opiate free!!!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

after quiting opiats
I had the extreem fatigue your talking about for over 6 monthes and keept
puting it down to not sleeping very well. or at all some nights
I dident get my energy back till i was dieagnosed with depreshion
and treeted with antydepresants,
just a thought .........
Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses and support. I need all I can get right now. Has anyone experiences this fatigue and kind of like body ahces, hot and cold stuff for this long, like I'm at 30 days? Now, I was a very heavy user. I also almost died when I detoxed the first 7 to 10 days. Do you think that could be why I'm taking so long to get better, the fact that I had such a rough first 7 to 10 days that I was rushed to the hospital. Could that be while it's taking so long? Could it be because I didn't eat for those 7 to 10 either, not a drop of food or water for those first 7 to 10 days. I'm just trying to figure out why it's taking my body so long. Before I choose to stop, I read and read and read. And it always seemed like people talked about 14 days or so. I could handle that, but my gosh 30 days! I've got to be able to go to work, I'm a single mom. I can't be in this bed forever. Has anyone else ever experienced this long feeling this bad? Is there any end in sight for this? I've got a life I've got to get back to, people are depending on me and I'm starting to panic everyday I wake up still feeling bad.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am no expert and really didn't have it all that bad but I bet your right, if you went 10 days with no food and water and had to be hospitilized I would imagine its going to take your body alot longer to recover. Hell you were in longer than most people who had major surgery. I would just expect your body is trying to put it all together and get right. Just some thoughts. Hang in there, I'm really proud of you. Hugs
Old 11-09-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in to close to 30 days now. Still can't work. Still dealing with withdrawl, as from the earlier posts, I had a very bad one. Almost died, but now my question is this, besides other symptoms I am still experiencing about a week ago, I started with this really bad stomach ache and pains. It wakes me up it's so bad. I was wondering, could I have damaged something in my stomach area, an organ or something, by the severe withdrawl? It just seems weird that I'm now having these bad stomach pains. I mean the first 7 to 10 days I did the vomiting and loose bowels and all that, but then that part stopped, and here I am 30 days later and I'm getting this bad stomach ache and pains everyday for almost 6 days now. Could it just be more withdrawl symptoms I am going through or could the rough detox I had in the beginning possibly damaged something? I'm not sure if I should bother getting it checked out if it's only a detox issue, but I just don't know this far in. I'm not sure what to do about it or what it could be. Any suggestions?
Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't give medical advice here. I'm afraid.

Please guys - remember it's against our rules to ask for or to give medical advice at SR.

I've removed some posts here that contravened this rule.

I suggest you see a Dr angelhj - it's the best thing to do for your well-being

D
Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi,
Don`t let the guilt get to you.
Even people who don`t use have guilts, so it is normal and give it away, its the past and we can just learn and move on, I know easier said than done.
I had to give the guilt up because it froze me in my recovery, whats done is done.
Your kids will love you more for doing this than drugs, right?
Don`t be hard on yourself because we can beat ouselves up anytime, so give away
I give mine to God..
Hang in there!!!