Notices

How bad is extra strength tylenol abuse?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How bad is extra strength tylenol abuse?

Last night, I got really, really MAD. I took 10 extra strength tylenol, 4 shots of liquor 15% a.b.v. and 2 energy drinks within a few hrs. It's not the 1st time I abused tylenol and drinking when I got really p'd off. I feel like I start losing control sometimes when something doesn't go my way.

No major ill effects
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

besides acute liver failure from the acetaminaphen and long term liver damage as well...nothing. I guess I dont understand what you are asking? Why would you do that? Just to hurt yourself or to hurt someone else? Obviously there is no recreational value in Tylenol. hmmm.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thejuiceman View Post
besides acute liver failure from the acetaminaphen and long term liver damage as well...nothing. I guess I dont understand what you are asking? Why would you do that? Just to hurt yourself or to hurt someone else? Obviously there is no recreational value in Tylenol. hmmm.
No. I got really mad and needed to do something to feel in control and it was the only legal thing I could get my hands on at the moment. I don't know how to get anything illegally.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sarah, are you seeing a counselor or a therapist? Sounds like you could use a professional to talk to. It's not good to try and harm yourself just because you get angry.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

No. I got really mad and needed to do something to feel in control and it was the only legal thing I could get my hands on at the moment. I don't know how to get anything illegally.

Bad idea. Trust me, you are not in control when you are in liver failure or overdosing from illegal substances. Please seek help.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Not giving medical advice here...already got a slap on the wrist for that...but it's good to be informed

One can induce acute liver failure or can cause permanent liver damage by taking 3000 Mg. in a single serving or by taking 2000 Mg. Of tylenol (acetominephine)per day for several days.

A typical pill of this product will contain approximately 325 or 500 Mg. each. I'm not going to do math for you and don't want to make any recommendations at all. Just know that this is a very dangerous drug.

This is for informational purposes only and should not be perceived as advise
The typical dosage
Old 05-02-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Abusing any drug is dangerous Sarah. Abusing tylenol and alcohol together is even more dangerous.

Abusing any drugs to 'feel in control' is a really big flag for any of us.

I hope you'll look for help on this, as a matter of some urgency.

Your Dr might be a good place to start.

D
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It because I have to work on one of the days next weekends and I told them I didn't want to work weekends anymore. I wasn't working weekends for a long time. Working weekends almost all my working life pretty much ruined my social life. So that's what got me really p'd off last night
Old 05-02-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm sorry you have to work, but that's no reason to do something like that. You should find other ways to handle anger than harming yourself.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Servant of God

I can see where a social life for a young person is really important but there will come a time for you when it's not so important.
One certainty is that there is zero social life in the morg.

Another way to handle your situation would be to talk to your employer and say something like "hey I'm young and like to hit the weekend scene with my friends. Can we work something out where I get (xxxx) time off for that every month?"

Stuff like that works and gets you respect. You may not get everything you asked for but at least you would have handled the situation better. And if they don't give you anything you ask for you can respectfully tell them that you are unhappy about it and feel like you are being treated unfairly.

You will probably have to meet in the middle with them or find another job that suits you better.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((Sarah))) - I've worked weekends most of my life, from the time I was 16. I still found time to have a social life, as there are a lot of people who don't work the normal "Mon-Fri", but I understand it's aggravating.

Tylenol + alcohol is really bad on your liver...really bad. I won't give medical advice, but I was an ER/ICU nurse for 12 years and saw a lot of patients in liver failure from it.

I hope you can find another way to deal with your anger, without hurting yourself. It takes time, I know..did it myself quite a few times, but I eventually found healthier ways to deal with it. One of them is coming here and talking it out.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am at an absolute loss as to why you'd eat tylenol..................ok, so you couldnt find anything illegal.

Death from liver failure is awful, one of the most horrible deaths imaginable

Listen to Impurrfect (above), she knows very well.

Plus she's a cat lover and my good friend!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FNB3 View Post
I can see where a social life for a young person is really important but there will come a time for you when it's not so important.
One certainty is that there is zero social life in the morg.

Another way to handle your situation would be to talk to your employer and say something like "hey I'm young and like to hit the weekend scene with my friends. Can we work something out where I get (xxxx) time off for that every month?"

Stuff like that works and gets you respect. You may not get everything you asked for but at least you would have handled the situation better. And if they don't give you anything you ask for you can respectfully tell them that you are unhappy about it and feel like you are being treated unfairly.

You will probably have to meet in the middle with them or find another job that suits you better.
Finding a job is easier said than done. Especially when there's certain barriers involved.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Never said anything was going to be easy...do what you can to make your situation work for you
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Very dangerous as others have mentioned. It's a slippery slope messing with any kind of pills. You don't know how to get things illegally? Good, leave it at that.

You're trashing your liver by combining those with alcohol, as I am sure you are aware of. I used for a long time because I was trying to run from myself, which was an impossible task. I have a deep sense of self hatred and burning anger/rage that lives inside me but you must find healthier ways to cope with your anger....believe me, I know it is MUCH harder to do than it is to say. It can take a while and it won't happen over night.

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time and I hate hearing about those still suffering and hurting as you are. I hope you can find a way to deal with your anger in a healthier way because travelling down that road will not do you any good. Stay strong and true to yourself *hugs*

-Jess
Old 05-03-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(((Sarah))) - trust me, I know all about the job issues. If you know anything of my story, I was an RN, lost that career due to addiction, am now working at a McDonald's, a part time merchandising job, back in school, and at 49, living with dad/stepmom who help pay my bills because I can't make ends meet.

I understand you being frustrated, as I am, too, but the real issue is how you're dealing with the anger. You're putting your life at risk...what is that going to accomplish? Is ending up on a liver transplant list going to fix anything? I have a cousin who is finally near the top of that list, and we don't know if he's going to live long enough to get one.

I truly pray you find a healthier way to deal with the anger.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-03-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tylanol? OMG!

How is hurting yourself getting any satisfaction to get back at those at work.

How about making a plan to outsmart them. Much more productive.