Notices

Awww...Come on...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Awww...Come on...

Am I the only insomniac out there....I know there are others who are in the same clean timeframe I am off the oxy train - not everyone can be getting a good nights sleep!

(What is the old saying about misery loving company)?

p.s. If you are getting good shut eye I truly am happy for you...
Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Spica, I'd say that I have to be an exception to the no sleep rule. When I went through heavy W/D, I felt HORRIBLE during the day... BAD W/D! Chills, sweats, stomach cramps, malaise, etc. But sleep? Oh, that was not a big problem for whatever reason. I could sleep 8-10 hours no problem. Mind you, I'd wake up a few times. Sometimes would take me 15-20 minutes to go back to sleep but I'd get that 8 hours in. I'd feel great when I woke up too! But darn if the W/D symptoms didn't kick in in 30 minutes.. THen have to tough out the W/D for the next 15-16 hours. I looked forward to sleep because it was the only time of the day I was at peace!
No oxy induced nightmares I was accustomed too. I was able to get up at 7 AM with ease... unlike the oxy.
Funny thing was, oxy puts many to sleep but I'm exactly the reverse! When I was taking them I couldn't go to sleep until midnight and then didn't want to wake up until 9-10AM...

Funny enough, the worse experience of not sleeping was when I had to wean myself off sleeping pills (the ones that rhyme with "lunaticesta")...
I had trouble sleeping for 2-3 nights on that!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah, when I was using the oxys I was energized, too.

Happy to hear you are sleeping - that really helps with the recovery process - just not there yet...
Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I'm not an opiate addict but have had some serious sleep issues for the last two or three years. I just relapsed (day 3 clean now) so I'm with you on the insomnia thing...
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back SpeedyJason - relapse is always a danger for us - glad to see you posting. How are you doing other than the sleep thing?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Spica,

I hate to tell you this, but I STILL don't sleep well at almost 10 months clean.

I've always been an insomniac as an adult, and I don't nap well. I have been taking a prescribed, mild antidepressant, which has sleep inducing qualities at very low dosage. It doesn't knock me out, by any means, but it gently lets me fall asleep, and I get maybe 4 hours a night. After that, I toss and turn, but I try to convince myself that I am at least "resting". Ha!

FT
Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Dear Spica

Spica
Never lost any sleep from oxys, but I did from other substances. I have faith in you Spica. You're gonna be alright
Life, Health, Prosperity Spica
neferkamichael
Old 10-12-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Spica,
I hate to tell you this, but I STILL don't sleep well at almost 10 months clean.
FT
ARGGHH!!! Not listening

I have to admit I was never much of a sleeper myself, five - six hours max most nights back when I was healthy and sane. I am resigned to the bizarre sleep patterns by now but - damn - if there isn't some crappy TV on late at night.

My mind has finally calmed down enough where I can read again so in addition to NA literature I just started rereading Candace Pert's "Molecules of Emotion." I had to quickly skim over a section where she talked about her opiate experience in a hospital which led her to track down the opiate receptor. No more romancing the first days of opioid usage for this little oxy head...

It is amazing to me that I read this book back before the oxy use had gotten out of hand and I cannot remember any of it - it is like picking it up all over again...

Hey Neferkamichael (too much to type - can I shorten it to NM?) - thanks for sharing - sending oodles of positive thoughts your way, too. (I still want to find a pig roast)
Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FT

Spica,

I love what you said on another thread, and I think it's going to become my next mantra:

The only new things I have been good at creating in the past few years is opiate receptors and fat cells. Time to move on to better creative enterprises.

Or something to that effect. Ha!

FT
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is an entire forum on insomnia and sleep issues:

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-12-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Spica, My sleep pattern is all over the place but I am a good napper so that helps. I try to go to bed at the same time each night but if I can't fall asleep I usually get back up and watch an old movie. I also like the old radio stories, the ones before TV (The Shadow, Our Miss Brooks,The LIfe of Riley and lots of westerns and 'film noir' radio. If they're on I can lay in bed and listen and usually fall asleep to the lull of voices. Music doesn't work for me, it gets me wound up instead.

...Ruby...
Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too can never sleep well (high or sober). However I think this is more to do with being very lonely (Cant take much more of every night just ME and cats in my bed). Sleep is something I do not get easily that is for sure, so i hear ya
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not sleeping much either because of anxiety and muscle cramps, but as you know I'm not as far along as you are. I even took 1mg of Xanax last night and still only slept about 3 hours before I was tossing and turning. Anyways misery does love company so maybe thus will make both of us feel better(:
Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Yes, I would probably get more sleep if it wasn't for my cats. They have me trained to their schedule and insist on sleeping in the bed with me every night. Little Boy has to sleep on my tummy or by my head where he likes to knead on my scalp and bite my hair...(not a bit spoiled) and two others roam around the bed as they please...and, of course, they are all nocturnal.

Bliss, it will get better - I did not sleep a wink for two and a half weeks when I first detoxed. Then I slowly progressed from wee cat naps to averaging 4-5 hours (some nights I only get one hour but that is still better than none). When I could not sleep at all I noticed I was starting to get really foggy and was wondering if I was heading for some kind of psychotic break but I made it through with flying colors!!

Last edited by Spica; 10-19-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: I give up - my typing sucks!!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've been sleeping in sections for many years....I prefer to.

Usually in bed about 3a/m. up again 7:30 with no alarm clock
Mid day nap..2 or so hours..no special time

No I am not de toxing or working tho when I did have a job I simply adjusted the sections to fit the job schedule ..

SR is open 24/7 however some hours are slower Our Newcomers Forum is the most active..