Notices

22 year old potention Adderall Abuse

Old 11-17-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation 22 year old potention Adderall Abuse

I just started taking Adderall about a month ago for my diagnosed ADD. I am prescribed 30 mg a day. This dosage really works for me however I have had tendencies of taking one or two more in a given day. Its not like I have been taking 10 pills a day or even taking more than my prescribed dosage multiple days in a row, just a day or two a week on average. Just out of curiosity I decided to look up side effects of over usage and found a crazy amount of information of website and forums that have me a little nervous. Am i already on the verge of addiction? Is the extra amount of Adderall that I take on random days already potentially threatening to my life and health? please help!!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi P22 --

It sounds like you are very stressed out and I feel for you.

You aren't taking the adderall as prescribed, correct? -- so yes, I would think many would agree that is abuse, and I am also concerned that the dose is high-ish. More than that, though, I'm worried about your fear and concern over it. If the situation is bothering you, it's best to step back and evaluate it, as you are doing, and see if you can change something for the better.

I was never prescribed adderall, but I abused it as often as I could get my hands on it, and I would often use up my stash much more quickly than I intended, and I felt negative physical and mental repercussions from this (rapid heart rate, jaw clenching, irritability, etc). So, I only know it from my perspective, but for me, adderall was a drug very full of abuse potential. You are in a different position, being prescribed it, so the question is between you and your doctor -- but I strongly hope you can be careful with this, and seek help if it is a problem for you.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi P22M88
welcome to SR

The best thing you can do is go and put these questions to your doctor - they know you, they know your case history and your general health - they're in the best position to advise you on what scale of problem it's likely to be, and just what to do next.

I do think you're right to be concerned tho - and I think it's great you're being pro-active on this now.

D
Old 11-19-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by P22M88 View Post
Its not like I have been taking 10 pills a day or even taking more than my prescribed dosage multiple days in a row, just a day or two a week on average.
Just one or two days a week...now. And you've only been taking them a month. Please, don't underestimate the abuse potential of this amphetamine. I was a speed freak. I think the danger with those of us with ADD and AHDD is that not only WORKS, it feels good! If you are chasing that pleasure run, beware.