Notices

Tramadal for foot accident

Old 08-31-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tramadal for foot accident

Hello,

I am a recovering alcoholic, sober since just a few weeks (and hoping to keep it that way).
I had however had a foot injury which hurt pretty bad, it's very swollen and I have to go to the hospital tomorrow to make photo's.
In the meantime I was prescribed Tramadol because regular painkillers just wouldn't do anything, and I'm in quite some pain (even when just sitting down it hurts, when I stand up I'd scream a couple of times).

I have abused tranquilizers before, which I'm not proud of.
I think I have a bit of an addictive personality (I'm also a smoker).

Now I'm in pain and wondering wether to take that first pill. I will probably have difficulty sleeping due to the pain, especially if I happen to move.
The doctor said 3 times a day, 50mg tablets.
Am I going to be able to stick to the recommended dose. Just how addictive is this stuff?

(I don't know much about opiates in general, I just remember the few times I was on codeine, I rather enjoyed the feeling).

I have 30 of them, is that enough to develop an addiction? Or should I just not worry?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You only have thirty of them. There isn't a worry. However if you're like me, the very first opiate high will leave you heavily mentally addicted.

I suggest you dispose of them by mailing them to me. Just kidding
Old 08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Funny you brought this up, I dealt with the same thing last week, actually ... My story shadows yours, except mine was given to me for a herniated disc, in my back.... I abused painkillers and was afraid to take the tramacet (which is Tramadol with acetaminophen) ... I, unfortunately did abuse them - not so much in the way that I have gone scouring for more but I did take more than the recommended dose... and I'm beyond ashamed for that - and now, I don't have anything to assist with the pain until I can get a medical flight down south....
Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Faith,

There is something called "cross addiction" you might want to be aware of. It's basically just the concept that someone who has been addicted to one substance can easily become addicted to another.

I would be up front with the doc about your tendencies and ask for a substitute drug. If there isn't one, be VERY careful how you proceed.

I just stopped oxycodone 8 months ago, and I am personally scared to death of taking another narcotic pain medication EVER again. Even though Tramadol technically is not a "Schedule" drug, it still works on the opiate receptors and can be very addictive.

FT
Old 09-04-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tramadol is addictive, despite many people thinking it's not. I relapsed onto Oxy's because I took Tramadol for pain. I would be VERY careful! If you are in that much pain and have to take it, have someone else close to you keep the pills for you. That way you won't be compulsed to take more if you like the feeling it gives you. 30 pills is enough to get addicted. Maybe not for a non-addict but since you have the history that you do with alcohol, I would say you're in danger of becoming addicted pretty easily. Just be careful!

Hope you feel better soon!
IWBF
Old 09-05-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have my foot in plaster now.. seems this has helped a lot with the pain. (although it's far from fun)
Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well the one good side from this all: there's no way I'm gonna go out to get drinks, walking on crutches is apparantly not easy and way exhausting. (besides, that would be dangerous!)