Notices

Anybody tried 5-htp?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kaw

Anybody tried 5-htp?

I just bought a bottle. The claim is it is supposed to increase the amount of serotonin produced in the brain. Antidepressants allow your brain to receive more serotonin by not letting the receptors shut off, but don't actually produce more serotonin. That's how I understand it. I have never had any luck with antidepressants because it seems I am too sensitive to the side effects. I hope this stuff works. I will give an update in about a week. Anybody else ever try it and what were your results?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd like to know what happens.

Thing is, self-medicating doesn't work. This recovering alcoholic drank so I didn't have to be present for my life. Do you have a good psychiatrist? Sometimes it takes a while to get the right combination of medication.

One thing you can do -- get into a program of physical activity. Jogging, fast walking. They've proved that depression decreases when exercise is added.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I tried 5-htp and St Johns Wort early in sobriety to help with my depression. I was very into trying "natural" alternatives to medications.

My experience was that it made me quite insane. Edgy, nervous, difficulty sleeping, angry, irritable, etc...

When I finally broke down and went to a doctor to treat my symptoms since these alternatives were not working for me is that I found I was self medicating for the wrong thing. I was self medicating what I thought was depression when all the while I was bi polar type II. So by taking anything that raised my serotonin levels I was pushing my brain into a mild to moderate hypomania. Today I check with my doctor regarding any medications I want to take be it a prescription or a "natural" alternative to ensure that I am not creating more problems by interactions or treating something with the wrong thing.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about anti-depressants and their side-effects. They worked for me for a little while but the side effects just got too much.
It's true about the dangers of self-medicating but sometimes the doctors just seem so useless. Depressed? Oooh here's some citalopram. Not working any more? Let's up your dose. Off it and feeling down again? Get back on it. Trouble sleeping? Zopiclone.

Prescribing you something without counselling just feels like an easy way to get rid of you. Let us know how it goes but be careful relying on any kind of substance to make you feel ok.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take one 5-HTP in the evening b4 dinner (you should take it on an empty stomach)...it relaxes you....i also take it with Valarian b4 bedtime.

In the AM I take 800mg of SAM-e and 700mg of STJwort....but i have to agree that about 30 mins. of good cardio helps my mood along with keeping my BP normal for an extended time afterwards.

start S-L-O-W with both the 5-HTP and SAM-e, SJW if you wish to try it. my only complaint about the SAM-e is that it is expensive...the best/most cost cons. i've found is "Doctors Best" brand...I buy everything from Drugstoredotcome because they have free delivery and give you bonus bucks.

this is ONLY MY experience....I have been on several anti-depressants in the past (along with booze) and did not like the side effects, the heavy sweating, nervousness, and they never tell you about sexual dysfunction (even for women)....of course if I had not been drinking they may have worked differently...

anyway, I am happy with the exercise, good diet and the OTC supplements.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaw

Been to a few psychiatrists. I have been diagnosed with agoraphobia, anxiety with panic disorder, depression and bi polar. When I was diagnosed with bi polar I was put on antidepressants, anti seizure, anti psychotics, benzos, and something to help me sleep (not sure what it was) I was taking all at the same time, doctors orders. When they made it worse I was switched to a different anti depressant or a different antipsychotic or a different anti seizure and so on. I felt worse than ever and slowly stopped all meds and left that psychiatrist. I had never felt so horrible. I stopped drinking for a while when I was starting all this then it was once or twice a week, once I was off the meds it was every day and turned into a different problem. I went to a different psychiatrist who does not believe I am bi polar she thinks the anxiety and effects of it were misdiagnosed as bi polar. Makes sense to me. She wanted to put me on an anti depressant alone. I have done that before and didn't want to try again so I am gonna try my own way for a while.

I tried sam-e and liked it but it was too expensive for me

Results so far are great! I didn't think I would be able to feel a difference so quick. No bad side effects. I feel calmer, things are not irritating me as much. I even went to watch fireworks surrounded by a group of people and I got to enjoy them instead of trying to talk myself out of an anxiety attack. I can't remember the last time I was surrounded by people and didn't have anxiety. It felt so great! I started taking it for depression and it it working so great for my agoraphobia and anxiety. I feel happier. I am starting to enjoy things again. It seems like its to good to be true. I don't know how the 5-htp can work that fast but I don't know what else it could be.

I will stick to it and update again in a week or so. I hope it continues to work!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaw

Oh and I have been adding exercise. Not much but a little. I also have been sitting in the sun everyday, I read that helps too. I don't know but I feel better and have a nice little tan lol.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kaw-

Tried 5-HTP for about 3 months....Nothing. Continued 5-HTP with Sam-E and St. Johns Wort, seemed to take the edge off for about a week, and then I fell off a cliff into insomnia and a deep depression. Went to doctor and got off all 3 of the above, and now on a phamacutical.

To me, 5-HTP was a big waste of money, but it does work for some.

Zube
Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

A couple people have mentioned sitting in the sun has helped them. I am in complete agreement.

The most recent information is that a vitamin D deficiency can increase depression. So it might be prudent to talk to your doctor about being tested for this deficiency. It might not hurt to consider starting a dose of it according to the recommendations on the bottle until the test results come back.

My pscyh doc started me on 1000mg of Vit D and I was on it for about a year before I changed primary care providers and my new one tested my Vit D levels. They were still low even with the dose I was taking so I am now taking 2000mg a day. But I do not recommend that to anyone as it is higher than the manufactures recommended dose.

It might be worth a try.

Some resources on the subject:
Vitamin D Council > Health conditions > Mental health and learning disorders > Depression
Vitamin D Deficiency Linked With Depression - Vitamin D Deficiency and Depression Risk
Vitamin D Deficiency Causing Depression & Fatigue | LIVESTRONG.COM
Vitamin D Deficiency: Symptoms, Causes, and Health Risks
Depression and Vitamin D Deficiency: Overlooked | CorePsych Blog
Vitamin Defiencies and Depression - Can Vitamins Help Depression
Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaw

Very interesting about the vitamin D. I heard about the sun but didn't dig deeper.

I have also been taking turmeric and apple cider vinegar. I started the apple cider vinegar about a month ago, and I have taken turmeric for 4 years on and off. I just looked them both up for depression and it seems like some people have had success with them. That is NOT why I started taking it. So now I'm thinking its everything. I am going to stick with this until it stops working, hopefully NEVER. I am going to wait until winter to check my vitamin D levels.

I had a wedding to go to and before my anxiety would start to build up at least 2 weeks before the wedding and get really bad the day before. I would start to think of excuses not to go and cry the day of and throw up while getting ready. I would make sure I was always close to a door and go outside more than I was inside. I wouldn't say more than 2 words to anybody and no way would I look them in the eyes, I felt like if I looked them in the eyes they could see I was sad and terrified. This time I had some anxiety the night before and the day of but I did't cry and I didn't throw up. I went feeling good. At the reception I only went outside when my fiance wanted a cig. I laughed and talked and had a great time. I looked people in the eye and it felt great to see peoples faces.

Whatever I am doing it is working!! YAY!!