Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

How much longer is this going to last? Getting Depressed

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi my name is Scott I am 20. My story here is when I was 16 I got mono very bad and was given percs and hydrocodone for 2 months and have had a on and off problem ever since. I had been taking 7-9 10mg for the past few months and went from taking that many down to 1 a night since january first I want this to be a fresh start and a good year and for the past 5 days I have been going through withdrawls including shaking legs, anxiety, vommiting, nausea, the runs, and the muscles in my neck have been cramping and aching. My questions are when are things going to start feeling better? And am I going to go through all this again when I quit taking the one a night? I really havent had much guidance through this my mom has been trying to help and has been giving me phenergan(sp) for the vommiting but thats been about it? I really just need some help and advice I am really starting to feel down mentally, its not like I am considering suicide or hurting myself just depressing thoughts and lots of crying I know im a big baby but this is really starting to get me down.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scott

Welcome

If you're feeling that down, I think it makes sense to go see a Dr and get some professional advice on this....I wouldn't be taking prescription drugs, even if it is phenergan, without professional medical advice either.

D
Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been considering a doctor but right now am broke due to my habit and do not get paid until this coming monday and the phenergan is perscribed to me from my doctor for vommiting
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for clearing that up about the phenergan Scott.
I still think you should go see your Dr when you can - that kind of despair is rough.

D
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice and I am going to try to get in the doctor very soon and I am sorry if I came off short or blunt on my last post I was not meaning too
Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

nothing to apologise for

D
Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Scott,

It takes a whole bunch of guts & patience to get through the detox phase, but it does pass. Just hang in there and look forward to feeling better. It's worth it.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It can last a whole lot longer than a week....or you make it through relatively quickly.....withdrawals vary person to person. Opiate withdrawal is particularly nasty because it can be protracted and/or recurrent. Trying to face it alone almost never works.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The withdrawal will pass one day. Stay away from pills. I cannot warn you enough. Your 20. I was 20 once and I was absolute that addiction would never apply to me. I was very wrong. Get rid of your dope and never go down this road again.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know it really doesn't matter, but I just have to say what kind of friggin doctor would perscribe percs and hydro for mono?! Sheesh!

Hang in there buddy. I used to spontaneously burst into tears during my early sobriety. I felt so utterly sad. It DOES get better. Life is GOOD. You have so much to look forward to!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well at the time the glands in my neck were severly swollen it looked like I had 2 eggs under my skin but I do agree now that I look back at it he had other options and thank you to everyone for the support. And today was day 6 of w/d but I felt slightly better today and hope things keep improving
Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

keep going - it does get there ... xx karma
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
"SMART" Recoveree

You should be getting very close to things getting much better.

As others mentioned telling your Doc(about the addiction if you haven't already) and/or going to a clinic that is addiction oriented would be a very good idea. I go to a clinic that has an in-house doc that prescribes my suboxone and does groups, etc.

I've met a lot of people there that are my age, of similar interests and are going through the exact same thing. It helps, really.

Seriously think about it -
-Doc will help with the short term stuff - w/d's, etc
-Social Support will help with the long term and adjusting to living sober.
AA, SMART Recovery, NA - etc. I personally go for SMART. But it's all up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

Good Luck Man. Keep your head up!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
"SMART" Recoveree

"Trying to face it alone almost never works."

Originally Posted by tsmba View Post
... Opiate withdrawal is particularly nasty because it can be protracted and/or recurrent. Trying to face it alone almost never works.
"Trying to face it alone almost never works."

I will second that. I've tried it, I see people try it, etc - never seen it work. It seems like you can just will yourself through it - but I couldn't. Maybe you can, but I couldn't.

Just wanted to emphasize that. Sorry to double post.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Juggernaut of self will

Withdrawl symptoms are different for everybody. but one common theme you will hear over and over is that things start to improve gradually after the first 5 days or so. The depression is tough but that does pass as well. Mine lasted about a month.

It sounds like you are sick and tired of feeling like death from the drugs? It also sounds like you recognize there is a problem that you may not be able to control? That is a great start and you are well on your way.

Please do not try to go it alone. There is help and support not only on these forums but in the rooms of AA/NA and other 12 step groups. Check it out, and hang in there!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just wanted to give an update I quit taking my 10mg tab about 5 days ago and have since been to the doctor he put me on xanax and wellbutrin and offered suboxone but I have seen that can be addictive also so I said no to that and am going back to him in 7 days has anyone ever had problems with the medications he perscribed. I am feeling some what depressed but am doing better
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Scott. Congratulations on your 5 days! I KNOW how hard it is.

Please please please be careful with the xanax. This drug is a benzodiazepine that is HIGHLY a drug of abuse and addiction.

I don't think this is what you want.

If the xanax were prescribed for anxiety, there or other safer drugs that can be used that are not addictive. Talk with your doctor about this. I don't think you want to trade one addiction for another. Doctors are purely ignorant sometimes. Such a shame. Suboxone doesn't have to be taken for a long period of time.

I'm sure others will come along to restate what I just stated. Please take heed.

Again Congrats! You're doing an AWESOME job.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Still clean and have not been high since new years, I am feeling better psychically but mentally im still struggling
Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on being clean since New Years, Scott! I myself have been off of Roxicets for 8 days and off of Suboxone for 5 days now. I know how hard it is kicking pills, trust me. I'm still going through W/D from the Suboxone since I jumped at 2mg. but it is getting better everyday. The one thing that has been extremely hard for me is not being able to sleep. I've maybe slept for 6 hours in 8 days. I'm super proud of you, man. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just an update feeling so much better I am still clean and have not been high since new years eve, and I have not had any opiates in 7 days. I found out that my local doctor is also been trained in addiction and has reallly been helping me. They put me on xanax and when I took it I got very mean and felt very not me. So he has switched me to chlordiazepoxide, wellbutrin, buspar, and then because I have had sleep problems for years and have been on ambien for 5+ years he switched me over to temazepam and have been sleeping alot better I still dont feel quite myself and am set up to see a psychiatrist(sp) this thursday

And Insomniac ambier knocked me on my butt when I first started taking it so I would see if you could some from your doc