Administrator

Hen House Talk Part 18

continued from here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-17-a-20.html

D
Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

WOW! Part 18 already. If you figure each part is 500 and we are on part 18. That's 8500 posts! Unreal!

Well I'm off to the shower and then to bed.

Talk to ya'll later my little feathered friends.

TOD
Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

If you take the little stem off an avocado and it's green underneath and green on the bottom of the stem, that's how you can tell they're ripe. If it's brown or green with brown spots you're going to have a bad avocado. That's what I read anyways....I made some strawberry avocado salsa not to long ago. It was okay to eat when I had it, probably wouldn't make it again though. I prefer traditional salsa I guess...like restaurant style, not super chunky. I have a really good recipe for it and it's gotta be one of my favorite snacks.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Jay- i add mango to salsa, or salads, and love that flavor and texture.

i would love your recipe!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the avocado test advice. it can be tricky sometimes.
i also slice avocado, spread cream cheese on a cracker, top with slice of avocado, and add a dash of red hot sauce. yummy too.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Morning Hens and Roosters.

Avocado and water bread Puerto Rican style….A pinch of salt.

Puerto Rican water bread ( pan de agua ) is similar to French or Italian bread ...

Yummy….

TB
Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your all making me hungry!!! OH WAIT, I have an appetite??? Must be moving in the right direction!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((DJensen))) - glad you have an appetite!!

I've made fresh guacamole before but I think I used a prepared mix and just added the avocado. When I worked at SNS, got some REALLY good Mexican food, as everyone I worked with WAS Mexican. My mgr's husband would fix the pico-de-g?? stuff and always tell my mgr "you give Amy" (his Spanish was better than English). I stayed away from the spicy stuff.

Okay, after doing another 2-1/2 hours of research on my school's virtual lab, I am ready to scream. E-mailed the moron, but doubt I'll hear back and we have a "live" lecture tonight so maybe I can find out WTF she wants then?

I'm going to take a break from the laptop. Have some errands to run, need to check out the schedule for work, etc. so getting out of this house for a bit.

(((Med))) - where ARE you?!?!

(((Hugs))) to everyone else.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

UPDATE: Talked to dad, he agrees McD's isn't worth it so am turning in my letter of resignation when I go there. I will work this weekend, as I'm not the kind to just quit (except when I was on dope).

Feels like the weight of the world has just lifted off my shoulders!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Amy: Well I know you are breathing a sigh of relief to get away from that nerve racking hell hole of a place called McD's. There are some McD's out there that are worth working for, but you couldn't get hired because there would never be an opening.

Now you can focus more on your school work and the stores. I know you are ALREADY feeling MUCH lighter on your feet. You won't be needing those shoes inserts I gave you because you'll have springs in your shoes already! LOL

Love ya
TOD

djensen: Glad I could get your taste buds watering again! I'm over 7 months off the opiates. Where are you at with this trip?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
Jay- i add mango to salsa, or salads, and love that flavor and texture.

i would love your recipe!
Originally Posted by chicory View Post
thanks for the avocado test advice. it can be tricky sometimes.
i also slice avocado, spread cream cheese on a cracker, top with slice of avocado, and add a dash of red hot sauce. yummy too.
Generally I'm not a huge fan of fruit in my salsa, I've had mango salsa before too... I dunno. Just too weird a combo for me I guess.

Here's the salsa recipe I have. It says it makes 8 servings, you might have the be the judge of that cause I could probably eat the whole bowl myself within four days:

1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes and green chilies (The brand I use is Del Monte - "Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Mild Green Chilies")
1/4 onion, finely diced (I use a red onion)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (I use about half that cause I'm not big on cilantro)

I always add in half a jalapeno, seeded or not, it doesn't make a difference to me. The recipe doesn't call for it but I like it anyhow. Sooo, throw all that stuff in a chopper, blender, food processor type thing and blend to whatever consistency you wish (If you blend it very finely like I do, you might have to drain the can of tomatoes/green chillies before you toss it in there, otherwise it'll be very runny). It's really fast to make and personally, I don't think it tastes "canned" though some of you might... It's very simple but so far it's been my favorite salsa recipe I've made (and I've made many).

I also have a breakfast combination that my friend taught me and I thought it sounded disgusting before I tried it. He took a bagel, spread cream cheese on one side, scrambled an egg and plopped that on, and then put hot sauce on it. Sounds gross but surprisingly tastes really good!!

((Amy)) - Yay for no McDs.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

(((DJensen))) Welcome to Hen House Talk.

(((Amy))) Pico de Gallo or "Rooster's Beak". One of the sources for the name "rooster's beak" is the beak like shape and the red color of the chilies used to make it. It is so called because originally it was eaten with the thumb and forefinger, and retrieving and eating the condiment resembled the actions of a pecking rooster.

To celebrate hell hole of a place called McD's, I wrote this song for you.

let's celebrate, let's celebrate dance to the music.

*****! This is your celebration

Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)
Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)

There's a party goin' on right here
A celebration to last throughout the years

So bring your good times, and your laughter too
We gonna celebrate your party with you

Come on now
Celebration

Let's all celebrate and have a good time
Celebration

So am turning in my letter of resignation
I feel good things on the horizon
Celebration

Feels like the weight of the world has
just lifted off my shoulders
Celebration

Come on and celebrate, good times, tonight
(Celebrate good times, come on!)
'Cause everything's gonna be all right

Hugs to all.
TB
Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been cleaning, raking, doing that thing I do when my nerves are about to get the best of me! Going to bed every night literally exhausted which is good. Plus I really felt like a broken record and boring you all to bits. Just dealing with life.
Tonight I'm headed over to my mom's house to spend the night because I've got to get up with the birds to get my dental partial off tomorrow and caps put on which I'm happy about. Been dealing with ghetto mobile some more, the fuel release button popped off but I can still get gas.... I just pop the trunk and pull the tab. Finally got Patsy Cline out of the tape deck and never gonna put another tape in that slot again unless I really really like it and want to hear it forever.

Good news on getting done with McDonald's! That's good news. And good news about your classes and grades. Maybe the financial aide money will roll in soon if it hasn't already.

Timebuster, /Chicory it's good to know I'm in good company with many Sade fans. She's really something and I put her on when I want to be relaxed. Nice lyrics for Amy's resignation! lol.

Jay those were some awesome photos of animals. I've not seen any professional ones come out as good or clear, it's the resolution too, just so sharp.
It's a good hobby. Beware though of those snakes. He was cute in a snakey way but gave me shivers.

I had some animals on my roof the other night, not sure but it had to be raccoons, too loud for squirrels. Sounded like they were racing back and forth across the roof at 110 am. I know it wasn't cats.

HOpe all is good with everyone.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tiredofdrugs View Post
djensen: Glad I could get your taste buds watering again! I'm over 7 months off the opiates. Where are you at with this trip?
I am day 10, winding down today and I am doing OK, its getting better everyday!! The cravings are relentless, but Im hanging tough!!!

My daughter starts "Itty Bitty Tap and Jazz" tonight and daddy gets to take her!! WOOHOO, Im more excited than on refill day!!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FT

Hi guys,

I have 9 months clean today. I didn't feel like starting a new thread just to say that, since everybody seems to know me on most of the threads I post on anyway.

I'm here, I'm strong, and I'd glad to be a part of the SR family.

FT
Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(((FT))) - Way to go on 9 months!!!

(((DJenson))) - 10 days is GREAT, and even better that you get to take your daughter to "Itty bitty tap and jazz"..OMG, that sounds adorable!

(((Med))) - you do NOT sound like a broken record and I worry when you don't check in. Glad you're getting rid of the partials, and you could always put Nelly Furtado in your tape cassette..sing with me..."say it right"

(((TB))) - you are right on the money with the celebration! It was SO good to get out of this house, away from the laptop and I had the music cranked up and was car dancing all around town Oh yeah, and on the pico de gallo--it's one of those things I can say but not spell? My buddy, Candido, made some awesome pico...wow, I miss it. He and his wife (my mgr, and my shake-maker's dad) also worked at Olive Garden and he would send food, saying "you give Amy", though they pronounced my name as "ah me". He's also the one that worked at my old store, was in both robberies (like me) but he got hurt in both of them.

I gave my letter to Monjour, which I accidentally got wet, he sat there and played with it and it has a nice big hole in it...kinda fits.

He's sad, and I told him it was mostly school, that I also needed to work my other job as I get more money (and I KNOW he can't offer me any more money because Mrs. tightwad P) but that I had planned on not quitting for 4-6 weeks, when my car is paid off, but that after working the other night with C? I've had it.

At his STRONG recommendation, I called Mrs. P and left her a message (she never answers the phone when you call, but usually does call back) and told her I'd just turned in my resignation, had talked with M and that though it was in part because of school, it was also because of C and I would like to talk to her about the "issue with C". M IS going to talk to C, but said probably not right now, as then I would get flack all weekend from her.

I called Dotty and told her, she is working tomorrow, so I get to work in my back DT "no matter WHAT C says". You'll have to peel me off the ceiling, the next couple days because no matter WHAT happens at work, it's my last two days!!!

I may even bring cake or cupcakes to work, Sat. night, to celebrate

Oh yeah...just watched the interview with the guy that was pulled out from under the burning car. Wow, nothing but gratitude, and gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Moron never responded to my e-mail (big surprise) but have the "live" lecture with her in 54 minutes...unless she's almost 15 minutes late like she was LAST week. Sorry (((TOD))) but this ex military nurse does NOT impress me, one bit.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-15-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djensen View Post
My daughter starts "Itty Bitty Tap and Jazz" tonight and daddy gets to take her!! WOOHOO, Im more excited than on refill day!!!!
This has to be the best line I've heard in forever...happier than on refill day, snicker, do I know all about that!

((Amy!)) yea on MD's! must have felt great handing him that piece of paper....on to bigger and better things.....

((Med)) so NOT a broken record! and even if you were, you'd be OUR little broken record....we'd love you anyways

((TB)) - you don't like Mexican food?? I'd say 'who in the world doesn't like mexican food,' but I guess now I know...

((TOD)) - don't know Jethro but becomes more funny and mildy frightening with each post (poor taco cashier...)

((Chic)) yea for vacation! wish I was still on mine....well.....actually I was glad to get back to work, but I'm sure I'll be needing a couple days off again soon.

((Jason)) FINE, you can keep the camera....I love taking pic's but unfortunately am nowhere NEAR as talented as you are at it.....the cameras are pretty advanced now for sure, but I still think the person behind the camera has a lot to do with how the pic's turn out for sure.

to all I've missed, hope you're having a great day.

has ((Kelsey)) been around or have I been missing posts along the way....if you're here hope you're hand is doing ok and things are alright......

kind of a blah day, been a strange few days actually...mind wandering to places it shouldn't and making things difficult. Life's way of keeping me on my toes I guess....making sure recovery isn't easy for me.....
Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((Krista))) - (((Jethro))) is (((TOD's))) hubby. We've decided she's either granny or Ellie Mae Clampett, so hubby gets to be (((Jethro))). He likes it, trust me. When I was at their house, trying to take a picture, I said "JETHRO" and he turned around and said "what?"

Sorry you're having a blah day and that the mind is wondering to places it shouldn't go, but just tell it "not an option...next" and distract yourself. It's what worked for me That, along with remembering how dreadful I felt at the end of my relapse.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Krista: Let's see! Jethro? Weather man. Loves his Silkie Chickens we have for pets. Maria now being his "Little Girl" since losing Morgan. He's always fussing at me for taking her out at night to cricket hunt. He's more protective of her than he is his own daughter. LOL Daughter is 21 years old though. Married and has two sons now. He's also a guru at fixing ANYTHING! He replaced the engine in my car two years ago. He's Italian/ Spainard. So his Italian temper and my Irish temper have a go at it off and on. But nothing drastic. It flares more on his part when I try to get rid of something that has turned into a dust collector for four or five years. He's not a hoarder, just thinks everything is fixable. Plus he dumpster dives. So that ought to give you an ideal on what I live with around here. I'm a neat person and the mess gets to me around here. That's when the snarling begins. There is 3 couches in our living room. He's got an attitude today because I called Good Will about getting rid of 2 of them. Now you understand what I deal with at times around here.

We had words today as a matter of fact. He was out spraying ant hills in the back yard. I was taking the boys out and he said there's a big hawk circling the girls in the pen. So I brought the rifle out with me with the last two boys. He cocked an attitude and told me he was headed to the front yard and wasn't going to carry the rifle with him. I informed him he shouldn't have mentioned the hawk as a threat because I wouldn't have brought him the rifle. I then told him to lay the rifle in the wagon with the sprayers. He started walking off. So I politely said; "I don't know what got your panties twisted today, but you need to get them untwisted. Also if he wanted his clothes clean and dry then I was headed back inside to take his jeans out to hang on the line and to NOT talk to me the rest of the day with his nasty attitude". Humph! He avoided me for four hours. That's how we solve our problems around here. I wasn't going to stand around in the back yard with the rifle waiting for the hawk to show back up when he was already outside and was going to be out there for awhile!!! I usually get him saying, "stand down Sarge" when I get like that. HE needs to remember I'M the one that wore Army combat boots for 22 years, not him. I learned to have patience, he didn't/hasn't!!

We do though have a unique story. I posted it here on the HH some where. It's worth reading.

Amy: Managers know when they are losing good workers. I'm sure M isn't happy about losing you, but it has sounded over several posts like his hands are tied in how much he can do.

Med: Are you saying you are a copy of Memorex? You know you feel better if you come here and unload. Don't sit around holding it in. You'll look like a bag of microwave popcorn if you do!!

TB: Cute song. How's the knee holding up now that you are back at work?

FT: Congrat's on the nine months. I bet there are gold stars all over your calendar pages.

Krista: Just remember! Three minutes is all our brains focus on a thought. You can make it thru three minutes. If you need more of an incentive to not go there! Add up your clean time as well as how much money it's going to take to start back on that stuff. How much sh!t will you have to go thru when you decide to stop taking them again. Morn the loss of them, grieve over the negative side effects and move on. Take a walk with your friend on that country path.

djensen: It does get much better once you've been off your DOC. I'm not going to say it gets easier, because it doesn't for me, but it does get better. The more time "we" have clean the better it is for ourselves and others around us. We start realizing little things we missed while messed up. It's like opening our minds to a new world. I see things and experience things more so now than I did while popping pills. And I laugh so much more than I use to. I catch the urge of wanting to pop a pill every once awhile, but I haul my ass to another area and get busy doing something. That thought goes away and I chastise myself for even going there. Because I sure don't want to start over again. That REALLY SUCKS!

Jay: How are you doing?

Lenina: Where are you stranger?

Kelsey: Time to report in? You're AWOL again!

TPA: It's been too long on getting a report on your tests and procedures. What's happened with you?

Okay, got to go check on dinner. I'm warming up a pan of chilli. It's a cool 64 degrees. Jethro has been gone since 4:00. He's at my parents helping them with a pump problem on their well. Putz! Ran off and left me to do all the cleaning of the crates and getting all the kids in by myself. I guess he'll catch it when he gets home! NOT! He'll say; "You're a big girl, I knew you could handle it w/o me"! LOL But God help the kids if they had to depend on HIM to get everything done correctly. They'd be wanting their momma real quick.

Love to ya'll
TOD
Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I seem to be okay, I think the sleeping thing was a fluke. I'll be seeing my psych docs on Saturday and I'm antsy about it...couldn't tell you why. Whatever. I think I'll finally head back to my apartment this coming week. God it's been a long time and I miss Holly and Darby.