Notices

Was prescribed Lamotrigine today...

Old 07-28-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Was prescribed Lamotrigine today...

I'm not looking for medical advice....... Got that out of the way....

I'm looking for your personal experience on the medication as I don't want to gain any weight because I need to keep my BP down etc.

Has anyone taken it? What was your initial reaction and what did you experience if you take/took it long term. I finally was told I have a mood disorder today and this was prescribed. I've been on SSRIs all my life and never got relief from the depression and they tend to make me want to punch someone hence this new med! LOL

Any personal experience to share - good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have been taking lamotrigine for several years now. Just recently had my dose increased. I have not had significant weight gain I can attribute to it. It has helped to some degree as a mood stabilizer for me. I guess I could say it has had positive effects with minimal side effects for me.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi...1 undone,I have been on lamictal for years now,both on and off suboxone,so I can say for me it has been a wonder drug,I had treatment resistant depression and it started working for me around 200mg...take it real slow and watch for the Steven Johnson's rash.I believe it has no side effects of weight gain at all...weight neutral thats the words I was looking for and my experience as well.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah all I keep reading about is this rash. I'm like okay is this life threatening? Am I going to look like the elephant girl?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No,no,no....be aware though,I'm sure your md told you about it,that's why your dose will go up so slowly.Think positive and if you see a rash call the doc.immediately.I think this drug is def.worth trying.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I probably shouldn't have done this but I looked at pics of the rash. It seems like even if you get it and catch it early its still pretty dangerous. But the statistics are like .08% of adults ever get it. I always get nervous when I start a new med! I hate it! I wish more people had something to share. I did read great reviews though. Sorry, rambling cuz I'm nervous!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I didnt get a rash and I didnt gain weight.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was put on it 3 yeass ago for non specific bipolar and I must say i love it! No side effects for me and it. dosent give you yhat oitside your body feeling
Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow only morning one and I (for the first time in years) didnt wake up wanting to punch someone! LMAO!!!! I think I will keep posting on here to see how this goes for the next few weeks.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day two. Woke with no irritability!!! MIRACLE! Could it be? Could this be working?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi 1undone, lamotragine saved my life. I have bipolarII - depression was my main problem and lamotragine is great for that. I was worried about the rash too - not because it would land me in hospital but because it would mean no more lamotragine. Finally something was working. The dosage was increased over time to 200mg. It brought me out of a very deep depression.

About weight gain - I'd like to lose 20 lbs but I can't attribute weight gain to lamotragine. Nothing that a healthy diet and some exercise won't fix.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dani - thank you for your response! A close family member of mine was on it and she said she got a rash. I'm with you! I don't want the rash because I don't want to have to give up this med! It's helped me regulate a lot in just a couple days! That seems insane but I'm sorry I'm not going to question it. I've felt like **** since I was 13yrs old. 3 decades later and an old Psychiatrist prescribes me this??? WTH?? Why did it take so long? The only reason I can come up with is that someone sued a company or something making us all suffer... Who knows but this is usually how it all plays out.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well it's been 6 nights of taking this med and now I don't think it's really having any effect on me - must be used to the 25mgs. I will go up in 8 days to 50mgs and then see my Psychiatrist. I'm glad she went slow with me because I was feeling a bit amped up by day 3 but as I said now, not noticing much. One thing I do have to say is that I'm not as impulsive and I'm a lot more thoughtful. It's slowed me a bit but not in a bad way. at least I don't have thoughts swirling around in my head like a tornado anymore and it's really reduced my craving for alcohol and the obsession is really gone. Whatever works right????
Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Were you on lithium at all?? I've been on it for almost 2 years and contribute it to my weight gain...its so frustrating.. and I'm soo thirsty all the time...I drink a ton of water....the side effects are getting to me...think its time to switch???
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lamictal ?

1undone,

Hi, I was wondering what mg you started out with, but then I just noticed your other post saying 25mg & the dosage will be slowly raised. I hope that this medication helps you as well.

I just started Lamictal as well, 25mg last Monday. In one more week I will also move up to 50mg & so on. I have noticed that a lot of members from my medical chat site are taking 200mg, as they have been on it awhile. I am really hoping that it helps me some. I too, deal with a rapid cycle of moods daily...Anger & rage included.

Thanx for your post.
Sereniti

Bipolar2, borderline, anxiety/panic disorder, Ptsd
Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've taken 300mg for years; minimal side effects and no weight gain.

Originally Posted by 1undone View Post
I'm not looking for medical advice....... Got that out of the way....

I'm looking for your personal experience on the medication as I don't want to gain any weight because I need to keep my BP down etc.

Has anyone taken it? What was your initial reaction and what did you experience if you take/took it long term. I finally was told I have a mood disorder today and this was prescribed. I've been on SSRIs all my life and never got relief from the depression and they tend to make me want to punch someone hence this new med! LOL

Any personal experience to share - good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks all!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I'll be going up to 50mgs this week, so I'll post about what that's like and NO signs of the evil rash! I am wondering if I'll still need to be on Cymbalta after this gets to a therapeutic level. The reason I was put on Lamictal is because the SSRIs made me so irritable I wanted to scream or punch something. Lol. You'd think that after telling several doctors of this they would have figured out I'm BiPolar II. And Oye the family history!!!