Notices

How to tell my parents I'm a drug addict?

Old 10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How to tell my parents I'm a drug addict?

I don't know what to do, I just want to get help but I can't because I have no Idea of how can I star my recovery
I've been addicted for a few years by now and I'm desperate because I just know this is very wrong but I have no idea of how can I get over this
Any suggestions?
I'm still at school, and some of my teachers are concerned because they see I'm very sad and don't interact much with others.
They always tell me they can tell my parents for me so that it will be easier but I don't want to confront my mom and dad
I’m afraid to tell them about drugs, about the fact that I self-harm, I hate life but still I’m afraid of dying. I am very mean to people but I can’t control it, I wish I was different but I really don’t know how to change

What do I do?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to tell my parents when I was in school that I was addicted to meth, which freaked me out to tell them, but most of all, I was afraid of that look of disapointment in their eyes. Just give it a chance. They will be more understanding and concerened than mad or disapointed. I'll be here if you need to talk.

Hugs to you!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Start with: "Mom and dad, I'm troubled and I need help."

Seriously.

Speaking as a mom whose kids were involved in drugs and I did not know it at the time, I so wish that they had told me they were struggling then.

Believe me, your mom and dad would rather know and be able to help you than to find out later on you were in pain now. Or be told you were dead because you didn't ask for help.

There is help. If you are afraid to confront them yourself, maybe ask a teacher or counselor to help you approach them. Maybe approach them for you. Break the ice, so you can speak.

Don't wait.

FT
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Your parents already know you are troubled and will be glad to know why.
That was my expereince with my 2 young adult addicted children...:

The sooner you get them involved and find help the better....all my best.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree with the others who have posted - tell your parents that you have a problem and need to be honest with them. I am the mom of an addict and even before I knew exactly what was wrong, I knew that something was. Having it out in the open is a first step in getting help and in healing. I am sorry for the pain you're in but it's good that you're reaching out.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Having recently found out the same about my own son, it came as a complete shock.

I would have been so happy to have heard those words from my own son than to have heard them from someone else and know that he isn't ready for help.

Maybe you could speak to your school guidence officer and ask them to have the discussion with your parents.

I think you're pretty amazing to be taking this step. I'm hoping that I get that phone call from my son one day saying he is keen to get help to stop.

mayabee I was the same. Never dreamed drugs but knew there was something not quite right.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know where you're coming from. when I was a sophomore in college I had been addicted to alcohol for over three years, cocaine for over a year and had tried meth. I did a very good job of hiding it from my parents. I knew I needed to take drastic measures to jump start my recovery because I was desperate and wanted to die.

I came home for winter break and immediately told my parents I needed to go to rehab. They didn't understand why and it was very difficult to tell them, but I am so thankful I did. that was almost 22 years ago. it hasn't been easy, but getting sober at 19 1/2 was the greatest gift I could have given myself.

please ask for help. you are worth it.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just be honest

Dude I was exactly where you are practically. I had been partying HARD for a decade and was fed up with it, mistreating peeps and most of all mistreating myself, and I just said enough is enough. I woke up last Tuesday 10-08-11 dragged my ass to an NA meeting to see others in recovery and gather some good vibes. Then after the meeting I called my parents and said look I'm coming over and we need to talk. Sat them down and spilled the story of the last decade. Told them about all the drug use, lies, how I had used money they had loaned me for drugs and not rent/bills like I said i was doing.

Probably the hardest thing I have ever done, but maybe the wisest. I was using ALOT and couldn't hold myself accountable, but with them involved the increased accountablilty has helped. I was like you in that I was done but just couldn't or didn't know how to stop. The first week was definately touch and go, and even as I right this it's what only day 12, but 12 days clean feels great. I wasted a decade which sucks, but you have a chance to limit it to a couple years, and your already in school. As hard as it may be honesty is the best policy on this one, you will be amazed how a loving family will rally around you. But, be ready, want to stop, and just do it Kidd. You got this!!

Also the people on here have been very inspirational for me, and provided lot's of useful info and encouragement. Whoever said theres strength in numbers was on the money because I failed quitting many times on my own, but the more people I have gotten involved in this process the easier it has been. Ya I had to gain a whole lot of humulity on this one which hasn't been easy but possibly easier than the alternative. Anyways I wish you the best of luck and shout out if ya need anything.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How old are you? Trust me it gets better I know you think your great at hiding it but they probably know already or they know something is wrong. If you tell them at least they will know whats wrong and you can deal with it accordingly. You have support here come back and let us know how you did
Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Are your parents abusive? I mean, that makes a big difference. Will they be supportive of your recovery? I don't mean nagging, etc, but supporting you in getting the help you need.

You know them, so be real honest, about why you might or might not tell them. Talk to someone about it first, in NA, or wherever you are getting help. Sometimes people mean well, but their "help" is somewhat less than helpful.

My parents were a big part of the problem, so unless they got "help" themselves, it was unlikely they were going to be part of the solution. But like I said, you need to be truly honest. If you are just not telling because you don't want to face the music, that's wrong, if you are not telling because it will be destructive toward recovery, then do what you have to do.