Notices

Zoloft experiences

Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Zoloft experiences

I'm currently into my 5th month of sobriety. I am one of those that feel taking "anything" is NOT sober. Let's not argue about that philosophy. I am on 150mg of Zoloft, but I feel like a zombie most of the time. Zoloft may well be the reason I don't experience high anxiety and depression, but I am exhausted living like a zombie, I just don't care, about anything, and I believe it's Zoloft.

I've changed my dose to nighttime instead of morning which made a positive difference, and I've reduced my dose to 100mg, working well, feeling like a real person.

Any stories or support out there.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I here ya.
I've been on effexor xr since the 90's and am weaning off that crap and also seroquel.
I am also tired of feeling like a zombie.

Ive been on a ton of syke meds in my life (mostly) do to my -out and out- refusal or inability, to accept life on life's terms.

This is also why I used dope........................................it was my effort to escape that which I could not change.

Well, no more! It's time to face life on lifes terms, do the step work, share with my sponser, and flush yesterdays s**t down the toilet where it belongs
Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hiya Krug-

You've got my support and I'm curious and hopeful some others share their experience.

I've gone 18 months now without a drink and I've gone long enough to now go see my doctor about "other" issues like anxiety and an "over active thought maker"

I'm all ears.

Kjell~
Old 05-21-2011, 11:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I just addressed part of my own experience with these things in another thread. I'll extend part of the story because it's relevant here too. Zoloft was the first anti-depressant I took -- it made me feel like I was being dumbed-down, wearing a mask, and experiencing shallow emotions. Over the years, when my addiction/alcoholism picked up, wanting to die, extreme anxiety, isolation, OCD-like symptoms, PTSD, extreme insomnia, and obsessing via my own "overactive thought-maker" were some of the things I was sure were wrong with me. I tried psychology, psychiatry, doctors, homeopathy, special diets, yoga, anti-depressants, benzodiazepines, sleeping pills, methadone and more -- in my own case, they did not work to resolve the ultimate problem: my untreated addiction/alcoholism. I believe this is just as true clean or using, drunk or sober; it's progressive either way.

As I wrote, total abstinence and the steps have provided me with the only solution that has really worked. What I get is a daily reprieve based on the maintenance of my spiritual condition (and it's often far better than that, like downright exciting, joyous and beautiful). I've been completely clean/sober for 2 years. It has taken patience and a willingness to work the program, but while I still have to work to keep growing, I am not depressed, I don't suffer from anxiety and I haven't slept this well since before I started my career as an addict/drunk. Is this a miracle? I think so. The only thing is that I've seen the same miracle happen with others too. We do recover.

Link to the thread referenced above: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ellbutrin.html
Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

I hope your doctor is in on you stepping down mgs.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

zoloft helped me for anxiety but not all of it, you have to stay on them for a year to fully work.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I only have one more week of my wean left (effexor xr) then its goodbye forever!
I've been sick most everyday and will be for awhile yet, but it's sooo worth getting off that awful drug.

Seriously? .. who would make an AD where (if you miss just one dose) you get sicker then having the flu?
16 years of being dependant on this crap is coming to an end
Old 05-28-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was on Effexor and it helped back in the day with my driving anxieties and with PMS. I stopped taking it when I went to rehab. And my anxiety, my driving phobias and my pms picked right back up. It has taken me several tries of different antidepressants to get back on one that helps. I was unable to get back on Effexor, it really wigged me out but the first time I took it no issues with it. I don't know why but my theory is my brain chemistry changed after the addiction.
I do 12 steps, I see a psychiatrist and a psychologist, and I'm on Cymbalta now. I do daily meditation and I have a good spirtual relationship with my Creator. But I needed something to help with the driving so I'm happy now to be back on one, I don't feel as Zombie on this med, I have totally skipped the brain zaps I got on the Effexor. I feel normal now. I also consider myself sober and clean. I stayed off all anti d's for about 2 years when the driving issues ramped back up along with my family not liking me that one week a month. And these pills help with hot flashes though you guys might not understand that problem. I wish I did not have to take anything but thank heavens there is something that makes living better, I did try to white knucke it out but glad I finally got some relief.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FT

Interesting how us humans have such different responses to the same drugs.

I suffered deep depression about 10 years ago, went on for a few years during which time EVERY SSRI on the market at the time was tried on me, including Zoloft. That category of drug made my depression far worse, but I kept being "weaned" off of it every new pill change, suffering the notorious "brain zaps". All any SSRI ever did to me or for me was to stop me from screaming. But I was still screaming, only silently, in my head.

I was so freaked out about what these drugs did to me, I thought I had become brain damaged, either by the drugs or by the depression, and that I would never feel normal ever again. I resigned myself to a life of mental illness.

It was only after I stopped the SSRI's that I began to find my way back from mental hell. I wasn't even on opiates then. I started reading a book, titled "Worry" by Hallowell, and began to understand why I was depressed and that the things I was feeling were not abnormal, but were atypically severe reactions to horrific situations in my life. I began to feel I could heal.

I still need an antidepressant, but not SSRI's. I am on two non narcotic and non addictive meds now that work. The opiates threw me off track for awhile, but those are gone now and I can concentrate on true mental health.

I'm not suggesting anyone else throw out their SSRI's, but just to realize that we all respond individually to medications, and no one else's doses or medication choices can be "recommended" to us like a good book.

I'm not saying anyone has done that here, but just wanted to throw out that precaution to anyone who even thinks about taking someone else's medication.

FT
Old 05-29-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I have been on and off Zoloft for years. I makes me super tired and very giddy. My husband can tell when I am on it cuz I just don't care. He said the house could be burning down and I would not give a rip. I am off it now.... I don't really like it. I makes me self-centered and selfish.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I encourage everyone who's wanting to come off their medication to discuss with, and work with their Dr.

Self medication was a huge part of my addict behaviour.

Nowadays I listen to advice and work in concert with professionals with regards to the meds I need to maintain a quality of life.

It works for me

D