Notices

Support Group?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support Group?

For those of you in a support group, how do you start? I'm in a very small town and going to any sort of NA meeting will be immediately noticed, and word travels fast in rural USA. Are there any on-line goups? Is this forum the best option? There is tons of great information here, and I'm really getting the courage to take a step, but it would be great to have a community to work through this with. I'm sort of a loner by nature, and this drug plays right into the hands of someone who doesn't want to talk to anyone or deal with people. Nonetheless, I feel by expressing what's going on I can achieve the power to start quiting.

I managed to sleep several hours last night, but up right at 4 hours with my skin crawling and body ready for a dose. Hard to fight it....... such a routine. A sad pitiful routine.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not again

Welcome Creeklover,

I like the name as I grew up with a creek (pronounced crick) in my backyard. Spent a lot of time wading and catching salamanders and crayfish. Thanks for the flashback.

As to your problem, that really is a tough call, nothing beats face-to-face working with others, but there are many valuable resources online, including meetings, chat rooms and of course forums. But i strongly suggest you atleast try going to one meeting and perhaps meeting someone who could work with you as you learn the program.
Please keep in mind that if everybody in town doesn't know your using already, chances are things will progress to the piont where they will. And having the courage and strength to change things before that happens is very admirable.

I wish you well, please stay in touch.
Regards,
Larry
Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Creeklover

I too live in a small town so I understand. I couldn't even go to the hospital to get help because I know too many people there. This board is pretty much all I have for any kind of info or support. Chat in the evenings here on SR was a big help for me, you may wanna try it. Hang in there and be strong, you CAN do this. Hugs.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Creeklover,
Try making a short drive to a neighboring town? Check out the NA website. I was in a meeting last week and the weather was really bad. I REALLY didn't want to go, and I was telling a friend that. She replied "well if someone called you and said they had free oxys would you drive then?"...and I was like "well, duh of course! Who would pass that up?"...What a reality check. I constantly tell myself this...it took some time and work to get into this mess and it's gonna take some time and work to get out of it. Remember, things that are good are worth the work!! Good luck!!