Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

10 Days Clean from Vicodin: an Adderall Miracle

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been lurking for a few weeks and thought it was time to post and say "thank you" for being here.

I've been using Vicodin on and off for five years and in the last two years it got out of control; I would go CT due to running out my script early, endure terrible withdrawals, then start it again when my refill came through. Once I had two weeks of sobreity, but lost it when my stupid addict thinking convinced me that I could handle it if I promised myself to take the Vic only for pain (that lasted two hours). In the last few months I was also abusing scripts I have for Ambien, especially when I ran short of Vicodin.

I abused prescription substances in an attempt to handle terrible depression and anxiety that did not respond to SSRIs or benzos.

In a fit of "God, I'm tired of pursuing the eternal Vicodin pill" I found a good psych and have been seeing her for five weeks. She diagnosed me with Adult ADD and I started Adderall 12 days ago. Two days into taking the Adderall the craving for opiates totally left -- it was just gone, completely. Today is a tough day, with depression withdrawal and pain, but the craving for opiates that tortured me through other attempts to quit is absent and I'm not having any problems with maintaining the prescribed dosage of Adderall.

I am blown away by this turn of events. Thankful, but blown away.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Crocodile

D
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beware of taking one control substance to get off another its a slippery slope.Does the new Dr. know about the opiate addiction.I hope this works for you just be really careful
Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tbeit View Post
Beware of taking one control substance to get off another its a slippery slope.Does the new Dr. know about the opiate addiction.I hope this works for you just be really careful
Hi TB: yes, it was the primary reason I went to see her and she set up a taper program for me and offered suboxone (which I was too afraid to take, it seems like a substance I would like -- a lot). I was going to begin the slow taper off Vic, then I had the experience of not craving it.

Thus far, I have no compulsion to take more Adderall than prescribed. I'm seeing the doc once a week throughout August so we can carefully monitor the situation together.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hate to rain on your parade, but I feel obliged to tell you that this is a really bad move. Terrible move.

I was an oxy addict and during periods when I was trying to lay low with the painkillers I had a doc prescribe me adderall. I thought I had "Adult ADD" too, but it was just another drug that replaced the empty feeling inside, made me feel stable and helped me focus, and gave me motivation to get through the day. Needless to say, this was not in best interests and left me much worse off.

Not only are they terrible for your health, but Amphetamines are a very powerful and addictive drug. They give you unnatural energy and induce a false sense of well-being, euphoria, and confidence. It's no miracle that they are curbing your cravings for opiates- adderall hits the pleasure centers of your brain, HARD. Harder than cocaine for many people.

Did you tell your psych about your history of drug abuse? If so, any legit doc would know not to prescribe Adderall. There's no two ways about it, it's a bad move for anyone with a history of substance abuse, and if it's helping to relieve your depression and anxiety, that's warning sign #1.

I trust that you can find healthier options to deal with the "adult ADD", though I know you won't do it until you suffer the consequences that I'm telling you will come.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stride34 View Post
I hate to rain on your parade, but I feel obliged to tell you that this is a really bad move. Terrible move.

I was an oxy addict and during periods when I was trying to lay low with the painkillers I had a doc prescribe me adderall. I thought I had "Adult ADD" too, but it was just another drug that replaced the empty feeling inside, made me feel stable and helped me focus, and gave me motivation to get through the day. Needless to say, this was not in best interests and left me much worse off.

Not only are they terrible for your health, but Amphetamines are a very powerful and addictive drug. They give you unnatural energy and induce a false sense of well-being, euphoria, and confidence. It's no miracle that they are curbing your cravings for opiates- adderall hits the pleasure centers of your brain, HARD. Harder than cocaine for many people.

Did you tell your psych about your history of drug abuse? If so, any legit doc would know not to prescribe Adderall. There's no two ways about it, it's a bad move for anyone with a history of substance abuse, and if it's helping to relieve your depression and anxiety, that's warning sign #1.

I trust that you can find healthier options to deal with the "adult ADD", though I know you won't do it until you suffer the consequences that I'm telling you will come.
Wow! Thanks for the support.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No problem.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Everyone is different and many of us are a lot alike. Just be careful and do your best to always ask yourself the hard questions and answer them honestly.

Welcome crocodille. I'm glad you are feeling better.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FNB3 View Post
Everyone is different and many of us are a lot alike. Just be careful and do your best to always ask yourself the hard questions and answer them honestly.

Welcome crocodille. I'm glad you are feeling better.
Thank you. I am handling myself like a very fragile vase, LOL.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You do what you want croc, but the reason I came down on you like that is because it's reckless and borderline offensive to be touting amphetamine use as a miracle on a public SUBSTANCE ABUSE forum. Most of us know better, but not all. People here are struggling and are looking for real help and healthy solutions.

PS. $$ Your psych just wants you to keep coming back $$
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stride34 View Post
You do what you want croc, but the reason I came down on you like that is because it's reckless and borderline offensive to be touting amphetamine use as a miracle on a public SUBSTANCE ABUSE forum. Most of us know better, but not all. People here are struggling and are looking for real help and healthy solutions.

PS. $$ Your psych just wants you to keep coming back $$
Stride: please do a bit of research on adult ADD and the effects that the correct medication can have on a non-neurotypical brain. I shared my experience precisely because Adderall, when taken for ADD, has the opposite effect of euphoria and speediness. I, too, am looking for support and your posts are offensive.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You gotta understand that it's coming from a place of concern. You're making me a look like the bad guy for not "supporting" you, when everyone who is supporting you is doing you a lot more harm. The last thing I want to do is start fights on this forum, do you think that's why I come here? I feel an obligation to say something when I read posts like this.

You can pull the ADD card on me again, but it's not fair and I don't think you're being honest with yourself. You're making me sound like some anti-drug freak. This isn't an argument about the long-term effectiveness of Adderall for people w/ ADD and no history of substance abuse. The medicine exists for a reason, and I believe it can improve the quality of peoples lives in certain cases. But this is a substance abuse forum. And the premise of your post is about how amphetamines are making you feel better during your recovery from Vicodin, and getting rid of your cravings. It's pretty black and white.

I promise you, that if you told your psych about your drug problems and she still prescribed you Adderall (ADD or no ADD), she is either totally incompetent or just a drug dealer. One or the other. The fact that she tried to push suboxone on you for a Vicodin habit makes me think it's the latter. FYI, the doctor that prescribed me suboxone and adderall (he "diagnosed" me with ADD) a few years back lost his license. Thought he was the nicest guy at the time, because he was meeting my needs and making me feel good. He couldn't care less about me, he just wanted my $.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

lets remember the medical rule.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Both sides have been adequately put here, and more than once.
Time to move on - thanks

D
Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anyway, that will be my last post on the fora, I'm going to bow out gracefully now. Posting a thread was a real emotional risk for me and I should have known better than to put myself out there. Thanks for the good lurking experiences. Reading about others' experiences and courage helped get me to where I am now and I'm grateful for that.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you change your mind and come back Crocodile.

You may not agree with everything people post on this site - I don't either - but I know everyone here takes time out of their day to post and try to help.

The door is always open here...best of luck to you
D
Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Crocodile, stick around. We need the social practice.

You could be like me:

Come on as a Newb and **** everyone off

Get warned about it and not care

Get banned (consequences suck) for life

Be humble and beg to get back in when I've ran away all my life

Grow