Notices

Hypo-Manic

Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Newcomer

Red face Hypo-Manic

I was diagnosied as "hypo-manic" with PTSD and rx'd Cymbalta 30mg daily. Don't want to be on any medications, so I've stopped entirely. The cost of the perscription was to much anyway. I'd appreciate any feedback on how to cope with what I expect to happen when I'm not on anything. Suggestions on how to avoid the deep depression that follows the "manic".
Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you told your doc that you've quit taking the cymbalta...?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

The only feedback you need right now is from your doctor. Contact him or her immediately.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA has a pamphlet with very good advice: no alcoholics should play doctor.

But that means following the advice of a doctor. Please call and talk to the doc.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Newcomer

Thanks for the responses. It's been 8 days since taking the cymbalta and the withdrawls were/are minimal. Some headaches, sleeplessness, and tingly feelings in my head. Everyday it gets better, so, for now at least, I'll stay off all anti-depressants. Thanks again for your responses.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

PLease call your DR. as soon as posssible, just because you are not having any issues with your meds right now, you will. As a nurse, I can tell you that being Hypo-Manic can have its consequences.............you need to be on meds.

Blessings,
Kahlia
Old 09-17-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Part of my responsibility in having mental illness is making sure I am taking the medications prescribed. I fought for a long time against medication, and ended up suicidal, which I never want to be again.

There is no shame in requiring medications to treat mental illness. I am concerned that you quit the cymbalta cold turkey. I am on cymbalta, along with other meds, and would never discontinue a medication without the guidance of a doctor.

Please reconsider medication for your hypo mania and PTSD.

Sending you hugs of support!
Old 09-18-2011, 02:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Again, DryBlanket, have you told your doctor that you've quit taking your medication? There is a reason they prescribe this stuff you know. It's very important that you discuss this issue with someone who actually went to medical school. You are not a doctor. So talk it over with someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Newcomer

Thanks to all who responded to this post. I am doing very well now that the initial withdrawl symptoms have past. I do have a limited medical background and believe me when I say that if I felt the need to see a doctor I would have. For me at least, I desire to not be on anything but follow a strict diet and are aware of my "triggers"! Thanks again.