Notices

On the spectrum and in recovery

Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question On the spectrum and in recovery

So I have been sober for almost two years now and the promises have come true for me in a multitude of ways. I have been given a career in which I can help people with disabilities (grave emotional and mental handicaps) be successful in school and I also assist my roommate with her job as a director of a half-way house. During my time in recovery, I have come in contact with several people with Asperger's Syndrome or another diagnosis on the spectrum who have struggled with recovery. I guess as a person who has a nephew with PDD-NOS, who works professionally with people on the spectrum, and as a person who may potentially sponsor a person with Aspie or would just like to be of service this particular group of people, I have some questions.

If you are one of these people, I would love it if you could let me know what type of recovery has worked for you. I know there are several different types of recovery models out there (12-step, smart recovery, CBT) which was best suited to you? What were your biggest struggles as you faced long term sobriety? How did you meet these struggles? Where did you find support?

Thank you so much for any and all responses to this inquiry.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

As far as your post goes, I am unfamiliar with what you mean by the spectrum. If you mean people who fight with mental health issues then I can provide my experience. If it is limited to people with Asperger's then I can not provide any experience as I have none.

I am a recovering alcoholic who fights with PTSD, chronic anxiety disorder, and bipolar type II. I have been sober through the program of AA for 10 years now. My biggest struggles have been my mental health issues. Drinking has not been a problem since I worked the Steps and learned how to apply them to my life. It has been a battle though with the depression and anxiety that both the PTSD and bipolar create. The highs of the bipolar I do not mind as it is one of the rare times I feel 'normal'. The tools that I use to get through the tough times are my therapist, support here at SR, and my psych doc who manages my medications. It has been a struggle to get the right meds for me and I am still fighting to get stabilized. I am beginning to doubt that will ever happen. Well that is my experience. I hope it is something you find useful.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for your response. "On the spectrum" refers to anyone who has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. This a general term used by people with autism who realize that there are not clear lines between the diagnosis and that it also recognizes that each persons with an autism spectrum disorder is unique in the way that autism impacts them.

While alcoholism and addiction is often co-occurring with many psychological/mental health disorders, I am wondering specifically about this one because some of the aspects of 12-step recovery are very abstract and highly emotional concepts which are sometime difficult to grasp for people with autism.

Much peace and joy to you on your journey.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I commend you on your work with others. Although I do not have autism as a specific disorder, I too have the same difficulty as you illustrate in this following quote.

...some of the aspects of 12-step recovery are very abstract and highly emotional concepts which are sometime difficult to grasp...
Abstract, highly emotional...rings true for me as a person with PD NOS, PTSD, GAD and DD. Your post helped me recognize me of another angle of my un-fulling involvement with the 12-Step model.