Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Whoa... the FDA's decision today, have you all heard?

Notices

Whoa... the FDA's decision today, have you all heard?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Post Whoa... the FDA's decision today, have you all heard?

That they're taking Darvocet off the market due it's bad being outweighed by it's good due to the irregular heart rhythms it gives people? Ho ho.... and you know... that Vicodin, Percocet, Codeine, heck, EVEN TYLENOL IS NEXT.

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE IN 2011, by the gods... check your news stories online people you'll see what I mean about the Darvocet, *as obvious, I'm on Darvocet for my chronic head pain*.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think taking it off the market for those reasons is a good thing. Irregular heart rhythms is not an adverse reaction of vicodin, percocet, tylenol, etc.

In the ten years I worked at one hospital, I gave darvocet maybe twice and that was at the patient's request. Doctors, at least where I am, just don't perscribe the drug. Probably for good reason.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

HA! Think of the repercussions this will do to the people who are disabled in pain daily, and I speak in future because all the other opiates WILL BE TARGETED NEXT, I guarantee it, AND POVERTY, DRUG SALES will RISE, it will be like a REVOLUTION, PROHIBITION ONCE MORE like the Dry Law, oh ... my god. It's going to be bad.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Paulos, they are not going to take all the opiates off the market just because that one is being pulled.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t think there's cause for alarm Paulos.

The makers of one drug, Darvocet, are working with the FDA and pulling that one particular drug off the market because of concerns it may be contributing to heart problems.

Thats a good thing.

It's not the thin end of the wedge for other drugs - and I'm sure your doctor can and will advise you on a replacement medication for you that will be equally as effective, and without the FDA concerns

D
Old 11-20-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

crap. Darvocet was the only non-narcotic pain med that worked but didn't put me to sleep.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onewithwings View Post
crap. Darvocet was the only non-narcotic pain med that worked but didn't put me to sleep.
Darvocet is a narcotic.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Darvocet is a narcotic.
yup. a mild one but a narcotic
Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hm, I took it for pain (after a cosmetic surgery, ahem) and didn't have any of those side effects. It actually worked good, without any wooziness, which at the time, I probably would've welcomed!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The fact is ........ nevertheless...... Freedom1990, Dee74... I've lost my Darvocet prescription, which means to Dee especially "There are other opiates out there" my doctor most likely won't give me CRAP because he knows I've had headaches for so many years and there's so much pressure on doctors for pain pills... oh man ... my life just keeps getting worse and worse, if one more thing happens or if I lose ONE MORE THING........
Old 11-23-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you spoken to yr Dr Paulos? Or are you worrying ahead of the fact?

No doctor in the world would stop prescribing you pain relief medication unless they thought it was warranted to do so.

D
Old 11-24-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Darvocet is a narcotic.
Ok, I guess I used the wrong words then. I meant "prescription pain med that doesn't get me high".
Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

I think it's a great decision based on the reasons.

Have you been working with your doctor on any non-narcotic pain relief options should your prophecy unfold?

Seriously.. you'll have options.. but wouldn't it feel good to not feel so scared of losing your pills?

I know there is a small population of people out there that need pain relief, chemical pain relief.. but there are always other options. Always..
Old 12-12-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Oh puh lease smacked, I have to get used to not being high from them anymore as well AND the way you state it so philosophically- here's the answer: NO! As I have tried natural solutions, the pain is always there. There are many options, many that do not work either.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have to get used to not being high from them anymore as well
I think you need to focus on finding effective pain relief Paulos - I'd be surprised there's not a better treatment out there for you.

If you're missing a high then maybe that's all the proof you need darvocet was not a good match for you.

It's been a month since you first posted - if you're still in pain,withdrawal, or any discomfort, please see a Dr. or seek a second opinion.

and please - don't shoot the messengers.

We're all taking time out, freely and gladly, to share our experience with you - we're trying to help.

If you disagree with the responses, fine - I can close the thread.
Let me know.

D
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Paulos..something in your post stuck out to me...you mentioned "if I loose one more thing"...well I hear you and maybe dealing with the pain of those loses would help you find some peace and happiness in your lfie...There I lots of people willing to listen and offer support....it helps so much to speak out truth ya know?? It has helped me..just a suggestion ....glad you are here..
love norty
Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My Mom is on Darvocet...has been for years for her severe RA. I once got her to try accupuncture for the pain...she said it worked really well but taking a pill was easier. I am very happy Darvocet will no longer be an option...maybe she can find something with less side effects now.