Notices

Stress induced panic attack and almost fainting

Old 02-20-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stress induced panic attack and almost fainting

I'm on meds for anxiety. After almost 10 yrs of trying to come off them and kind of wishing I was never on them (And more properly diagnosed), I've made a bit of a discovery: Hypoglycemia

My first panic attacks seem consistent with the symptoms of hypoglycemia (Along with the way I was eating and partying). I am sure this is affecting me today. Here's why:

My job is stressful, my home life is stressful. My mother-in-law lives with us and my wife has no other family. My family lives in Canada (And we're in Japan). There's no real help out there for us and our situation. My MIL is almost 80. She's not as sharp as she used to be but she still knows what's happening. She's become very selfish. She will do something 'wrong'...allow my wife to go into a rage and cry KNOWING that eventually she will leave the room and she can go to bed. This has been going on for years and my wife has allowed it. My wife believes that she somehow 'deserves' this. She sees the stress it's putting on me, she refuses to get help for her own mental well being...it's just a circle of destruction. A few weeks ago it was like a tug of war between them...I had just come home from a very bad day at work (Had a hypoglycemic attack and almost fainted during a speech) and as I open the door I hear the yelling. My wife is pissed, my MIL is refusing to accept responsibility for something she had clearly done wrong...both seem intent on having the last word. I couldn't push them apart. I told both of them to let it go. My wife will tell me "I can't!" and my MIL will just ignore me. I had to go to the opposite end of the apartment and cover my ears. I literally was about to pass out from the stress. I warned my wife and she ended it with "See...now everyones sick."

Now that's my home life...add to that my work related stress (Pays well, but the stress and pressure is there.) I can't change jobs in a country that isn't too keen on hiring foreigners, and mental health issues are taboo in Japan.

I'm trying to keep my sanity at this point. I bought some weed (Which I hadn't smoked since high school) thinking it would level my stress out. I over-compensated and was too high for about the first 20 minutes. It leveled out and I was feeling 'relaxed'. Before going to bed, I usually start to get a bit shaky, knowing that my meds have to be taken, but not this day. I smoked a little the following day and it was the same. I decided I didn't want this to be a habit (Although I prefer herbs to pharma drugs). I'm also not familiar with MJ and hypoglycemia. I've been on a diet for the last year and have lost almost 60lbs. All my bloodwork comes in within normal ranges (My liver and triglycerides used to be a weeee bit of the chart). Now I'm healthy...with the exception of stress and hypoglycemia. I'm sure the attacks happen ONLY when stressed. I've never experienced them other times. I have a supplement that is 30 grams of dextrose (Sugar) and it helps when one of those attacks happens. I'm doing my best...

So...as you can see by the writing...I'm all over the place and don't know what to do. I'm seeing my pastor tomorrow but I don't know how much help he can really be. Any advice?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

My advice would be to consult a doctor--self medicating is always a bad idea.

I hope you can find someone who is comfortable addressing mental health issues. There has to be help out there. Maybe your pastor or your doctor has some ideas of where you can start.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would urge you to find a doctor. It isnt just pills they dish out. The doctor can put you in touch with people who can give you coping techniques that can help in those moments of despair.

Of course they are not miracle workers, in some respects they can help a great deal. Nobody but you can try to reduce your levels of stress somehow.

Hope you have an anxious free day