Notices

Beginning my life without codeine...

Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Beginning my life without codeine...

Hi Everyone,

Im Meg. Ive been taking around 32 OTC Nurofen Plus everyday now for the past six months or so. I guess it all started when I was prescribed co-cocodamol 30/500 by my doctor for sciatica. A while after that my boyfriend split with me and I started using the codeine to cope with the emotional pain, after a while I found it was taking over my life, before I knew it I was taking it everyday and behaving like an addict. Lying to friends and family about my using and going to as many different pharmacies as possible to stop the chemists there from calling me up on it. I finally realize I had a problem and went to my doctor who prescribed a weeks course of diazepam to ease withdrawal. That was 2 days ago. Right now I'm lying in my bed and I haven't been able to stop crying and I have these blinding headaches. I know a lot of you will have been through the same stuff and I just want to know, how long this is going to last? I just need some support.

Thankyou in anticipation...
Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyones chemistry is different of course, but you are on the right track~!
The headaches are no fun and hopefully they will be gone soon. One thing I have noticed is that our bodies are good at manufacturing pain so that we think we need to go back to our drug of choice.
Don't do it!
Best of luck and post as often as you need to .

welcome, glad you are here~!
Old 06-04-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been clean of everything (codeine too) for 5 months now. It can be done and done successfully!

Are you attending any NA meetings?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Coco...you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 06-04-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've kicked a lot of things and the only thing I know for sure is that when the sun rises tomorrow (i would say when you wake up, but your probably not sleeping), you'll feel better. Like tuffenuff said everyones different. For me the worst part was usually the first two or three days. I wasn't perfect after that but I could function. It only gets better if you stay clean and work the 12 steps. It only gets worse if you use. You're doing really great, doll, just power throught it! Theres tons of support online and at AA or NA meetings.

Welcome and I'm stoked you came, congrats lady bug
Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Welcome CoCo to SR! I can well imagine you feel like your life is in a very dark place right now. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. The more you stay off your DOC, the better it will get. The first week is the hardest. Try putting a heating pad on your head to help with the headaches. And drink lots of water. This will help to flush out the drugs in your system.

I have over 100 days off my Hydro #10's. I've done this CT. You too can get off the drugs. You just have to want it bad enough. Because the longer you stay using, the worse you are going to get. It will end with you needing more and more, as well as needing stronger drugs to reach that high you like. It's a no end street you are walking.

You aren't by your lonesome in this. There are thousands that have been right where you are and are now able to say they've kicked the habit and are living full, joyful lives. There are all sorts of meetings out there, with ppl just like you and I in them. Maybe you should check them out. Go to more than one, you might like one more than the other.

I wish you well.

TOD
Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

cocochanel.....Welcome....
Old 06-05-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for being so supportive, Ive moved back in with my parents for a week as of today to try and keep out of temptations way. The headaches seem to have subsided somewhat and although Im still feeling pretty sorry for myself just knowing that Im not alone is unbeleivably comforting. Thankyou all for your kind words. Im not attending any NA meetings as yet, I guess Im a little aprehensive about them. Can anybody share their experiences and perhaps point me in the right direction. I usually stay in Edinburgh, Scotland and Im not really sure what services are available there.

Thanks Again,
CoCo xxx
Old 06-05-2011, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Kiddo, click on the below link and you'll find atleast 24 meetings in your area

http://www.ukna.org/index.php?suppor...ced=force_list

NA meetings are fun!