Notices

Sober Alcoholic starts taking Codiene

Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Alcoholic starts taking Codiene

Hi everyone, this is my first time on this site. I am not sure how to get around here yet so hope I am in the right place to ask this question.
My boyfriend (we both in AA) has told me he is taking very small doses of codiene for pain relief once a fortnight (has been for a few months). I have heard that this particular type of drug very dangerous for an Alcoholic. I am puzzled why he choses this drug over the many others available that are not so dangerous as I thought he would know better. My sponsor has told me to keep away from him as he is heading down and she fears I will go with him. It is such a small dose (1 tablet over the counter type). Is he in danger of developing another addiction?
Old 02-27-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's hard to say, but if there are other non-addictive medications out there that work just as well, the fact that he's choosing to take an addictive one doesn't bode well. Is he only in pain every two weeks?

Welcome to SR.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou for the welcome.

He says the pain has been there (just below his stomach) almost every day for YEARS but has not seen a doctor about it. He suffers from anxiety also.

He has also had drug problems as well as alcohol.

My sponsor fears he is lying about how often he takes it and says by me being with him I am enabling this behaviour.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Originally Posted by Jemma View Post
My sponsor fears he is lying about how often he takes it and says by me being with him I am enabling this behaviour.
That struck me instantly. Once a fortnight?

Please be careful.

And welcome to SR
Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, I agree that he is probably lying about how often he takes it. Seems like if he is in constant pain, he'd be taking it regularly (which he probably is, whether he is in pain or not). It also seems like he would see a doctor about it.

I don't necessarily agree with your sponsor that you are enabling him by being with him, but it doesn't sound like a good situation for your own recovery, which should be your main focus.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

what is a fortnight? Excuse my ignorance.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tryin2Recover View Post
what is a fortnight? Excuse my ignorance.
1 fortnight = 14 days
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jemma

I take codeine from time to time - I'm a recoverying alcoholic, with pain issues related to my cerebral palsy...

but... I only take it as a last resort and never get anywhere near the prescribed limits per day. I also make sure I don't use it for long periods of time.

Persistent stomach pain really needs to be checked out in my opinion. I also wouldn't personally take codeine for that - it's kinda like using a bulldozer to plant a tree IMO.

I hope you can convince him to see a Dr and really get to the bottom of whats going on.

D
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What worries me more than the codeine issue is how little trust there seems to be in your relationship. In your initial post you don't even tell us whether you've talked to him about it. Are you that distanced from your boyfriend?

As Dee mentions, stomach pain is a strange reason to take codeine; especially as codeine is known to produce that kind of pain...

More importantly, if he is getting the codeine from an illegal source than addiction is certainly just around the corner. I am not sure what an "enabler" is the AA community, maybe you can explain this more.

Bottom line: He's not treating his pain correctly. See a doctor.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ya dont have to get codeine from an illegal source in Australia. It's avalible OTC.

as a recovering addict, taking codeine even once a fortnight (for me) is a no no.
I used to take em a handful at a time several times a day.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't realise you were an Aussie Gemma.

Whatever way he's taking them - bonded with paracetamol or with ibuprofen - yeah, he's probably not helping his stomach issues at all.

D
Old 02-27-2011, 11:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes have talked to my boyfriend about it.
Was concerned as soon as he mentioned it as I often hear in AA meetings it is something to stay away from if you are an alcoholic. Of course he brushed it off saying it is the ONLY thing that helps his pain. I myself have only ever smoked a joint. I very naive to drugs.
Mentioned this to my sponsor and she grew concerned too.
He said he would not be getting any more as he feels shame taking it as an alcoholic.
When I found out he got more on the weekend over the counter I mentioned this to my sponsor the next day, she told me if it was her she'd get out of the relationship now. She rang her own sponsor and she agreed with this advice.
So I have told him I can not be with him until he is free from this drug.
As you can see by the fact I am here I am Very torn by this decision but need to protect myself and my child (from another man)