Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

How do I tell my closest friend I got a addiction problem to tylenol?

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It started almost 4 months ago popping tylenol like candy usually 4 a day. On rare occasions I've taken between 8-10 a day, once I took 14 and felt like s***. Sometimes I drink booze, usually beer and energy drinks. I was never taught how to deal with life because I learned to bottle everything up and have been dealt a s****y hand with whatever life threw at me.

I don't want a pity party just want him to understand me better and where I'm coming from. I lashed out at him recently and threatened to break up with him. He was mad about it and I blamed it on that everything was going too fast between us. In reality, I have too much s*** on my plate and my own addiction problem with tylenol and booze. He knows I like to drink but not that I abuse tylenol. I don't want him to not like me anymore because I really like him. He knows that I almost OD'd on pills once by accident. He has his own drug/alcohol problems too but hides it from me except for dope because he doesn't consider it a drug
Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If your bf is the right guy for you he will understand.....but I think you have a greater problem than what to tell your bf, Sarah.

People die from doing what you're doing.

Please get some real help - see your Dr, maybe search out a recovery group like NA or SMART...see a counsellor.

This is not your first post here - things need to change for Sarah and you're the only one who can change them - not your bf.

please think carefully about some help.

D
Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If your bf is the right guy for you he will understand.....but I think you have a greater problem than what to tell your bf, Sarah.

People die from doing what you're doing.

Please get some real help - see your Dr, maybe search out a recovery group like NA or SMART...see a counsellor.

This is not your first post here - things need to change for Sarah and you're the only one who can change them - not your bf.

please think carefully about some help.

D
He's not a boyfriend, we're in a casual relationship. I only see him maybe once a week. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me and told him that I loved him. He has major drug issues too and I know that isn't gonna change anytime soon. He denies the problem and know that he's using behind my back. I can tell by his behavior and the amount of time he spends in the bathroom
Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for misunderstanding...it doesn't really matter tho - this guy is not your biggest problem IMO SArah.

take care of yourself...

D
Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
sorry for misunderstanding...it doesn't really matter tho - this guy is not your biggest problem IMO SArah.

take care of yourself...

D
No problem. though, the way he acts towards me sometimes I think he likes me more than a friend but afraid to show it. He knows that I'm not ready to be more than friends with benefits.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm still puzzled, you have an addcition to tylenol?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FT

I'm puzzled, too. It would only make sense if it is the physical act of taking pills that does something, like smokers who get better by holding a candy cigarette instead of a real one.

If you are reading this, SB, something else is up, because it is not possible for acetaminophen (Tylenol) to give a chemical effect as a "substance" would do, except by placebo effect. Not as far as I know, anyway.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember in nursing school; we were doing our psychiatric rotation. My instructor said- If you want to kill yourself take an overdose of Tylenol. Tylenol is REALLY BAD for your LIVER and if taken in excessive amounts will kill you or make you very sick.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you don't die from what you're doing the ugly long, drawn out suffering in a hospital bed that comes along with acetominophen toxicity will get you.

What exactly do you get out of taking tylenol? When I was 13 years old I took 50 tylenol as a cry for attention and help. Got neither, but luckily I survived.

Unless you want charcoal forced into your stomach through a nasogastric tube only to end up having it seep from ever pore of your body to help rid your body of the toxins, you should stop. Now. There is no "high" to be gotten from what you're doing. None. What you're doing is manipulative and you need help.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You must mean Tylenol mixed w/a narcotic substance? or Tylenol PM maybe? Not trying to be a d*ck, but if your talking about straight tylenol, there is some other mental health issue going on (self-harm?) that you need to get it checked out asap. Tylenol is terrible for you and has zero recreational or mood altering properties.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I chose not to do that anymore after reading a bunch of **** about it
Old 05-30-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was determined to keep my silence on this issue, as others have so clearly and concisely explained things, but I thought I would add my experience with liver failure just to underline all the warnings, in the hopes that SarahBear has taken them seriously.

It was the autumn of 02, and we had moved back to the States from Germany. About 22K worth of household baggage, including thousands of books and several complete sets of china. Needless to say, tons of unpacking, and bending, etc. I bought a large bottle of X strength Tylenol, and took two every three hours or so. A few days later, I had severe nausea, felt like crap, sharp, horrible stomach pain, and more vomiting. I was scheculed for an oncological review, including blood work. Needless to say, my butt was tossed into the hospital with liver enzymes through the roof. Fortunately, I bounced, recovered, but I have never felt so horrible, so sick, in my life. Urine so dark I could see it in the light from streetlights in the night. I wanted to die, I felt so badly, and but for the grace of God, I would have. So I urge SB, in the strongest terms, to examine why she'd take such a dangerous substance, and to adhere to her statement that she's given it up. Everyone explained it so completely that there was no room for error. I hope she understands and moves on to a healthier life. TPA
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I got addicted to tylenol with codeine. Took up to 60 a day .........(dont even think about it)........once even 100.

I used to puke hard and then take some more. I had bad pains in my "liver area" but tests (after I stopped) came back normal.
I sometimes wonder what the tests would have revealed, if i was tested while using.

probably elevated enzymes for sure
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In Canada (and maybe other countries) you can obtain Tylenol with Codeine in it over the counter.

Tylenol is not the way you want to go.