Notices

This has been Brutal

Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This has been Brutal

I have been off lortab for 106 days today. So when I came off the doc. gave me some ativan to help me with the w/ds. I have been having such a hard time physically my body has tingling all over it. I have only used one perscription of ativan during this time. Now I am getting the anxiety and horrible feelings still. I have read about ativan and wonder if it has not been more of a bad thing instead of good. Just wondering has anybody been down this road? Do I need to switch to a longer lasitng benzo, like valium and then taper off of it? Not asking for tapering advice, just wondering has this happened to anyone else. Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well sick girl I have been down that withdrawl road, I have never taken ativan but ur Dr gave it to you so if it is not wking he/she wud be the one I turn to. I can only tell u what I have done, not what u shud do, K.....In the past when I went into withdrawls my Dr gave me colodiden, cant spell..lol It is a blood presure pill but helps with withdrawls. Today I am on Suboxen. If you dnt knw what it is Google does, lol. It is amazing how much better I feel. If I had only had this yr's ago when I got on the roller coaster. I dnt have cravings and I feel like myself again, and it has been a long time since I have felt this good. Good luck to you and talk to your Dr.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Insane Asylum Director

Ativan is not as addicting as other benzos(at least that is my experience). It took the edge off life for me. I stop when I want, it's only meant for those moments of panic I think. At least that's what I was told by my doctor. I haven't taken Valium, but I have been servilely addicted to Xanax. About 8 years ago, I had to stop. It was ruining my life in a new town. Xanax is bad, far more addicting than Valium. It made me feel like I just didn't care about anything. To combat the withdrawl of stopping cold, I took Neuron-tin and Paxil. The Paxil made me put on about 30 pounds, so after a couple of months, I stopped it too. The neurontin kept my body from seizing.

I'm not saying this is what you should do, but what I went through. I had a lot of pain that I was doping out.
If you need something better, you really should talk to your doctor. Please think twice about the Xanax though, I think they should take it off the shelves personally. It's just as addicting as heroin for some people.

Have you thought about an anti-depressant? Maybe that would help. I really wish I knew the right answer, I can only tell you my experience.

Everyday I thank the spirits for allowing me the strength to stop that crap. There are times when life is so difficult, I'd like to take a pill and forget, but then I'd never learn how to cope or talk about it, just dope it out. It is hard, I know your pain. Please feel free to talk to me through PM anytime you'd like. Panic is one of the worst feelings in the world and there's almost no way to cope with it except time and relaxation. Unfortunately, people don't have enough of either.

Hang in there, talk to your doctor and talk to me.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ativan is addictive. I personally have known people that were highly addicted to this stuff and mess them up even more than before they started taking it. This is just my opinion...better to ask dr. what she/he thinks.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

SSorry you are having difficulties so long after you quit....
Please see your doctor and tell him of your symptoms and ask how long the WD's supose to last.

Please don't jump into any other drug without professional assistance...that would be fool hearted.

For everyone....
Please remember...and respect our SR Rule 10 when posting....Thank you

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.

Last edited by CarolD; 07-11-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added Mandatory SR Rule 10
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

This is why medical advice is not allowed. Xanax and Ativan have helped many, many people and to say they "should be taken off the shelves" is absurd. Can people abuse them? Yes. But many people need these meds and I have seen it first hand with people. Talk to you doctor and see what's best. Somepeople shouldn't touch these meds as they are addicitive, yet others need them..
Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Insane Asylum Director

I apologize. I just know how certain things have ruined people's lives and it makes me angry. So I feel strongly about it.

My brother for one.
At any rate, I do hope you talk to your doctor soon.
I can see how these medications may be useful. After a tragic event or something to that effect.
I over-reacted. ONLY because of my own personal experience and I'm sorry for that.
I am no doctor. I am no psychologist, counselor or social worker. I really hate to see people in pain. As I've said in the past, I am an emotional person.

So accept my apology everyone. Knowing that benzo addiction can be very devastating, well, it's far more pain than I've ever had to go through. Probably because I have somewhat of an anxiety disorder.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Malcolm,

There is nothing wrong with what you said. You shared an experience and an opinion, and you gave no medical advice. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's around here.

FT
Old 07-13-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're right IT IS BRUTAL BUT...

Hi-
I've been down that use-a-benzo-to-kick-the-opiate road (xanax, to be specific). Once I stopped the opiates, I tapered off the benzo (I did this without med supervision which I wouldn't recommend!). Yeah, benzo's are addictive, but when used for their purpose, they work.
I wish you all the best!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sick Girl,

When I detoxed on the Psych Ward last September they gave me ativan. But they would not release me until I was no longer using it. They would not give me a script either since it is highly addictive. Since I am a recovering addict/alcoholic they did not want me to switch one addiction for another.

I would just be very careful to not end up having a problem with it. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

Your SoberRecovery Friend,
Serenitee
Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Taking drugs to get off drugs makes no sense. I beat that horse to death for a long time. When my options are limited I can convince myself that anything is ok. Just sayin...
Old 09-13-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oxy wds

I am in day 14 of withdrawls...I am again watching the sun come up from sitting here all nite aching and not sleeping, but the last week it feels like I cant breath and my chest hurts at nite...is this common? or is it in my head from the wds? I used methadone for 5 of the first few days if that makes a diff.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mickfunster View Post
I am in day 14 of withdrawls...I am again watching the sun come up from sitting here all nite aching and not sleeping, but the last week it feels like I cant breath and my chest hurts at nite...is this common? or is it in my head from the wds? I used methadone for 5 of the first few days if that makes a diff.
Im no doctor, but its probably more mental than physical but it wouldnt hurt to get it checked out if it keeps up.
Congrats on the clean time, nice job!!!!
Day 10 here!!!

Keep it up.