Detox SOVIET Style -- two to a cage

Old 09-03-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FT

Detox SOVIET Style -- two to a cage

The New York Times has this on the front page today:

In Russia, Harsh Remedy for Addiction Gains Favor

Here are some excerpts:

YEKATERINBURG, Russia — The treatment center does not handcuff addicts to their beds anymore. But caged together on double-decker bunks with no way out, they have no choice but to endure the agonies of withdrawal, the first step in a harsh, coercive approach to drug treatment that has gained wide support in Russia.

Outside the chamber, known as the quarantine room, 60 men who have emerged — after as long as a month with only bread and water or gruel — work at menial jobs, lift weights or cook in a regimen of continued isolation from the world that staff members said usually takes a year.

“To put someone in handcuffs, it calms them psychologically,” Mr. Shipachev said as he paged through photographs of men shackled to their beds or to each other. “Now, it’s the old-timers who calm the new ones. A guy shouts, ‘I’m going to die now!’ and everyone just laughs at him, because they’ve been there themselves. It would be much worse for him if he was alone. The best thing is to just go to sleep.”

The principle of this treatment “is just to stop taking drugs and tough it out,” said Yevgeny Roizman, 48, a founder of the program in 1999 whose celebrity as an antinarcotics vigilante won him a term in Parliament in 2003.

“The most important thing is to force them to quit and keep them clean a certain time, so the system cleans itself out,” he said. “If they behave, they can go home.”

A year ago, President Dmitri A. Medvedev ordered a new narcotics control strategy, saying, “Prophylactic activities, medical aid and rehabilitation of patients with drug addiction are not sufficiently effective.”

“Is it wrong to rescue a drowning person by pulling their hair?” asked Yevgeny Malenkin, a founder of City Without Drugs, summing up the public view. “If people say it is cruel and inhumane, let them teach us how to do it otherwise.”

Mr. Ivanov, the head of Russia’s drug control programs, agreed. The support for Mr. Bychkov “is a spontaneous reaction of society to plunging into the abyss of drug addiction,” he told a news conference at the time. “Russia is virtually buried in Afghan heroin. In a situation like this I cannot but sympathize with Igor Bychkov.”

The whole article can be accessed here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/03/wo...r=1&ref=health
Old 09-03-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

That is so weird. I don't know if I think it's terrible or actually an okay I idea...
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, one thing is for sure, if you survive the treatment, you probably won't want to ever have to go through THAT again.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its a far cry from the "celebrity rehab" type places. Probably works a whole lot better too. Reminds me of detox pods in some of the jails I have been in. Well I applaud the government that has the nuts to treat the problem head on and not cater to politically correct ideas about recovery.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Here's the best part:

"According to court testimony, parents had paid the defendant, Igor Bychkov, 23, to seize addicts and detain them in a center affiliated with City Without Drugs. There, the addicts were handcuffed to their beds and given a diet of water, bread, onion and garlic."

That's what I want -- another addict who hasn't had a shower in a month, handcuffed next to me, only having eaten water, bread, onion, and garlic."

FT
Old 09-03-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What no Pheasant for dinner? Maybe they just make them eat sushi.....
Old 09-03-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That's what I want -- another addict who hasn't had a shower in a month, handcuffed next to me, only having eaten water, bread, onion, and garlic."

Yeah, the guy handcuffed to YOU is thinking the same thing.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

If that was the case, I would beg them not to eat the onion or garlic. Gross.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is the price to re-enter society. Remember jails, instutions or death? This reporter may not have given us all the facts. Surely once the addict is healthier they will be involved in some kind of group therapy or behaviour modification. Life is harsh there and people are tough. That Government will not tolerate opiate addiction when it already has huge Alcohol
problems. They are trying to save people. Would I want to be tossed into a stinky institution with detoxers puking, freaking out etc? No. Although 28 days in spin dry's don't usually get the job done. (IMO). All this s**t with drugs, alcohol, is really damaging everyone.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well we all know how being forced into treatment works, it doesn't, we have to want this for ourselves. I think its' a bit early to see how successful this treatment plan works.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I needed to run out of options before I had even the slightest chance of recovering. I could only imagine the outcome had I been forced to choose between the volcanic mud bath or the hot rock massage treatment. AA/NA has been described as repetitive, simplistic, and poorly written. That is exactly what this addict needed. I thank God and Bill for that. Just sayin...
Old 09-03-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In Soviet Russia, drugs quit you!

You guys should look up "crocodile". It's like the meth of opiates. In Russia they convert codeine into this form of morphine, and they use such toxic chemicals that a lot of people who inject it will die within a year from all the toxic infections they get.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FT

The Detox Sleeping Bag

NEW AND IMPROVED!

THE DETOX SLEEPING BAG!

Do you think maybe they should consider this method in Russia? Maybe it would add to the efficacy of their current system?

Old 09-04-2011, 02:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information onthe detox sleeping bag FT. I've ordered one for the next time I quit dope! Lol jk.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

I would get claustrophobic in that thing. That would do the exact opposite of calming me and relaxing me! I can't even stand mummy bags let alone something that encases me up to my neck like that.