Notices

New Drug

Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Drug

Ok, I've been an alcoholic for 30 years and maybe naive in the drug world. But this morning on TV they had this new drug called Bath Salts containing 90% MDPV -new epidemic...new dangerous craze...aweful stories revealed of kids using...suicide, etc.
Called by other names such as Cloud 9, Blue Sik, Vanilla Sky, many many more names. Bought over the counter and legal in all states. And it's only legal because it hasn't been illegalized --YET. Great, how many kids need to die before its illegal. This is terrible...just had to share...more ifo on:
The Dr. Oz Show
Old 03-08-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

EmeraldRose, my 20 yr old AS over dosed on this stuff!! After his stent in the ER he was admitted into a psych unit for 2 weeks. He has drug induced schizophrenia and this crap put him over thte edge!! It was just banned here in Utah THANK GOD!!! It's scary out there!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, enodm, I am so sorry to hear you have a personal story in relation to this crap. I can't believe that people (adults) are actually selling this to kids over the counter. The usual stuff is bad enough that these kids are getting onto.
I hope he's ok...you didn't mention how he is now. Keeping him in my thoughts.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if it's banned, here in GA, yet, but I know they were working on it. I think it will eventually be banned all over the country, but then my DOC was illegal and it didn't stop me

I AM glad they're getting the word out at how dangerous it is and the psychotic effects it can cause. Kids who want to get high, do often get scared if you mention the "psychotic" stuff...or at least my niece, does (she's 17).

(((Enodm))) - prayers for you and your son.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-08-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Scary sh!t. When people are desperate for a "high," or any mood altering stuff they think might "work," they'll go for it. Unfortunately, the news media has only brought it out in the open, and even though the reports are scary, people will still go check it out.

People will do anything, try anything. Life is too hard sometimes, I guess.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Emeraldrose-he ok, but I think him using this stuff got him started back up on xanax and crap!
Thanks for asking
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

While I appreciate being notified that people are using this stuff, Dr. Oz is over the top "being outraged" that it's sold in neighborhoods and it's legal. It is clearly marked NOT for human consumption. Things used for human consumption like baking soda and baby formula are also used in the manufacturing of drugs. Is he outraged that you can get these things on the shelf too? I mean, I know those products, themselves, don't cause the high but they do get mixed with drugs in order for people to get high. The baking soda is used in making crack-cocaine. Baby formula just looks like cocaine so they use it to cut it... Anyway, the real point is EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION. Rather than causing knee-jerk reactions and trying to get good ratings, a real show (which doesn't really exist- they are all about the money) would put the awareness out and then focus on educating people to try to make a difference. Making this stuff illegal isn't going to take it out of the hands of people who really want it. We all know that. Gotta stop this knee-jerk reactions to things. I understand it's hard not to, but we cannot make everything illegal just because 10 teenagers or 20 young adults abused it and lost.
It's like with prescription medication. I've never had a problem with them. I am currently on Tramadol, another one of those popular to abuse pills, and I don't abuse them. I take them as prescribed. 1-2 every four hours as needed for pain and the pain has gotten light enough now that I only take two in the morning and two at night (I think the bed is aggravating my back injury).
Another problem with all this "AHHHHHHHH" over it, now that will have some people curious and they are gonna do stupid junk to get it. And you know junkies are stocking up on it because they fear it will become illegal, right? UGH! The cycle.
But I am glad to be made aware of it so I can talk to my boys about it. Thank you.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CrackQuack View Post
While I appreciate being notified that people are using this stuff, Dr. Oz is over the top "being outraged" that it's sold in neighborhoods and it's legal. It is clearly marked NOT for human consumption. Things used for human consumption like baking soda and baby formula are also used in the manufacturing of drugs. Is he outraged that you can get these things on the shelf too? I mean, I know those products, themselves, don't cause the high but they do get mixed with drugs in order for people to get high. The baking soda is used in making crack-cocaine. Baby formula just looks like cocaine so they use it to cut it... Anyway, the real point is EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION. Rather than causing knee-jerk reactions and trying to get good ratings, a real show (which doesn't really exist- they are all about the money) would put the awareness out and then focus on educating people to try to make a difference. Making this stuff illegal isn't going to take it out of the hands of people who really want it. We all know that. Gotta stop this knee-jerk reactions to things. I understand it's hard not to, but we cannot make everything illegal just because 10 teenagers or 20 young adults abused it and lost.
It's like with prescription medication. I've never had a problem with them. I am currently on Tramadol, another one of those popular to abuse pills, and I don't abuse them. I take them as prescribed. 1-2 every four hours as needed for pain and the pain has gotten light enough now that I only take two in the morning and two at night (I think the bed is aggravating my back injury).
Another problem with all this "AHHHHHHHH" over it, now that will have some people curious and they are gonna do stupid junk to get it. And you know junkies are stocking up on it because they fear it will become illegal, right? UGH! The cycle.
But I am glad to be made aware of it so I can talk to my boys about it. Thank you.
well put!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I didn't know anything about it and was glad that I was informed...regardless if it was on the Oz show or the Bozo the clown show.
You're right it is about education....
So I did ask my counselor about it and they had gotten a memo on it a month or so ago. It is not a problem in my area but we are one of the highest for meth labs so they will be watching closely.
Its just scary what happens out there.