anybody have any experience with this

Generic of otherwise

Please no Medical Advice.

Just your experiences if you have taken thia medication

dread
Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I took it for a few years for chronic pain from nerve damage. I used the generic version and it helped me a lot with managing the pain.

It was a fairly long and arduous process to taper off of it in the end.NOTE: I did all of mine with medical advice/assistance from my doctor..

I don't know if that helps or not.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was on it for a while for anxiety. They put me on it in rehab and it made me SO sleepy! Then when I got back, it made me fall asleep in the middle of the day. My husband had left the door unlocked, and my son, about a year and a half old at the time, got out the door and about half a mile down the road before the cops found him and took him home. Then of course CPS got involved and told me if this med was going to make me pass out like that that I needed to get off it, so I talked to my psychiatrist, who put me on Propranolol to take as needed for anxiety. I used to have massive panic attacks 2-3 times a week and take benzos for anxiety. Now I never have panic attacks like that, and only take the Propranolol once or twice a week, when I feel anxious. Neurontin was not the best med for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did nothing for me. I have severe degenerative disk disease and suffer chronic pain.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too have DDD in L4 and L5. I tried it (doctor prescription) for pain and felt like Gumby. HATED that! YUCK!

Last edited by Marshgirl; 01-12-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling issue
Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I never got high off it and it did nothing for pain.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was put on this for peripheral neuropathy; it didn't help at all.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Not a bad drug for some

I have been on Neurontin 1 tablet a day for about 6 years.

I was severely depressed for about 3 years from about 2001 on, and the doctors kept trying to put me on every kind of SSRI (stuff like Prozac) and even Zyprexa (a schizophrenia drug), and NOTHING helped my depression and anxiety. They also tried stuff like amitriptyline, which made me feel even more depressed and "drugged out" the next day when I took it to sleep at night.

Neurontin is NOT a miracle drug by any means, but it worked and continues to work as a mood stabilizer for me. It takes about 3 months for the sleepiness and weird feeling it can give to go away, but it eventually does go away.

I was also prescribed Neurontin after my orthopedic surgery for neurogenic pain, but it doesn't seem to do any thing for that, at least for me. They also tried Lyrica, but that REALLY made me sleep and was VERY expensive on top of that. So, I stopped immediately.

As to withdrawal from Neurontin, I will not give medical advice here. If you read the prescribing information on line, you will see that Neurontin is actually an anti-seizure drug that just happens to have other effects, like mood stabilization for some.

Given that, the on line drug information wisely tells you to go off it on a schedule your doctor gives you, because evidently rebound seizures can occur in some people, especially if they were prescribed the drug for seizures.

I was not, and occasionally I'll forget to take my Neurontin for a few days, and I just notice I feel a little jittery when I do that. My plan is to go off this medication this year, after I am long enough past my oxycodone recovery date of December 15. One thing at a time. I just know know if the Neurontin is benefiting me or not. I would like to simplify the number of pills I take a day, which I have to do for blood pressure and cholesterol, but I'd like to limit my pill taking to just those things.

Taking many drugs at a time can cause interactions between them. So, whatever your questions was for, that is just a common sense thought to send your way. Talk to your doctor, would be my thought.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

The doc at the nervous hospital gave me that stuff, zyprexa, lithium and some other crap because he misdiagnosed me as being bipolor when I was really just kicking. He was such a *****. All that stuff had me acting like a ******** person for a couple of weeks. I couldn't walk or talk right.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
The doc at the nervous hospital gave me that stuff, zyprexa, lithium and some other crap because he misdiagnosed me as being bipolor when I was really just kicking. He was such a *****. All that stuff had me acting like a ******** person for a couple of weeks. I couldn't walk or talk right.
"The nervous hospital". lol
Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exclamation Seroquel, Neurontin, & Trazodone..

Ive been dealing with emotional issues ( Suicidal, Severe Depression & Sleep Disturbance, Severe Anxiety, Cutting, Paranoia & Mild OCD) since I got clean. Neurontin was a miracle drug for me. I finally sleep well after 12 years of serious sleep issues. Im under the care of a Doctor ofcourse. These are some powerful drugs. Ive been on the Seroquel for about 13 years. The Neurontin & Trazadone for about 2 years. The Neurontin & Seroquel I take 3 times a day. The Trazadone at night. Ive been diagnosed with Bi-Polar. Im stable most days. Clean
Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

for what it's worth, I took nurontin 800 mg 4x per day, for several years. SLOWLY cut down on this med over 2 weeks. also cut out 20 mg oxycotin (4 x a day) over the same two weeks. Last dose was a week ago (Wed). Still feeling sick, very frequent quick trips to the bathroom. and NOT SLEEPING although very tired, hurting legs and back.....the reason for the meds in the first place. Going to the dr. today to tell him what I have been going through. I do not want to continue to feel like this but am realizing what 13 years of drugs have dome to me. I used to sleep all night and drifted off a lot during the day. Speech is no longer slurred so that is a big plusthanks to all that have posted words of help and encouragement. Still do not know where to go from here but I am looking and trying to move forward. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
lmao
Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FT

"morontin"

I found one drug site when researching Neurontin a few years ago when I started taking this med for neurogenic pain and as a mood stabilizer. When describing the side effects, he said it should be called "Morontin" because that's how a lot of people feel while taking it.

Indeed, it can make you feel dopey and weird for the first few weeks you take it, but those side effects go away. If you can get through that part, the dopey side effects stop and some people really benefit from the drug.