Notices

tapering down and Clonidine

Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tapering down and Clonidine

Hi there

I have tried over the last several weeks to "just stop" doing oxycontin/morphine. In desperation I went to a hospital today as was informed that there is a drug that helps with my twittering legs. The Dr assured me that I could be at my regular work and everything simply by taking Clonidine as it would almost diminish all withdrawl effects. Needless to say I got the prescription and took one at 5PM, at 6PM I was in unbearable shakes and feeling convulsion coming on. I don't know if the Clon. would have helped but just wasn't in my system long enough. I went out and self medicated instead.
It keeps coming to mind that I could pare down the amount I do daily then read Snowman posts saying he is doing that very thing. AM just wondering if that works.
I have a super busy week coming up and much travel over the next few months and have to get this monkey off my back. I am blessed in so many ways and wish so much I had never taken this,. Someone said well, just stop taking it and I have tried that and got painfully, frighteningly ill.
I would appreciate any feedback in regards to this. Am ready and willing to do what it takes and enough determination to taper if that works. I am so busy taking a week plus of for cold turkey is not the best idea or do methadone. I just don't know what to do.
Thanks
J
Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joani

Welcome to SR

I'm not familiar with either drug...but I always recommend ppl find a doctor (a GP) and discuss with them what to do - professional advice is always best I think - if a tapering plan is suitable for you, the doctor will help you work one out.

D
Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mrs

I have been off morphine for 17 days. If at all possible taper off. My doctor did give me clonadine and I never did take it because I am already on blood pressure medicine. I never could taper off. I would get really close to being off just to go back up on dosage. You do not want to get on methadone. I know 3 different people that take it and detox from it is hell on earth. They told me if I got on methadone that I would not be able to get off. They did give my a small amount in case I did get really sick. I did take it two different days. It scared me to do that. Detox has been hard and yesterday was the first day I really felt better. Do you have a family member that can hold onto your pills and help you taper off? I wished a thousand times I had done that. Taper off very slowly and even then you will have withdrawals. Detoxing is hard on your mind as well as your body. You may want to see if your doctor will give you klonipins to help with that.Good luck
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know much about those drugs and never heard of Clonidine but I just wanted to say it is possible to get clean but talk to your doc make sure you are safe as you detox. You can get clean I believe in you!!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Since you're getting it through legal means w/a doctor and all, I will say that my personal experience with clonidine in terms of it *helping* with withdrawals (or w/d's as you'll often see it abbreviated here) was good. Whether or not it helps to the point where you're going to be cool with going to work really depends on a lot of factors ... it's far from a guarantee, let's put it that way. But it does help. For sure.

I'm a big fan of tapering, provided you can pull it off. Having someone to divvy your stuff to you gives you the best chances of success, along with a REAL desire to quit using. If you're still in the 'wanting to want to quit' stage ... it's really difficult regardless of what methodology you employ. But the less dope you've taken recently when you go to quit, the less brutal the w/d effects generally are.

If you're genuinely motivated to quit, I'd say the tapering method definitely increases your chances of making it through the worst part of w/d's without picking up, because the worst part won't be as brutal as a true 'cold-turkey', coming straight off the dosage you've been on.

Welcome to the boards, btw