Notices

Anyone trying to quit benzo's?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Anyone trying to quit benzo's?

I have been using them since 3,5 years, first on and off, then daily and different dosages/benzo's. I think I have taken almost any benzo there is, as it worked well against panic/anxiety.

But now I realize that I was taking them against the panic/anxiety from my drinking problem. Now I am trying to quit both the benzo's and alcohol, 7 days sober now. I stabilized my benzo dosage from 30 mg Valium beginning 2011 to 7,5 mg of Valium the last month. Now I am planning to quit the Valium in one month, tapering off with 2,5 mg every 2 weeks.

It's totally different and faster than the Ashton Manual method but my doctor thinks this method is ok. Has anyone done a tapering this fast?

And are there more people here trying to quit benzo's?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Geralt - I have no personal experience but I wanted to welcome you to SR

D
Old 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I'm the Benzo King here. I "tapered" from 20 milligrams of Klonopin in two weeks and landed in the hospital for 10 days. According to Ashton, that's the equivalent of 400 milligrams of Valium.

Please tread very carefully. Critical, I think, is to stay in close contact with your doctor.

Benzo withdrawal is horrid, and I think you are very smart to taper. The good news is that you've come down from 30 milligrams a day to 7.5 milligrams.

Tapering slowly is the way to go. IS the doctor monitoring your taper the prescribing physician? I think many prescribing doctors aren't clued into the potential for protracted withdrawal.

Posting and reading here has always been a great way to remain focused on recovery. I'm one year sober and couldn't have made it without SR, AA and NA.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Thanks all, I keep you updated how it goes.

@Memphisblue
That's the situation here in the Netherlands, I have one doctor who prescribes and monitors the withdrawal. But the withdrawal schedule is standard here in the Netherlands, I thought about going to a clinic but they presented me the same schedule as the doctor, so I prefer doing the withdrawal at home.

Going from 30 to 7.5 wasn't very hard, I got many of the minor symptoms that occur while withdrawing like the small electric shocks, bad memory, anxiety, sensitive to smells, sound etc. but they were all manageable and I didn't get any of the major symptoms like high blood pressure, panic attacks or seizures.

I will be monitoring my body and if the withdrawal gets too bad, I can always contact my doctor.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck to you Geralt. Sounds like you are handling this very well!!!

Keep us posted!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

7 days sober and you're wanting to get off valium soon also? IMHO thats a bad idea.

One at a time friend, the withdrawal from both booze and benzos too quickly will almost certainly be too much to handle (just my own opinion).

Welcome
Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Argonaut

@dreamscape

Yes, but I was 79 days sober before having a 6 day long binge 2 weeks ago, so I am pretty sure my body is physically clean from alcohol now. Besides, I have no other option, as the doctor won't keep writing me prescriptions, so I have to quit.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Quick update. 4 days since I went from 7,5 to 5 mg. Yesterday the symptoms really started with muscular spams, anxiety, electric shocks, brain fog etc. It's frightening but I know it's the reaction of my nervous system to the lower amount of benzo's and my brain making new GABA receptors.

No serious symptoms though, blood pressure only slightly higher because of the anxiety 130/85, no fever or seizures. I will keep you updated.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you told your doctor about the symptoms? I would tread very carefully. While my taper was abrupt -- actually, not a taper at all from the massive dosage I was prescribed -- but the really bad symptoms didn't materialize until 18 days after I stopped taking any benzo.

It's very important to check blood pressure and to also monitor sleep. Insomnia can be your worst enemy.

I'm concerned that you kind of nonchalantly mention not having seizures. Seizures are an end game warning, in my book.

Did you doctor consider crossing over to Valium and tapering from that?

Praying for you. Your courage to face this is inspiring.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry. Just saw that you are on Valium. I found that once I was off Klonopin that during my FOUR trips to the emergency room that even five milligrams of Valium calmed the symptoms, but didn't prevent the inevitable.

I think your taper program is spot on to avoid the consequences I had, but I do worry about the speed of your taper. Why not follow the Ashton method? Would your doctor go along with it?

I think, from anecdotes I've gleaned, that doctors don't but into the slow taper method, which worries me.

Again, getting to the low dosage you are at with minimal symptoms is a very good sign.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Argonaut

@Memphisblues

Thanks for your replies. Day 6 now and I am starting to feel better actually, day 4 was the worst so far. Still some anxiety but the muscular spasms and electric shocks have decreased. Most important I am sleeping 5-8 hours a day and my BP is 126/78, so totally normal.

Sorry about the seizure comment, I never had one or seen one, I meant heavy shakes that might lead to a seizure.

I discussed the Ashton method, but according to the doctor (and the rehab clinic he consulted) a faster taper is preferred in the Netherlands. His argument is that if I taper by a few percent a week, it's very easy to get stuck on a certain level and it simply takes too long.

As long as the symptoms don't get too bad, I think I can deal with this taper speed, if it gets too bad, I can contact the doctor anytime.

Just wish me luck
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It seems like you doctor has a really good handle on this. And getting sleep tat this sage is a very important sign that you're on the right path. Great job, and I really admire your courage to see this through.

The blood pressure is also a great sign that you're not going through the hell I went through getting off of benzos.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Day 11 at 5 mg. Quick update, still going strong. Same symptoms as before, also clammy sweating in the morning and after physical exercise. BP normal.

Friday I have to make the drop to 2,5 mg from 5 mg Valium, this really worries me but I am determined to quit those horrible drugs. One day at a time!