Notices

Clonazepam (Rivotril) Taper

Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clonazepam (Rivotril) Taper

Hi All

I was prescribed Clonazepam in the form of drops (Rivotril) for the side effects of Gabapentin. I don't need the drops anymore but now of course I'm dependent. I'm stuck on about six drops three times a day. I know it's not much but too much to go cold turkey on - tried that already :rotfxko. Has anybody tapered off this before? I've been prescribed Haloperidol to try and help but I just can't seem to do it! Really want to get off it - HELP!

Kiwi x
Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

What does your doctor say Kiwi?

D
Old 11-16-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dee

She gave me a taper plan, but before I could do it I was admitted to hospital for a six day Ketamine Infusion to try to decrease my pain meds. I didn't have the strength to do it after I came out as the infusion didn't work properly etc etc.

Anyway I started needing more and more so decreased the Gabapentin (in consultation with dr.) and I didn't need the drops anymore, but I didn't tell them I'd increased the drops to six instead of two which the taper was for.

I guess I'll use the plan she gave me and alter it for the increase in drops. Hopefully that should work.

Kiwi x
Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

ok so...why not advise her of what you've done?

I think you're better off being honest and getting up to date help than trying to be your own doctor SK.

D
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
ok so...why not advise her of what you've done?

I think you're better off being honest and getting up to date help than trying to be your own doctor SK.

D
amen to that.

I'll also add...

Klonopin is a hard benzo to get off. it takes very precise tapering to do it without severe discomfort. definately be honest with your doctor. i did a cold turkey withdrawal and it was excruitating. had i gone to a doctor and listened, it could have been much easier on my body.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with being honest with your dr. My stepsister had to be admitted to detox to get off Klonopin. She has other health issues, but had tried the taper and couldn't do it.

Doctors deal with this stuff, all the time. If you sincerely want to get off the Klonopin, and are honest with her, I'm pretty sure she'll help you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-17-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody for your messages

I shall get in touch with my Pain Management doc and let her know what's going on and get a new taper schedule in place!