Notices

Insomnia! help!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Insomnia! help!

Hey everyone! I am 36 days clean of Oxy and as many of you know I detoxed using a little suboxone. It worked well as I had some withdrawals but not many. I have been clean of subs as well now for like 12 days and now I can't sleep! Its insane and last night was the worst! I was out of town for work and at the hotel and I literally was up til 7am and had to be to work at 830. The previous few nights were bad as well but not that bad.

How long will this last!? Other than this I feel great, but this will bee tough to deal with.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have insomnia, too. I started taking benadryl to help me sleep, but it stopped working, and I refuse to up the dose anymore. Melatonin helps if you're just having a little trouble, but for me, when my mind keeps me wide awake, nothing helps, not even the strong prescription meds I have tried. I am looking for answers as well!

Have you browsed the Insomnia/Nightmares forum? There are some tips there that have helped a lot of people.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Search the forums...many have had trouble with benadryl here, so I wouldn't go that route.

I think many of us had to deal with insomnia - if you're concerned about this the best step is...yep...see your Dr

D
Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

almost certaily a result of withdrawal. Been there done that many times, it will go away in time.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took a couple of nights, but a little melatonin worked for me. Key is to take it on an empty stomach.

btw, congrats on your days!! That's awesome jm!!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

had the same problems a few nights ago, im a week into being clean off a 25 per day perk 10 habit that lasted 2 yrs... what has helped tremdously for me since then is uhmmmmmmm uhmmmm its not illegal, uhmmmmmmm.....sex, or if no gf/wifey, go to the bathroom and let loose. this might sound disgusting and in no way am trying to make this a sex forum at all. im just stating what made me sleep like a baby!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Lol RB, that's too funny, but I think you're right. Last night was better as I got some sleep. Still tossing anf turning til about 4 am though. We will see what tonight brings.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Originally Posted by rb3b3 View Post
if no gf/wifey, go to the bathroom and let loose. im just stating what made me sleep like a baby!!!
Pulled pork...it's what's for dinner. (dude, thanks a million for the laugh)
Old 01-06-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

insomnia is the last sympton. it won't kill you. exercise helps A LOT
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
insomnia is the last sympton. it won't kill you. exercise helps A LOT
Well that's Good news! I don't have any other symptoms at all and I go to the gym every day. Maybe I will go for a couple mile run an hour or so before bed too. How long does this last symptom typically last? Any clue?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

It is different with everybody. Do some serious cardio workouts and you'll sleep. Don't do them at night but do them about 4-5 hours before bed. Those sound machines and a fan help too. Your body is resting even if you are lying awake in bed. Try to sleep but if it doesn't come don't sweat it. Work out harder the next time.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I seem to have been haunted with insomnia for gears (even pre-addiction, pre-cold turkey!) I have always had very good luck with Valerian Root. It stinks and tastes horrible. But boil some up in water, add some pungent mint (any mint is best at covering other tastes) some honey, and drink a couple of hot cups. Then a nice hot shower, and you are good for sleep. This was usually along with some good excersize that day,(like you are doing, jc).
It always worked for me, now I keep a jar of the stuff at home always.

Wishing you a good nights rest.......
Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Any potential treatments, even herbal ones, need to be discussed with a medical professional - especially if you're already on medication

Those taking prescription medications should not use it. Those who are taking anxiety medications or other prescriptions, including barbiturates and benzodiazepines should not take valerian root. This includes medications like Xanax, Valium and Ativan. The valerian root will interact with these medications
You can also OD on valerian root.

D
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Got a good nights sleep the last couple days. Things looking good!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seaswept View Post
I seem to have been haunted with insomnia for gears (even pre-addiction, pre-cold turkey!) I have always had very good luck with Valerian Root. It stinks and tastes horrible. But boil some up in water, add some pungent mint (any mint is best at covering other tastes) some honey, and drink a couple of hot cups. Then a nice hot shower, and you are good for sleep. This was usually along with some good excersize that day,(like you are doing, jc).
It always worked for me, now I keep a jar of the stuff at home always.

Wishing you a good nights rest.......
you can find Valerian root in the Celestial Seasonings "Sleepytime tea." It's just enough and the taste isn't so bad in that form.

I take 5HTP. It doesn't make me drowsy, but helps me stay asleep once I do fall asleep.

What keeps me from falling asleep at times is my brain/anxiety, etc. Journaling your fears, woes, and doing a big, fat mind-dump onto the page helps me considerably.

Good luck and good stuff on your sobriety!