Notices

Living Life on Life's Terms

Old 08-29-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Resilient One

Living Life on Life's Terms

Does anyone practice this in their own recovery?

This coping skill, or more of a new learned behavior, has been one of the biggest helps to me since my clean date. It's sort of forced this worrying, hyper, a+++ personality to take it easy. Combined with the "be in the moment" philosophy, I found I've become more easygoing than I have ever, in my life, been before. I was never taught these skills. I was taught that life was too hard to live happily and that it was merely to be tolerated, begrudgingly.

Even while doing the hated chores like dishes or a deep clean of the house, I force myself not do it as fast and efficiently, while still committing to doing them thoroughly and completely. When I make the bed, I take the time to fold the sheet over "just so", just to be in the moment. It's really amazed me just how much this has calmed my nerves and slowed me down.

For someone who has lied on the couch either withdrawing or zoned out for the past 5 years, getting up to put a dish in the sink was an accomplishment for me. All the while, I worried about everything still. Now I've got the yard almost completely de-shrubbed/de-vined and things are looking quite nice in here - finally. I've always been jealous of the type "b" personalities because their philosophy was so much less stressful but never had the key to converting myself into one, until now.

I'd like to hear strategies from others in this same vein so that I can adopt more of this into my life.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

one of the first things I did was begin to take pride in my appearance and how neat I was keeping my apartment.
I planted flowers on my balconey for the first time

Copeing skills? Not really....simple improvements that gave me pleasure.....:
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What does that mean, to live life on life's terms? I thought it just meant to accept things you can't control but that's not what you guys make it sound like. Sorry if that's a stupid question.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My personal interpretation is that it means to develop a zen attitude. You cannot control 95% of what happens in your life. So why worry about it? Worrying only makes things worse.

You need to pick your battles carefully. If you try and fight everything you'll lose the war.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I learned it to mean that instead of feeling like you're always the victim, that in recovery we need to learn to take action to take control of our lives. Start by making your bed in the morning, keep things clean. Then tackle more complex things after you get the hang of that. There doesn't need to be any higher purpose other than de-victimizing your mindset.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by MyGirlMimi View Post
Does anyone practice this in their own recovery?

This coping skill, or more of a new learned behavior, has been one of the biggest helps to me since my clean date. It's sort of forced this worrying, hyper, a+++ personality to take it easy. Combined with the "be in the moment" philosophy, I found I've become more easygoing than I have ever, in my life, been before. I was never taught these skills. I was taught that life was too hard to live happily and that it was merely to be tolerated, begrudgingly.

Even while doing the hated chores like dishes or a deep clean of the house, I force myself not do it as fast and efficiently, while still committing to doing them thoroughly and completely. When I make the bed, I take the time to fold the sheet over "just so", just to be in the moment. It's really amazed me just how much this has calmed my nerves and slowed me down.

For someone who has lied on the couch either withdrawing or zoned out for the past 5 years, getting up to put a dish in the sink was an accomplishment for me. All the while, I worried about everything still. Now I've got the yard almost completely de-shrubbed/de-vined and things are looking quite nice in here - finally. I've always been jealous of the type "b" personalities because their philosophy was so much less stressful but never had the key to converting myself into one, until now.

I'd like to hear strategies from others in this same vein so that I can adopt more of this into my life.
this concept that i first heard in A.A. back in 89' is simply a surrendering.. acknowledging that am powerless in so many ways to do anything about a multitude of things it's just a very important "thing" to remember for me. i have to keep telling myself: "you can't do anything about it" and then accept that.. like it.. or not.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeenDown2Times View Post
I learned it to mean that instead of feeling like you're always the victim, that in recovery we need to learn to take action to take control of our lives. Start by making your bed in the morning, keep things clean. Then tackle more complex things after you get the hang of that. There doesn't need to be any higher purpose other than de-victimizing your mindset.
Absolutely! I personally never felt like a victim of anything. I had the opposite problem, self-hate and shame for what I've done to others. Either extreme is bad. I meet a lot of addicts who are using "because my husband is an ass hole", because of this or that. The truth is that you are responsible for your circumstances. You use drugs, the key word being you. Unless someone is sticking that needle into your arm, it's your choice.