Notices

Nausea

Old 05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RISINGSUNFALLIN

Nausea

Long story short--ive been addicted to oxycodone for 3 yrs 100-150 mg a day. I have tried to stop 7 or 8 times throughout this time. I can deal with all the withdrawal effects except unrelenting constant nausea that never subsides. Anyone have any suggestions? HAVE HAD UPPER GI SCOPE, PRILOSEC, BEEN PUT ON ZOFRAN, TRIED ALL NATURAL REMEDIES INCLUDING GINGER AND PEPPERMINT. iF ONLY I DIDNT GET THE SEVERE NAUSEA EACH TIME I TRY TO QUIT THE OXY I FEEL LIKE I COULD KICK IT, BUT THE OXY IS THE ONLY THING THAT TAKES AWAY THE NAUSEA-INSTANTLY. I HAVE ENDURED UP TO 6 WEEKS THE LAST TIME BUT COULDNT TAKE THE NAUSEA SO I GAVE IN. ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP
Old 05-01-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Risingsunfallin - welcome.

We can't give medical advice here but if I had nausea for up to 6 weeks?
I'd see a Dr.

Seriously.
Don't mess around.

D
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RISINGSUNFALLIN

I understand the medical advice rule. I have seen drs, been worked up, have tried mult. meds but still no relief and it leads me to relapse. Im just trying to find out what others have maybe tried that worked. I feel like im never going to be able to get off the oxy because of this one thing and i cant think of anyone better than to ask other than people who have been addicted to oxy that possibly had the same problem and thought maybe they could help. If im breaking a rule i apologize but i have seen MDs and the only thing that makes the nausea go away is taking oxycodone. Im at the end of my rope- yeah 6 weeks of unrelenting nausea after trying to quit is serious-thats why im here. Im trying to get off the drugs and this is seriously hampering my chance of recovery. Thanks for your concern.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RISINGSUNFALLIN

Well thanks for all the helpful tips on how anyone dealt with the nausea of withdrawals. Maybe i would have got more of a response if i talked about my dog or cat or maybe some chickens. This site was very unhelpful. Thanks .
Old 05-03-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Hey there.

Yours is a weird question because nausea can be caused be all kinds of things, not the least of which is anxiety. Doctors don't have all the answers, especially if it is out of their field. Nausea is such an ubiquitous complaint, it can apply to many, many syndromes and illnesses.

I won't give you medical advice either, but the first thing that comes to my mind with unrelenting nausea that can only be controlled by opiates is that you now have a "learned response." You expect the nausea to be improved by opiates, so it is. You expect to remain nauseated off the opiates, so you do.

Many people are drawn to substances for psychological reasons -- comfort, anxiety, sadness, happiness, depression, and on and on and on. Opiates are so heavily addictive and the relapse rate so high because of the psychological dependence, not the physical.

If you haven't seen it already, check out the Oxycodone Survival Guide. You can Google it under Withdrawal-Ease. They want to sell you vitamins, but the Guide is free. It is quite good at telling you about the side effects.

If you are one of the unfortunate ones for whom nausea is a prolonged side effect of opiate withdrawal, 6 weeks is not long enough to consider yourself past the Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Google that, too. You will see that opiate withdrawal is a long process, especially from such high doses, and you haven't given yourself enough time.

There are more medical treatments for nausea than you have mentioned. Also, other methods such as acupuncture, acupressure, hypnosis, and more. If I were experiencing that much nausea for so long, I would be looking at a lot of things, including my diet (big thing), activity level, exposures (like at work), and I would create a detailed calendar that chronicles the nausea -- timing, quality, aggravating or relieving factors, etc.

Recovery is a decision to make, and a way to live. It is not something you get done with and go on your way. You need to look at your recovery as something worth doing, as important as anything you have ever done in your life. You need to live your life as a non-opiate-user and do what non-opiate-users do -- they don't turn to opiates to solve their problems, including physical ones, except in those instances where severe pain can be controlled in no other way. If you aren't suffering from a severe illness, cancer, Crohn's disease, or some other painful disorder, using opiates to treat your nausea will only make things worse for you in the long term. Sounds like they already have.

I hope this answer does not sound trite. I really care about how you are doing. There are a lot of people who cruise these threads and never post. There are a lot of posters who read these threads but don't know what to say.

There is an answer for you. You can decide to overcome this nausea issue now, or you will deal with it later on after you have let opiates ruin your life for another undetermined amount of time.

Good luck, and I hope you come back for more interaction here. Don't let the silence on the forum over the course of a few days deter you.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RISINGSUNFALLIN

Thank you- that was a great answer and it made a lot of sense to me.