Notices

I am sober; BF is still smoking pot

Old 05-16-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am sober; BF is still smoking pot

Well, after testing the waters to see whether or not I could drink and still recover from my addiction, I found that I could not do this successfully. I have determined to do my best to not put myself in situations that will trigger me. The problem I am dealing with right now is that my BF still smokes weed. For him--a recovering opiate addict--it is huge progress for him to have left heroin, pain killers, and suboxone behind and only be smoking weed. I won't deny that. I, however, am leaving marijuana behind. I am ready for complete sobriety. I want to walk the road of recovery with him, but it is hard for me to deal with the fact that he still indulges in my DOC. I plan to talk to him about my feelings on this soon, but I am not sure exactly what I'll say.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Eaglette,

You sound so level headed and ready. I wish you all the best.

Is yours a long term committed relationship with BF? If so, it may be worth sticking this through.

If not, you may want to reconsider what it means to have a long term committed relationship with an addict. Sometimes their commitment is to the drug, and they are unable to form healthy adult ones until it is gone.

Good luck.

FT
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, FT! And yeah, we are really committed to each other. I have been weighing the importance of this relationship in my mind and decided that he is well worth the battle I know is going to be in front of us. I have been through this already with another person who did not want help. It was bad. I enabled and the whole thing became mutually abusive. I will not allow it to get to that point again. It is worth it to me to go through this with him, and I feel that if we grow in recovery together that we will hopefully only grow spiritually more together and be able to be in love from healthy places in our hearts and minds. I know it will work if both of us are committed to one and other and to recovery. I am trying to be patient because I know it is a difficult process. Yes, he is well worth it. But I will not go down the road I went before, and I've made that clear to him. Pot is a gray area to me when it comes to his usage because I am capable of not using even when he is, and also I know I can't control what he does--only my reaction to it. I am just not certain how to react to it right now.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No man or woman for that matter is more important than your recovery

My on and off again GF smokes weed from time to time. Now, weed, never was an issue with me. Does nothing for me so when she does what she does, it's no big deal to me. But, if I told her to not do it around me, she would not, and if she didn't, i'm gone.

You have to get militant about your recovery.