Notices

Off the Reservation

Old 06-27-2010, 01:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Off the Reservation

I hate the fact that I'm so addled that I have to take several psyche meds. I've gone "Off the reservation" twice in the last two weeks and tried not taking my pills. i crashed and burned both times. Ended up with withdrawel symptoms like feelings of impending doom, I should be dead, chills and sweats like I was coming off a several day bender, inability to showrr, change clothes or at times even eat, much less study (I'm an older full-time student) The drugs make it harder for me to learn than I used to and I cant carry on a conversation as well either. But when I try to give them up the wheels fall off. I'm on effexor, xanax, remeron, and geodon. I understand that you have to be weaned off effexor now. Do I just continue to suffer the lesser of two evils? My grades have suffered as a resukt of this. Any advice?
thanks
Icewolf
Old 06-27-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

talk with your Dr.

I have had to adjust the dosages on my medication in order to better function in my daily life.

At this point i sometimes have a little bit shakier mental health days because i can't take the dose i do best on and still wake up when the alarm goes off in the morning.

Other times, I have to take more meds and live with the concequences.

It's very individual, and i can't really make a wise decision about it without my dr's assistance...he is very open and works well with me on it. He can tell if i'm really just flaking out and MUST be on a higher dose or when i am doing reasonably well and be on the lower dose.

It's the nature of my illness that i can mis judge those situations.

Talk to your dr...and if your dr isn't open to discussing and moderating your medications when it is reasonable...find a dr you trust.

This is tough stuff... (hug)
Old 06-27-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree with ananda. Go see your doctor. Sometimes it takes quite a while to get the right dosage and right combination of meds. Abruptly stopping, as you have found out, is not a good idea. It can cause all kinds of problems. Your doctor is the best person to guide you in this area.

Hang in there, it will get better.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think sometimes we just have to make trade offs as far as meds and mental health, and deal with our limitations. It's a tough choice, and one I've made. Are you pursuing your strengths?