Notices

Stopping seroquel

Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopping seroquel

I know see a doctor and were not to give medical advice. Just curious what others have experianced. I have been off it since Monday and feel ok for the most part.

Has anyone ever stopped taking seroquel? What did you feel like and for how long?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

better see the doctor that put you on it. do you know the reason it was prescribed to you?

I'm on it too. 100ml one at night. I can't sleep without it.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They put me on it for sleep, I was taking 300mg at night. To me though the weight gain and feeling groggy the next day just isn't worth it anymore. I'm very active with crossfit and other sports but I have gained 15lbs in 10 months. Just doing some research on the web there are studies of leading to liver problems and diabetes. There are other sleep aids out there....
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also can't sleep without it, but I've already gone through just about every sleep aid over the counter and prescribed.

I read seroquel is not addictive, so if that's true you shouldn't have any withdrawals, but I don't know for sure.

By the way everything we take is bad for our liver.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a very bad experience with Seroquel.

I was prescribed it for sleep and as a manic control and I do have bipolar I, however Seroquel is an anti-psychotic and one Dr was right....it isn't a good idea to give an anti-psychotic to someone who isn't psychotic

I liked the sleep at first. For the first month.
It did cause me to gain even more weight and it stupefied me.

One night I just could not get to sleep and it was too many sleepless nights in a row...now REMEMBER what I said about it being an anti-psychotic? It screwed with my thinking so badly and I wasn't really aware of how much but in an insane and sane moment mixed together in a bipolar episode..I kept taking one more or a couple more simply trying to get to sleep.

I woke up in the ICU with a breathing tube down my throat.
Scared the heLL out of my family, they were very upset and angry with me and I got locked up for 6 days.

Was I really suicidal, no....I wasn't.
But it almost happened.

So, naturally I consider it a totally inappropriate drug as a fix for sleep.
There ARE others that are for sleep.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live View Post
I had a very bad experience with Seroquel.

I was prescribed it for sleep and as a manic control and I do have bipolar I, however Seroquel is an anti-psychotic and one Dr was right....it isn't a good idea to give an anti-psychotic to someone who isn't psychotic

I liked the sleep at first. For the first month.
It did cause me to gain even more weight and it stupefied me.

One night I just could not get to sleep and it was too many sleepless nights in a row...now REMEMBER what I said about it being an anti-psychotic? It screwed with my thinking so badly and I wasn't really aware of how much but in an insane and sane moment mixed together in a bipolar episode..I kept taking one more or a couple more simply trying to get to sleep.

I woke up in the ICU with a breathing tube down my throat.
Scared the heLL out of my family, they were very upset and angry with me and I got locked up for 6 days.

Was I really suicidal, no....I wasn't.
But it almost happened.

So, naturally I consider it a totally inappropriate drug as a fix for sleep.
There ARE others that are for sleep.

I could not agree more. Why give someone an anti-psychotic who is not psychotic just because it makes them drowsy. There are lots of other sleep-aids out there.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Obviously I think it is way freaking dangerous and irresponsible!

While in the hospital I did have a terrible time not being able to sleep but I have since been on a combo that does work.....remeron and halcion.
I have a bad feeling about the halcion and would rather get on with living and tire myself out and just be able to sleep with the remeron.

Trazadone worked for me for a very long time but it nows causes such too vivid dreaming...too many nightmares and night terrors to consider taking anymore.

Oh, meant to say they stopped the seroquel cold turkey and I am glad.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

oh, btw...love your signature line! I hate the original Nietsche one! LOL
Old 09-23-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The past few nights I have been taking tylnol pm and is not like the kind of sleep I am used to but I'm happy with my choice of stopping the seroquel. I have not had it since Monday and so far feel good. Plus I have lost 3lbs already!!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was taking serquoel, and just did not like the feeling it gave me....before I fell asleep then in the morning..and mostly all day felt so out of it!! so now I take trazodone...Live is right about the vivid dreaming....but that doesn't seem to bother me....I only take 1/2 pill... and I get such a great sleep....but you have to take it early...or you wake up with that groggy feeling!!!
Best of luck finding one that suits you!!

P.S. I didn't experience any difficulties stopping the serquoel right away.. and like you even lost some weight!!!