Notices

Back Problems LEADS To Narcotic Abuse?

Old 06-22-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Problems LEADS To Narcotic Abuse?

I have had back problems for months and was put on percs for a while then just oxycodone which may I say doesnt work well without Tylenol. Well at the end of April I had spinal fusion because the nerve root blocks didn't work. Well any who been on narcs since sept and since surgery I started double dipping with pain management and back surgeon and because I went off base with my percs rite aide saw I was getting narcs from two different docs and called both of them so can we say BUSTED and pain management dropped me and said to get my mess with my back surgeon. So I been a mess and even sent texts to my back surgeon apologizing and admitting I did wrong and should of told pain management that I tweaked my back after surgery instead of going to the surgeon. I feel horrible now and feel like I let a lot of people down.
So what y'all think should I admit I had issue. I was taking maybe 8 aday at most 10 pending on activity and I only took them when I was in pain and admit sometimes at night I took 4 instead of 2 just for fun.
Now after I tweaked my back the surgeon gave me 40mg oxycontin and I take that 2 or 3 times a day pending on when I go to bed. And maybe 4 oxycodone in-between for break thru pain.
The way I am feeling now is that should asked to be weened off the meds because look what it has done I got greedy and got busted
Dunno what to do my back is so so and my mornings are soo stiff and achey can I do without narcs and will OTC meds work? I'm kinda scared
Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You really need a professional opinion about how best to proceed...so please have an honest talk with your doctor....

Welcome...
Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I am so glad you are here.

I agree with the honest talk with your physician. It only goes downhill if you don't own it now.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Be as honest a you are here with both yourself and all of your Dr's. That really helps me. I have similar back problems and right now need some level of narcotics. Don't get too wrapped up in the pill taking ritual and only take them if you are too uncomfortable to deal with pain. Only take them AS DIRECTED or less. There is a line to walk here and for me I must be willing to realize that I can't have it all. I can't be pain free without taking pills but at the same time I can't be sane without taking anything more that what's absolutely necessary. I can't get high. I can't be sneaky. If I follow these rules I'm ok but the longer I take the pills the weaker my grasp on rational thought becomes. Just be careful and be on the "up and up".
Old 06-22-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh ya of course my surgeon wants me to call and I wanted to anyways just to clear things up and give myself a piece of mind. Because I hate feeling like I let them down and now that the pain has demi is ed I actually was weening myself but now I may not have something to ween off of .. I don't get a high feeling just a relief from the pain. But if it comes down to it I seen on here by viewing post the support her so I know with you guys I will have the support to get through the hard times if necessary.. If you want I can let you all know what happens.
Just I got overwhelmed with my husband gone and got carried away on my bad days.
thank you
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

My best friend, who quit Oxys about 3 months after I did (cuz he saw its possible), does roofing, windows, etc. His back is messed up and that's why he started. After he quit, he realized that Motrin, tylenol etc works very well and also that his back isn't as bad as thought. Personally, this crap i s the most addicting stuff on the planet (as I have never been addicted to anything before opiates) so I would tell any doc that I do NOT want narcotic pain killers. That's just me, but I would rather deal with a little pain than ever do opiates again.

I had a teamate at my softball tourny a few months ago offer me a 10mg Vicodin when I hurt my hammy and shoulder, but I declined and went with Aleve. Worked awesome! I new doing one vic probably wouldn't hurt me at ALL, BUT I don't want to be reminded of those days and would rather die than do an opiate.

Then again I am one of the few peeps here who has no chance of a relapse and feel that I have totally recovered. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

The crazy **** is that MOST the people who go on opiates and even take them as PRESCIBED become physically addicted. When I first started I was only doing them a few times a day for about a month and never thought I could get 'dependent' or addicted. So, I went on a business trip and forgot them and I could NOT sleep for the life of me. That's when I realized I was addicted to something for the first time in my life. I stayed on them for about 17 more months. I was sooooo addicted. As I was saying, many people don't know and they stop and have a bad "flu" for a week or so.

Personally, I thing opiates are the devil. No one gets out with no issues if they are on them for any extended period of time. I work in the medical industry and see people who have 'endometreosis' all the time who USED to use the 40 mg oxys as prescribed. Now they are selling theirs to get more from another dealer. Do twice or ever 3 times what recomended.

Bottom line, eventually you need these things JUST to feel normal. Your bank account suffer (I made 100k last year and saved ZERO dollars! I'm lucky as I decided to quit and stuck to it.

Narcotic pain killers, in my opinion, should be used for chronically ill/pain patients or if someone is in ridiculous pain (and they should come off as quickly as possible).

Sorry fo preaching and the rant, but my life is AMAZING without opiates and I wish I could show everyone of you how it can be done and what you will feel like after the withdrawal, insomnia, depression, etc. It gets amazing and you enjoy the little things again.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Definitely,you should consult a professional before taking painkillers that may affect alternately.