Notices

For those interested in non-med treatment

Old 04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For those interested in non-med treatment

There's a form of therapy called CBT that is even more successful in treating anxiety and depression. It's short term therapy so it won't drain you financially forever and ever. All it really takes is your determination so you can even do for next to nothing through books. If this peaks your interest read the introductory CBT book by Sam Obitz. It is short simple and written by a guy who has been to the depths of suicidal thoughts, aanxiety and depression and got himself better with CBT. I regularly spend a little time each day countering my thoughts in the CBT exercise called the TEA form and over time it has become my new way of thinking that has a prophylactic effect on my anxiety and depression.
Good luck
Old 04-29-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

CBT was an essential preliminary to my getting sober. I saw a therapist to help me get through the grief surrounding my divorce. She recommended I look into cognitive therapy. I learned techniques to counter (answer back to and argue against) my negative thinking.

It wasn't a silver bullet. But it was a new and useful skill, one that has grown with practice.

I'm no Polyanna but life is much better with less negativity in it. It's easier for me to put a little more distance between and cynicism or depression.