Notices

Everything but using.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Everything but using.

I hear "as long as I didn't use, it was a good day"... I don't think that's true for me. I can have a pretty ****** day without using. Granted, using will just make things worse, but I figure, let's not pretend that recovery is all peaches and roses. I didn't use the day my daughter was stillborn (I didn't use during my pregnancy. I was not in recovery, but I was in the hospital after childbirth, hemorrhage, and a blood transfusion, so I didn''t use that day.) and that was the worst day of my life.

So now, I am having some health problems. Can't get to a doctor quite yet (need to find an new one, old one dumped me), and don't know what's wrong, but I've been gagging on everything I eat, making it really uncomfortable, and I always have this tight knot in my throat for like 2 weeks now. I stupidly looked up my symptoms on the internet, and found a story of a guy with all my symptoms who found he had stage 4 stomach cancer. They had to remove his whole stomach, and he was given 6 months - a year to live.

While I seriously doubt it's stomach cancer and I don't think I'm dying, I can't help but worry about it, and also, the difficulty eating is making me cranky. I have lost 8 lbs, possibly more (I don't have a scale right now, but it was 8 lbs last I checked).

So, I have been feeling an urge to use to numb this pain and worry, but I know that is unproductive and just not an option. What I have been doing is 'everything but'-- in other words-- I am acting on all my character defects (I am working on step 6, but my defects are so prominent right now I just can't imagine giving them up) I am acting on my addiction in other ways such as compulsive spending, and I am just acting the way I do when I use.

I need to get back on track and muddle through this, or I am going to end up using.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't fall into the trap of using! Look inside yourself and know that using is not the answer for you. Find a doctor to give you a full look over and provide him/her with all you past problems. Being honest will allow a good diagnosis if there is something seriously wrong. If all else fails and you believe your health is really at risk, call for help!

I have read some of your other posts and you seem to be able to get through most of this. Stay strong but definitely don't ignore any other health issues.