Notices

Could I possibly be in withdrawal???

Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could I possibly be in withdrawal???

Hi there, I'm new to recovery and also to SR. I have a question (here's a short synopsis) I had been off opiates for almost 2 years, but alcohol only 2 weeks. Last Wednesday(8-31-11) I was diagnosed with strep throat. I went to the doc and he gave me hydrocodone syrup(told him I was in recovery) He gave me enough to use every 4 hours X 5days equal to about 40mg of hydrocodone daily. I had my husband control my dosages and threw any excess out Monday morning. My question is, can I be in withdrawal today after only taking the medication for 5 days? If not it's probably just the strep.

Thanks in advance,
TTGS21
Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are similar but I didn't have a bad throat, I was in the ICU with a hole in my foot... I went the first 2 days without sleep and wincing at the pain until I gave in.

I would ask your Doc, but if it was me, I would guess the withdrawals are more physcological because you're sitting there waiting for something to happen. (I say that because I've been doing that, but the only thing going on is that I have a fever, but it's because of the infection, not W/D's..... I personally already asked my Doctor and Nurses about that (for my case--yours is clearly different unless you have a wounded foot lodged in your throat. lol). Sorry, trying to lighten the mood. I've been torturing myself over this.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR TTGS21

I'm afraid we can't answer medical questions here.
I'd certainly confer with your Dr if this is worrying you

D
Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you have to wonder whether or not you're in withdrawals, you're probably not in withdrawals.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with NightSD, if you are wondering and you dont "know", then in my opinion I would say probably not. I am on day 3 today I am am still in WD's and I can definatly tell.............
Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

are you feeling any better? DEFINATELY see a Doctor, but I did and still do manifest W/D symptoms (a psychologic mind "poke")... But only a trained professional can confirm what is happening to you. Look around all the posts titled "Withdrawl" or "Diary of Detoxing" or "Day one of (DOC) detoc", etc, etc. Those are a collection of real symptoms, and you'll see they vary from person to person and from DOC to DOC. (i.e. Alcohol w/d is different that opiate w/d). One is dangerous and could kill you without supervision,the other just makes you feel like you are dying, but again-- ONLY a Dr. can help you figure this out. If he/she does tell you that you are NOT in withdrawal, just try to get the psychological suggestions to yoursef under control. You shouldn't feel like crap if you don't have to.

Again---- Talk to a medical professional.

I have infact manifested symptoms when looking back-- didn't have any, but I also checked with a PA to make sure. Don't take risks with your life.

Ok, that was a ramble, but you get it? As most of the veterans here know, I just relapsed without wanting to because of a week long stay in the hospital and what they prescribed and I've been kicking myself in the ass ever since (Why was I so weak that I couldn't hang on a bit longer without having narcotics added to my drip, Why couldn't I have done this or done that, but in the end, I'm finally realizing, they could have and probably would have forced me to because in some states, withholding meds during an extremely painful condition, EVEN AT THE REQUEST OF THE PATIENT, can later come back as "cruel treatment" of the patient because the patient is in no condition to decide what is best for them, leaving the Dr. open to a lawsuit. (I bet some of you didn't know this). I trust my Doctors because they did/do know my problem, so they let me push it off as long as I could.
Thank Carl, God and everyone here that I left there not wanting to start where I left off.... but I won't say it's been easy... relapse (at my own hands) is creeping around the corner. Staying sober is so important now. ONE GOOD THING DID HAPPEN THOUGH--- The crap they gave me did kill the pain and make me sleep after 2 without sleeping and, as I recall it--- I didn't so much like the way it made me feel mentally... so I'm super happy about that.