Notices

Day 4 and need Help.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 and need Help.

Hello everyone.

I am on day 4 of detox. My vision is very blurry. Is this normal? I was taking opiates for many many years and decided to go cold turkey Monday morning. I have been taking Ambien at night and am not sure if it's the sleeping pill or my detox causing this weird blurry vision. It is happening when I try and read or on the computer. Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

MSL:

Welcome to the forum!

Only a medical person can tell you if your vision is normal or not, and we have to be careful not to give medical advice here.

Having said that, it is common to sleep poorly and have dry eyes in withdrawal, and that state causes me to have blurry vision. I wear glasses, and so for me, the sensation is pronounced maybe more than in someone who doesn't already have poor vision.

Good luck on your detox, and just remember to check out anything too weird with your doc. Whoever was prescribing for you needs to know you are stopping the drug anyway.

If you were getting them off the street, you should find a doc to check you over anyway, just to make sure you haven't suffered any ill effects from taking street drugs. We all need checkups now and then anyway, so be sensible.

FT
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

THis is personal experience, not medical advice, see a doctor for that, but IMO: Its the ambien if I had to venture a guess. I took that stuff 4 times in the last 10 years, each time, my vision went to crap and I had mild hallucinations. (i.e., I was in a bathroom with wood panelling in a cabin and the lines seemed to move on me). Never took that garbage again, I would stop taking it and try melatonin or exercise to exhaust yourself to sleep. If you are still in the throws of opiate detox, I get that you won't exercise (I surely didn't), but look in to melatonin.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did the blurry vision go away at some point?... I realize you wear glasses and all. I can't see a Dr. I live in a small town, and if you've ever lived in a small town you'd understand.

I had a sciatic problem years ago and the Dr. prescribed Hydrocodone for 6 months. My cousin who does have a legit medical reason (tons of surgeries, tons of medical problems refuses to take Loratab/Vicoden and was giving me her pills every month for my supposed sciatica problem. This was years ago, and I took the meds every month as if they were prescribed for me. I always made them last till the next time and never went searching for pills out on the street. I do not see a regular doctor and the one I have seen in the past is very expensive, I can't afford it. I have tons of friends that work in the local hospital, so I can't do that either. I'm pretty much on my own.

Today besides the blurry vision, I'm feeling pretty good. I woke up, put some new age music on, lit candles, lit incense and started cleaning the house. I want all the negativity of my addiction OUT of my house and out of my life.

I may stop the Ambien tonight, Thank you.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I abused Soma in the past and found that I had blurry vision when using too much and also after stopping cold turkey. It subsided after a few days when I stopped.
Interestingly, this time around with stopping opiates, I did notice that my distance vision was getting poor, somewhat blurred. I quit opiates on
Dec. 19, 2010 and went to eye doctor in late January 2011. I actually needed progressive glasses to wear all the time. I am 57 and only used reading glasses for years. Morale of story is that your vision just maybe needs checking in general. I feel like the bionic woman today vision-wise.
I see so much more clearly these past 5 months (in more ways than one!!)
Good luck to you and keep posting.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know that Ambien and Lunesta (and other drugs in this class) work well for many people. But not for me. I was prescribed Ambien a few years ago - just on an as-needed basis. I knew they took effect very quickly, so I took it right before bed. The next thing I remember, I was in a ditch, sitting my car, which was totalled, and I had no idea where I was. I guess my car was drivable to get me to an apartment complex nearby and pull into that parking lot.

There were some bystanders there - it was only about 10 pm, so that wasn't unusual. I got out of my car, and I was perfectly fine. Not a bump or a bruise. Obviously, the people who saw me crash my car thought I was drunk. But when I got out and brushed myself off - it was obvious I hadn't been drinking. (I'm not really a drinker - maybe once or twice a year.)

I handed one of the witnesses my phone so they could tell my friend where I was. It was some place I had never even been before. I have no idea how I got there or why I went there. But I can tell you that was the last Ambien I ever took.

Prior to my incident, I used to laugh at the people who said they'd binge eat, etc., while on Ambien. How could they do that? Guess I answered my own question there.

And seriously, what if someone had been in the road or on the sidewalk? Apparently I was driving between 80 and 90 mph. One sleeping pill for me could have killed someone.

So to answer your question...no, I'm not a doctor...but I don't know if my eyes were blurry after taking the drug, but my brain sure was.

Again, this is only my experience, and I know sleeping pills work for many people. Just not me.

I agree with those who say you should see a doctor for all of your issues - pain, abusing drugs that are not prescribed to you and the blurry vision. I guess it comes down to priorities.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck on your recovery. I cant help you with the vision thing. Just glad to see onee more person off Opiates.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Blurry vision

Originally Posted by MySecretLove View Post
Did the blurry vision go away at some point?... I realize you wear glasses and all. I can't see a Dr. I live in a small town, and if you've ever lived in a small town you'd understand.

I had a sciatic problem years ago and the Dr. prescribed Hydrocodone for 6 months. My cousin who does have a legit medical reason (tons of surgeries, tons of medical problems refuses to take Loratab/Vicoden and was giving me her pills every month for my supposed sciatica problem. This was years ago, and I took the meds every month as if they were prescribed for me. I always made them last till the next time and never went searching for pills out on the street. I do not see a regular doctor and the one I have seen in the past is very expensive, I can't afford it. I have tons of friends that work in the local hospital, so I can't do that either. I'm pretty much on my own.

Today besides the blurry vision, I'm feeling pretty good. I woke up, put some new age music on, lit candles, lit incense and started cleaning the house. I want all the negativity of my addiction OUT of my house and out of my life.

I may stop the Ambien tonight, Thank you.
The mucous membranes in oxy withdrawal do include the conjunctivae of the eye, nasal passages, throat, and any other place you can imagine you have secretions. I won't get more graphic there. Think of all the sneezing you are probably doing. That will give you a clue.

So, dry eyes, tearing eyes, back to dry again. Back and forth. It has to do with nervous system function.

Yes, for me it has gotten better. But I still get dry eyes easier now for some reason. I'm 6+ months clean from oxys.

FT
Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MSL

There are very many possible reasons for blurred vision - and none of us are doctors
This, literally, could be anything.

The only way you can know for sure and get the right treatment is by seeing your Dr.

D
Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I took nothing to assist my de toxing from alcohol...and never used a sleeping aid.
after reading some of others experiences who did...i'm grateful....

WEhen my vision did begin to blurr ...it had nothing to do with my addiction or recovery.
I went for an eye exam at sears ...she found a pool of blood behind my eye and sent me to.. an optomologist. who discovered a retina disease...Ocular Histoplasmosis
This was not visible on the outside...no pain was involved.....not saying this happening to you but it could be.

Putting off going can well make it worse...don't pay the rent ....delay your car note...do whatever ..but please take this seriously....we don't know and neither do you.

Welcome to SR...

Last edited by CarolD; 06-24-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for the info or/and advice. I do believe this Ambien is not a good thing. This could very well be what's causing this. I wish I hadn't started. I told myself last night that it would be the last time I take the sleeping pill. I'm pissed at myself for taking YET another PILL that wasn't meant to be taken by me. This has got to stop!!! What is wrong with me that I feel I need to put something in my mouth all the time, Geeeezzz :/

Day 5........ Not feeling I NEED my pills (opiates) anymore. REALLY REALLY upset I am on Ambien
Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FT

All sleep medications come with a warning that they should not be used for extended periods of time.

Sleep cycles are upset in opiate withdrawal. Period. Like all the other parts of withdrawal that feel bad, if you don't accept that you aren't going to feel back to normal for a few weeks, your recovery isn't going to last.

If you are REALLY upset that you are "on Ambien", then stop BEING on Ambien. What, is someone forcing them down your throat?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

@Failedtaper......no one is forcing anything down my throat. I obviously have a problem and do not have the experience with detox. I thought I was doing what I needed to do. I just wish I hadn't started that Ambien. This goes to show how I have no respect for pills. I hope to change all that. Want to know how convoluted I am??? I shop for my food at the health food store and read all the labels, and what for, I'm killing myself will pills. And YES I am mad at myself today, I am mad that I've done this to my body, I'm mad that I've lied and just plain ole mad.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FT

Hey. Anger is a strong emotion, and it can be turned around towards a positive end.

Get angry at the "addict brain" voice, stop listening to it, and decide to be free of the chains that drugs have become to you.

FT
Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MySecretLove View Post
Hello everyone.

I am on day 4 of detox. My vision is very blurry. Is this normal? I was taking opiates for many many years and decided to go cold turkey Monday morning. I have been taking Ambien at night and am not sure if it's the sleeping pill or my detox causing this weird blurry vision. It is happening when I try and read or on the computer. Thank you in advance for any help.
you really ought to go see a doctor ASAP. opiate withdrawal can cause drastic spikes in your blood pressure which can cause strokes. blurred vision can be a symptom of a blood pressure emergency. i'm not throwing out a diagnosis, i just want you not to be dismissive of this.

please go see a dr.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I could barely see, let alone want to see anything at day 4. I finally made it to day 10 today! I am feeling so much better. Keep it going. It only takes time. Day 4 sucks ass. Make it to day 7 and evaluate. See if you can get your body moving (take a walk, or jog if you can). On day 7 I started working out. It helps so much.

I only wish i had Ambien during this process. If you can try and skip a day or 2 in between. Sleeplessness is part of the nightmare we have gotten ourselves into. Meditate and keep as busy as you can.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2011, 01:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

CONGRATS JUNKY!!! 10 days is awesome. Be thankful you don't have any Ambien. It's 4:22am......and I'm trying so hard not to reach for that Ambien. Tomorrow I will be so mad at myself, my life's story this week. I don't have many left (3 left) or any way to get anymore, thank the Goddess for that.

Blurry vision is much much better tonight. It's only when on the computer or reading.

No Ibuprofen today!!!! WOOHOO!!! I must have been taking over 3500 ml of Ibuprofen a day for years now. I wonder what shape my liver and kidneys are in. I hope it's not irreversible damage. Gonna go read now to see if that'll put me to sleep. I hate this.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
dakotaboyd

i have found in my many recoveries that there is nothing i can do about my past....except say goodbye and start a new. i have relapsed time and time again over the bad things that i should have left behind.the terrible choices from a druged mind. yesturday i was a junky today i am a new man. which ever man i choose to be. i could be a good man. i could be a happy man.i could even be a man that people could respect...or i can keep looking to yesturday and keep paying for the past me's mistakes and be the man i was. for me it is all about the decisions i make today......and i think i am a good man today and i like myself and the choces i have made.. good luck with the things you decide over the coming weeks..it is up to no one but you.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

MySecretLove: I haven't posted anywhere, but the Hen House in quite a while. But for some reason I started reading your thread and thought; Yep! I was right where you are back on 18 Feb 2011, AGAIN!!!! Other than the ambien experience. I use a prescribed clonidine for RLS which it also helps me to fall asleep an hour after taking it. I also added the melatonin during the first week to help get to sleep.

The first week is a hard week to get thru. Your mind is starting to clear up and beginning to think again about getting things done. Cleaning the house, organizing the piles of paperwork and mail, etc. But your body is still in recovery! No energy, little sleep, sluggish and it's frustrating as hell. Can't count how many times I've been thru this scenario. Did a treatment center twice and the rest were done CT. Pull up a chair to an area you can work on sitting down. This will keep your mind occupied and get something accomplished.

I have multiple medical reasons for being on the opiates, but I choose not to be. And because I choose not to be! I have 131 days off the stuff today. But I have been where you are on 10 days clean many times before. A surgery, injury, surgery, injury, etc. My life just goes to hell in a hand basket when I'm on the opiates. Don't get me wrong. I love the way I feel on the opiates, but my mind goes into I can't get enough of them. Our DOC is like a lover once we get hooked on it. That warm feeling of feeling like the beginning of a honeymoon is just too hard to resist. So we continue using. Only at some point it's no longer a honeymoon. It turns into a necessity to keep feeding the dragon it's poison to keep from going into withdrawals. Ugh! What a life I don't want anymore.

I fully understand your anger. It's okay to get angry. But don't let it rent too much space in your head. It will just make you crazy. Just tell yourself; I didn't choose to become addicted to the opiates, it just happened. Like it did to so many of us. Grab hold of the life you have chosen to live w/o the drugs. Focus on what's ahead to be obtained and accomplished, not the past. Focusing on the past only brings up bad stuff. It can also lead you back to wanting to say F'it and go back to using. It's like what happens when you lose a loved one to death.

We just lost our beloved pet last week. My husband put a picture of her on his computer for a screen saver. I told him every time he looks at it, he's going to feel sorrow all over again and just bring up the newness of losing her. It was one of our pet Chinese Silkie chickens. Like my Avatar. So he removed the picture. We loved her and will miss her greatly. But I don't want or need constant reminders, right now, of losing her. This is the same with your opiates.

As you start this new path, do things you normally wouldn't do because of being on the opiates. Take a walk and look at all the things around you. You'll be amazed at the difference in things, now that you aren't numbed up. Lord knows I do. Watch a favorite movie again. You'll see things you've missed before. I've learned to laugh more and enjoy being out around ppl again. When I was numbed up, I didn't want to go anywhere. It was such a chore to get ready to go out in public. Plus there was the chance of getting pulled over and then hauled in for DUI. Not anymore! LOL

You just have to take it hour by hour, day by day. And no matter how bad you think you need a pill. Just don't do it. The more days you get under your feet w/o a pill, the easier it gets to go w/o them. I realize too many ppl know you in this small town, so hang out here on SR and talk with anyone you can about what's happening with you. Believe me! There are hundreds trying to quit their DOC right now or reading the posts wanting to quit. So you aren't the only one in the first week of doing this. The evening news tonight had a story about how so many of our teenagers are now using opiates. Lord help them.

I wish you well and good luck.

TOD
Old 06-29-2011, 01:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you TiredofDrugs for taking the time to write me. It really helps a newbie like me more than you know. I hope to hang around for awhile, everyday I learn something different. Today I learned what a BEING on a PINK CLOUD was. Congrats Congrats on 131 days. It's people like u that give me HOPE that I can do it too!

PS. Sorry about your loss