Notices

60 days! For anyone questioning sobriety...

Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

60 days! For anyone questioning sobriety...

60 days clean of opiates on Friday after an 18 month addiction. I did use suboxone to detox for a few weeks, so I am 5 weeks off EVERYTHING including suboxone too! I am not having trouble sleeping any more, I am not taking herbal supplements any more and I can officially say this statement....I FEEL 100% AGAIN! No more PAWS, no more insomnia or anxiety and my energy level is great. I am the person I was before Oxy and that nonsense.
For anyone asking "will this horrible feeling end" when in withdrawal or PAWS!....YES it will! At times I questioned it, but knew I was way to strong to take another pill or cave it. I had NO SUPPORT as no one knew about this, and I still made it through! I went to an NA meeting once, but it wasn't for me. My support came in forms of the gym (which I went daily), my career (which I love and wasn't about to lose) and my parents, nephews and friends (who although they didn't know, they made MYSELF want to be normal again) and of course my will to beat the only addiction I have ever had.

Bottom line. I'm not stronger than ANY OF YOU. I just was not going to cave in and will never touch an opiate again. Goodluck everyone.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on being clean and feeling great. I can't wait to get to feeling 100% and having my energy back. I know I need to be patient and I can't rush it. It gets frustrating at times. But I keep telling myself that today is better than yesterday.
Awesome post and GREAT JOB JUICEMAN!!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

That's great news !
Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats man, just so you know PAWS will last up to 2 years so your not out of the clear yet. I don't mean to bring you down its just many people get cocky thinking they beat their addiction and then have a bad day and end up using. but there will be more good days then bad so keep doing what your doing. Your on a great path.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats JM! 60 days is terrific.

Keep it going.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Hey, Juiceman,
I'm in my 6th week off oxycodone. You don't say what brought you there, but what matters is you have stopped the ride. I feel pretty good, but still have days with low energy, and a couple of days ago I had a VERY strong trigger to use. But I didn't.

I'm also aware of PAWS. I Googled it, and even though I hope I am not one who suffers two years of withdrawal, what I do know is that recovery is not an endpoint. When I was withdrawing severely a few weeks ago, I actually had cravings for the ALCOHOL I quit over 20 years ago.

Like I've said on other threads, your brain chemical receptor sites have been altered permanently. Specifically, your dopamine receptors have received artificial stimulation and multiplied, and they don't go away after you stop using. They wait there, empty, for you to feed them again. That's why people who relapse easily slip into high dosages all over again. Goes for all the drugs like oxys, heroin, alcohol, crack, cocaine, etc.

Just remember to view your recovery as something you have to take good care of, like a baby, like a marriage, or whatever analogy you want to make. Your addict brain will speak to you at times, and you have to hold on to what you have achieved to keep your recovery safe and intact.

GOOD ON YA, as they say in Australia. (I lived there for two years, and at least they USED to say that there 30 years ago). Stay clean.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great news. I look forward to the day I can say the same.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Its just nice to actually enjoy my weekends again and to be living life again. Before, pills were all I would think about and running out would scare the hell out of me. Now I workout daily, go out, see friends and play sports agan...love life again!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

So I was at the grocery store and saw a guy I know. He is addicted to opiates and deals them as well. He asked me why I haven't been around the last few months. I told him I'm done with opiates and won't use them ever again. He laughed and said "no one quits them dude. You will need them soon." I looked back at him and said "man, I guess I beat the odds. The thought of them make me sick." He was suprised and said good luck and left.
Looking at all the people I know who use, he's right, not one has quit successfully. Then again they all have other addictions too (benzos, pot, alcohol, gambling, etc) and I'm not an addictive person. This was my first addiction and I HAVE beaten it. You could put an oxy on my tongue and I would spit it out.
I'm too strong to end up scraping for money and searching for pills daily like these guys. I have a future and I am too happy without pills.
I love doubters...it only makes me stronger.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not again

That is wonderful news, and certainly a story I can believe in. I had a feeling it was possible. I think I have seen people do the excact same thing. Useing various drugs and alcohol for a few years, catching a DWI or breaking up with the Significant other, and then just up and quiting, never to be seen again. I certainly admired their resolve, I just didn't have that kind of willpower. Or at least I didn't "think" I did.
I hope you stay with the forum and continue to share you support with others who may be able to benefit from your success. To often people, such as yourself, disappear and there are so many like me, who could use an encouraging word.
Please stop back and let us (me) know that it really can be done-cold turkey/white knuckle style. How great it would be if it really last forever.

Larry
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Larry, it will last forever. I promise. Anyone can do it, I believe. Find something more important to you than the drug, focus on it, and surely you will win the war. To me it was my career, my body and my parents. No one knew about this besides the people who were doing them with me, so I didn't have support, but this board helped. I kept going to the gym (even tho many times I didn't want to), kept focusing on the things I love and simply did it. Sleepless nights, restless legs, depression...it all sucks, but guess what? It won't kill you. The drugs will.
Buckle your chin strap and just do it. That's the way I look at it. Like I told my friend who's still doing them...."are you planning on doing these forever? No! So you may as well get this done with now!"

Good luck and I will be around.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you Juiceman!

When I was in the grips, I didn't want to stop because I didn't want to feel like dying. At the height I was using so many mgs that I was scared. There is such a bad rate of success for quitting opiates because our dumb heads know what will make us feel better instantly. Everyone is obviously different, but I just had been through enough & didn't want to live that way anymore...no matter the consequences. I'm still dealing with a few lingering issues after almost 5 months which is unreal, but considering how long & how much I used, I should expect it. That being said, my life is a million times better that it was & I have no plans on EVER going back.

It can be done & has been done by too many to count. We're proof.

Hang tough.

SH
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

congrats mate!! Im about a month in myself from a 2 year codeine addiction and I'm already feeling much better, starting to feel like me again!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Hey everyone. Hope you had a good weekend. I think I am getting close to getting my best friend to quit. He has admitted he wants to quit the oxy and has admitted having a severe problem. He likes hearing me tell him my adventure aand how I beat it. I believe it gives him hope. I am now 70 days clean of all opiates and as I stated before, I literally feel 100%. I feel like I did before this rediculous nonsense started. I am in great physical shape again from going to the gym, I am up for Presidents club award for my job and I enjoy going out and doing things again!

Thankss for the support.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

60 days has turned into 75 days and I keep on pushing forward. To be honest, its not hard. It was at first with the sleepless nights, restless legs, depression, etc, but the last month has been a cake walk. I don't crave them, I'm happier than ever and the best part...I LIKE DOING THINGS AGAIN! I like going out with friends on the weekends, I like going to the gym, I like listening to music, I love life again! Its awesome and a steel pipe to the head couldn't get me to take another opiate. Good luck everyone!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Congrats on your 75 days thejuiceman!!

Keep up the great work

TB
Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good for you jm. What an accomplishment! Keep checking in man. It's good to hear from you!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

well done on 75 days man your lucky to be out of the woods so soon from my exsperiance.
good luck you will need your A game .....
Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was a day behind you juiceman so I'm on day 74 I think. I really no longer care about counting days just enjoying a life that doesn't entail me being a slave to a stupid pill. However, I am still VERY cautious and I realize that danger lurks behind every change in mood. Congrats bother.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats man you really give me hope I'm still on suboxone and down to 1mg a day. Tried to quit and relapsed big time. I still can't string together more than about a month straight of sobriety but to me that is better than using everyday by a long shot....