Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

If youre afraid to stop opiates cold turkey... read on

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just finished it...I had read so many horror stories, I was afraid to stop but when I ran out, I had to. It's NOT AS BAD for some people. I was taking 6-12 rox a day and only one day is really unbearable...the other days are like an annoying stomach bug.
Day 1 - watery eyes hot/cold sweats
Day 2 - diarreah, watery eyes, hot/cold sweats, insomnia, anxiety
Day 3 - THIS IS THE BAD DAY - uncontrollable vomiting, diarreah, etc, etc
Day 4 - minor dirreah, loss of appetite, no energy, insomnia
Day 5 - Insomnia, no energy, no appetite
Day 6- Insomnia
Day 7 - You'll feel normal again but you'll be dragging and have trouble sleeping,

Ive tried subutex before, but thats just trading one drug for another, so I did it the hard way and looking back, other than the one day I had my head burried in a bucket-- it really wasn't bad at all, no worse than the flu
Old 06-04-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Isn't it amazing that anyone would WANT to take a drug that makes us feel like this when we stop taking it? Just imagine how toxic something like that really is.

Congrats again on your perseverance. We need more stories like yours.

FT
Old 06-04-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks failed taper. I'm on day 7 and I feel almost normal... just couldn't sleep last night and I'm tired. No nausea, no nothing. I'm just counteracting that with caffeine. I know, that's addicting too, but I'll worry about my Mt Dew addiction after I am free and clear of the Oxy Train from Hell.

Any advice? Boredom is kicking in now which is my trigger.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Staying active and busy is important. I didn't feel well enough at day 7 to do much, but if you do, get outside. Go to a used bookstore and snag some books cheap about things you like. Find out what is going on in your down for community activities. There are often a lot of cool, free or inexpensive things to do. Most larger communities have that stuff. The library often posts stuff like that.

If you like sports or physical activity, get out there on your bike, or play ball, or whatever it is you like to do. I like to mountain bike, and I also like walks by the water.

Boredom is a recovery killer, so hit it like you mean it.

FT
Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
skinnypuppy

Failedtaper you were right about CT being better than tapering. Its just too hard for the typical addict to do. TS I really enjoyed your day by day breakdown of the symptoms. Mine have been similar minus the puking. At 6pm will be 96 hours opiate free.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Hey skinny!

Four days and counting! In my first week, every HOUR was a milestone. Hitting one week sounded a million miles away when I was on days 3 and 4. You can get there! As long as people EXPECT to feel sick and make a plan for how they will deal with it (i.e., don't go to work, hydrate like crazy, wear comfortable stuff, take hot baths, etc.), the chances of success are much better. Don't give in to the "addict brain" thinking that will try to convince you that you would feel SO much better, all you have to do is take the drug. That's why NO access is crucial. In your worst moments, especially in the middle of the night with no sleep, the temptation too cave is too great for most to bear.

Hang on, everyone going through the first week. It's hell week, but it is a small price to pay for how much better you will feel when you are free from this poison.

FT
Old 06-05-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi everyone I am on day 6 free of opiates. I decided to go with the suboxone method because I was afraid of the withdrawl symptoms. Well the first day I had to work an 11 hours shift and I am a bartender at a major resort. The suboxone made me sick as a dog and I was puking every half hour, had the chills and the shakes. I made it through the shift and ended up in the er of the local hospital. I woke up in the morning and called the doc who told me to cut my dose in half and prescribed zolfran for the vomiting. I had to work on day two also. I did what I was told and puked all day again including at work that night. It was a miserable two first days especially being at work and being on something that is suppose to make the withdrawl symptoms less. Day 3 I called the doc again and he called me in a patch. He told me that its a rare side effect to puke from taking the suboxone. At that point I decided not to pick up the patch and just finish this thing out cold turkey because afterall I had already gone through day 1 and 2 while working. I had day 4 off and the vomiting subsided but the insomnia, chills, major headache and muscle aches set in. I walked every day and on day 4 went to the store and got some vitamins, powerade, bananas and jello. I drank water nonstop and didn't keep anything down until day 4. Day 5 which was yesterday was better than the rest. I still have night sweats, I soak the bed and can't sleep more than two hrs at a time. My stomach was achy, my joints and bones ache to. I kept real food down yesterday but pizza with vegetables probably wasn't the best thing to eat after not eating for 5 days. Oh well it tasted good while I was eating it but afterwards my stomach started to really hurt. Today is day 6. I got 4 consecutive hours of sleep last night, my sweating woke me up because when I soak the bed it gets cold and then I get chills. I've also been having very vivid dreams? I wondered if anyone else had these. All in all I am so glad I did this on my own even though it's not for everyone, I'm pretty strong headed and when I decide something I do it regardless of how I feel. Working during this hasn't been easy at all but I told work I was prescribed some new medications that my body was adjusting to. Taking time off wasn't an option because my son is graduating high school tomorrow and I wanted to feel good all this coming week for him. The one thing I'm grateful for is that I haven't had an urge or a want to get any vicodin from anyone or refill my prescription. My daughter got rid of all my medications as I instructed her to and I'm so relieved that I decided to get opiates out of my life for good. Congratulations to everyone who makes the choice to do this because there is a good life waiting right around the corner for us without the opiates!!
Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi goodmorning
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

treetree...Welcome to SR....