Notices

Getting a job?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting a job?

I haven't tried to get a job in over a year. I've been pregnant and now a stay at home mom, so I've been busy with other things. My husband is in the military and we survive just fine with just his salary and he doesn't mind if I stay at home, go to school or get a job. He just wants me happy. We are soon to move overseas to Guam, a tiny little island. I'm afraid I will get island fever, so I want to try to get a job and meet new people besides military spouses. I have two misdemeanors, Theft and a BE. This has made it so hard for me to get a job previously, all of my experience has been in retail and I have not gone to college. The college on Guam is not accredited, so I don't want to go there. How do I go about explaining this to a future employer? I want to be honest on my applications, but I find that I never get a call back because I'm honest and list my misdemeanors. Also let me point out that my misdemeanors have nothing to do with stealing from an employer. Should I put "will explain" on my application part of where it asks me about criminal history? I feel ruined by this, this all happened in 2007 and I haven't been able to get a job since that wasn't paying me under the table. So I have no job history since 2006 and that was during my using years and my job history then was shakey. How do I recover from all of this? Any advice from anyone who has gone through something similar trying to get a job?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe you can get it taken off your record if you have been clean (criminally) I would try to talk to a lawyer.Look it up its called expunged and it is possible good luck
Old 08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe you could pursue a higher education on line. Perhaps that would increase your potential job choices.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can think of a couple of ideas:

(1) Lie and hope they don't run a background check.

(2) Have you considered starting your own business or working online from home?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you have to put it on the application, do it. Just write yes if that's all that's required. If your asked about it, explain it. What you have done is done. A regret. If your talent is what the job requires don't let it stand in your way. Keep it brief and change the subject back to why your the one for the job.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I can think of a couple of ideas:

(1) Lie and hope they don't run a background check.
That's a real bad idea. Lies will never help you. Lies will destroy you.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EntreNous View Post
That's a real bad idea. Lies will never help you. Lies will destroy you.
My viewpoint just isn't that black & white. True, I don't think lying is the better of the two options. And it's not a good feeling know you've lied... but sometimes, the end can justify the means. I know because I've done this, and both parties benefited.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I never see a benefit in lieing but I do see why you would think that.

Back to the OP.
This is my life story.
Boy oh boy do I go through this all the time.
Yea, They have gotten pretty slick on these applications over the years. Not just asking about felonies but now its misdemeanors as well and most employers want to do background checks where they not only look to see your convictions but all the things you have ever been charged with right down to every last traffic ticket. Which by the way is illegal in some states after a certain amount of years. They are allowed to see all convictions no matter how long but its like up to 5 to 7 yrs on charges if you were not convicted and they should not even be considering any of that if it has been longer. I have a 25 page background report. Lucky me.
Only 8 convictions, none of which are felonies. All non violent misdemeanors.
If it were me, I would put yes and when they ask to explain, I would put will explain or will explain in person. If they ask for one.
I also try to tell them the positive qualities about why they should hire me. I put it right on the application. Why they should give me a chance. Tell them what they want to hear about a strong work ethic. How you will go above and beyond expectation and are always looking for more responsibility and stuff like that. I am like that so I make it a point to say those things. And if they do give me a chance. They are never sorry. I have always gotten nothing but praise and have always stood out at every single job I have always had since the time I could work as a teen. One thing I can say with 100% conviction is that my work ethic is very strong and stands on its own.
Good luck. Just dont get discouraged. I use to get so upset and get so depressed because of this very thing. Dont. Just be patient and keep trying. Someone will eventually give you a chance. Just dont stop trying.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FT

One of the best ways to get a job is to volunteer your time. Seriously.

Volunteer organizations are more forgiving about your background, and you do need to be honest in the long run or you are going to get caught.

Volunteering creates a resume that looks a lot better than no work experience over a period of years. You can honestly state the duties of your position at a volunteer organization on your resume, just like any other job. Volunteer opportunities are available at hospitals, animal shelters, homeless missions, food banks, and more and more and more.

Sometimes the volunteer organizations will even hire you. If not, you end up with at least some great references and a work history.

It's totally worth it. I also agree with on line courses. Watch out for some of them who take tons of your money, more than a regular school. But there are good ones, too. The good ones are usually affiliated with a college or university that has a physical location, and not just an address on the internet.

Good luck!

FT
Old 08-01-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Don't know what state laws are in your area but most employers are able to look at your last 7 years only...similar to credit...honesty is best police but look for the question wording and if "7" years is mentioned...until thats over that's just one of the prices we have to pay.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Eternally Grateful 4/25/08

Navy,

I wholeheartedly agree with FT on volunteering. It is a great way to add experience to your resume, while meeting SO MANY good contacts! It shows employers that you are responsible and accountable. Even if the organization you are volunteering for doesn't hire you, you will meet someone who can hook you up with an opportunity. Good luck to you and congrats on your upcoming move!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Since I am in HR, I can tell you that it is critical to be honest. I agree with others that you need to volunteer or work PT to be able to update your resume to show your desire, skills and abilities. I don't know about Guam, but in the U.S., the competition is fierce for positions now and the employers have the luxury of choosing candidates with clear backgrounds and good credit. You may wish to also return to retail as those positions do not always involve background checks. I even know of banks that run credit, but not backgrounds, so it may be worthwhile to put on feelers once you get to Guam to find out hiring practices of some of the employers.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look at volunteering, I never though about adding something like that to an application. Online school has been on my mind, but I definitely just wanted to get a job so that I could get out of the house and meet new people and be an actual part of soceity. Guam is a part of the US by the way, but I have not checked their local laws. I wish I could get my misdemeanors expunged, but appartently since they were felonies at first and were dropped down to misdeamnors, I can not get them expunged. So if they can do a background check, they will a DUI I was charged with years ago, it was expunged after I completed my probation. Will they see I had my license taken away in 2007 due to an unpaid ticket as well? I don't consdier these regrets, because everything I went through led me to where I am today, these are just obstacles. I'm sure I can find an honest way to get around these, just might be harder then normal. I appreciate all the advice everyone gave to help me.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The background results depend on the type of background that is run and sometimes the service provider. I would suggest you try to find an outlet/source to run your own background to find out what is revealed. Some police departments will do this for you for a nominal fee. There is a town in my area that runs a complete one for my entire state for $15. The business I work in utilizes FBI Rap Sheets and these are national in nature and much more complete. Since your spouse is with the military, I assume you have lived in multiple states. Regarding your driving history, sometimes this only comes through on a request for driving history report, but if a violation equates to a misdemeanor or felony, it may make it to your actual background report. Again, it is important for you to know what is actually showing on your report. Also, you may be surprised to find out that companies in Guam are not running these reports as often as the U.S. and this may be your chance to get good work history established before coming back to the U.S. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I think when employers look at your criminal background, they are looking for things like stealing or things like that. I am not sure a DUI would be much in the way of eliminating you from employment. That would be the discretion of the employer. Depends how strict they want to be.

Mine is all drug related and I have theft on mine so I am definitely a target.

Well good luck. Just remember,Dont get discouraged. There will be someone that will eventually give you a chance.