Notices

So I dumped my drug dealer :-/

Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

So I dumped my drug dealer :-/

Basically I dropped my dropkick boyfriend who just happened to be my supplier to my addiction. I really don't know how i'm going to live without my nightly bongs! I don't miss him at all because he is a big fat meany to put it nicely, but with him went my habit, and I don't want to give up. I love smoking pot, it's the only thing I have left.

Has anyone had to give up before they were ready or even wanted to? How did you do it? And stay off it with acceptance that you just can't have it!?

I HATE being an addict but it's part of me, if I don't feed it in some way I just don't seem to be able to cope with anything. It really makes me feel normal and sane and happy feeding that part of me. Insane I know.

So scared and sad and HATE being this sober n straight!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've given it up liz - for em I found it hard to deal with my other addictions if I was smoking pot because pot really lowered my inhibitions and dumbed me way down - anything sounded good after a few cones, and that was often my downfall with alcohol for example.

Expect to be irritable for a while, and maybe even a little empty-feeling, but generally I found pot the easiest of all my addictions to kick.

I think you'll come to see it as a great decision

D
Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

Thanks Dee. SO irritable and definitely extremely empty. I even contacted a church before telling them although I wasnt religious but I was so incredibly lonely and just wanted to belong lol. Want to cry ALL the time! I have quit pot in the past...but when I was ready and right now im not. All the other habits ive kicked and stayed clean and sober with because I was ready with them and im not worried about using them again. Pot helps me relax soooo much. I don't feel like it interferes with my life at all. How do I see it as a great decision when it feels like the only thing keeping me from going over the edge? Im scared of tonight when I know I will not sleep :-(

Has anyone quit before they were ready? What were the positives that got you through?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are other ways to relax

If all you can see are positives you're going to have a hard road quitting for good liz - are there really no benefits to giving it up for you at all that you can see?

I used to smoke all day everyday for 25 years or so - I was relaxed sure - I was also very very unmotivated, I was paranoid, I was addicted to the stuff, I had a raft of re-occuring lung problems, I was neglecting my responsibilities so I could smoke, and it always led me into using other drugs, alcohol and cigarettes....

I don't regret giving it up

D
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You must've been ready to quit on some level otherwise you wouldn't have kicked the BF out. Give yourself a little credit, I think you're more ready than you realize. That was a great first step to remove a negative influence, just keep stepping in the direction you want your life to take, and don't look back.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am a little confused by your post. It doesn't sound like you want to quit pot but more that you just lost your source? I myself am 3 days sober from pot right now- gotta start somewhere! I also feel a little lost and bored and spending too much time surfing the internet and watching tv and wondering what I am doing w- myself here- but I also know good things will come and fill the void. but for me, pot is absolutely bringing me down- I don't think it is a bad thing in and of itself, but the addiction part is bad. I don't believe for a second it is not addictive- I smoked for 24 years! And tried to quit since about 10 yrs ago. Anyway- just curious what exactly you are asking causeI hear you saying you are trying to quit but at the same time you love it and don't want to quit? Some people I think may be able to handle pot- and for others it becomes life consuming. For me, I "loved" it so much that it kind of took over my whole life and then it became really really bad for me.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

My biggest addiction is alcohol, that is what consumed my life. I've quit pot numerous times in my life without a problem and without doubts that I couldn't do it, I just did it. Your right, I don't want to quit and yeah i've lost my 'go-to man' so it's like I didn't get to be 'ready' or 'want' to quit. The positives I see aren't going to be positives to a recovering addict. The negatives really aren't there staring me in the face. The only negative I see is that I need it, and I want it and I can't have it, not really the normal negatives of a destructive drug. Im confusing myself now. I guess I just want to be able to feel ok about quitting and I don't.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only negative I see is that I need it, and I want it and I can't have it, not really the normal negatives of a destructive drug.
Sure it is - replace 'pot' with thinking about your early days with alcohol, Liz.
I know of your struggle with alcohol - you're close now to learning to live totally clean and sober...

I know that scares you - it may even tick you off - but think about that.
Is that a normal reaction, do you think?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-25-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-25-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought pot might be pretty tough to quit seeing as I was smoking pot for the last decade. However, it really wasn't too bad, I quit on the 8th and really have not been craving it like crazy. Perhaps it was because I also quit opiates at the same time and maybe that overshadowed it a bit. But I was around peeps smoking last night and really didn't have a huge urge. I agree with some of the other posts in that it really makes it easier to take up other drugs when smoking pot so maybe that's the motivation. Anyways I felt a bit depressed for that first week, but I think it was the combo of quitting both, just know that it does get better and the urges will subside, I'm sure there will always be moments going forward when you catch a whiff and have an urge but most likely less and less and time progresses.

Good luck!