Notices

substance abuse counselor

Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ans

substance abuse counselor

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to become a licensed substance abuse counselor..after being convicted for felony drug trafficking..?? BTW I'm in Ohio I know different states have different rules..
Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

The professional licensing board for each profession sets the rules. All states require you to report that history. Some states allow you to come before the review board for an exemption, while others prohibit you from licensure on the grounds of public safety.

For Ohio, I would contact the state licensing board and ask for a copy of their rules. You can also ask them straight out.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not again

or move to new york and if none of your clients recover thats okay it's job security.

Sorry, just sarcasm but.....

Larry
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It really depends on the state. In my state many addiction counselors were addicts and do have histories. It also depends on whether your licensing board is psychology or social work based. For instance we have a course at our local community college for addictions counseling that doesn't do a criminal history check. So you can get certified but when it comes time to find a job, the job location will be doing a check on you. I think it would also depend on how long ago the charge was. If you've been clean and free from legal troubles for years that would definitely work in your favor.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ans

Its a recent charge march 2011.. * I had been clean a few month prior to this arrest. My atty said after I complete probation and other court orders I can ask the judge to seal my record.. I have never been in trouble before... so hopefully I have a chance...