Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

well... I'm on DAY 8 and still no opiates! now the klonopin has gotta take a hike!

Notices

well... I'm on DAY 8 and still no opiates! now the klonopin has gotta take a hike!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I figured out why my RLS and creepy crawly skin was lingering longer than it should have. Even though I was prescribed a low dose and had been taking it as directed (mostly less never more), I think the klonopin is the culprit. I made an appt. for next week with my regular Dr. that prescribed 1mg at bedtime to help with the insomnia/anxiety I was experiencing from the chronic back pain and just not being able to get comfortable (even after the $4k tempurpedic mattress). Well, in my rush to be chemical free I also pretty much stopped taking the benzo too. It took me a couple of nights (5 and 6) of tossing and turning, feeling like my skin was crawling to figure out that even such a small dose is not easy to CT from. At my next appt. I will be asking for his help with a conversion and then a tapering schedule to remove the benzo completely.

They really did help and I've NEVER abused them. But after reading about them more and more I understand that those are some mean green little bastards! I was so preoccupied with dumping the opiates that I never considered stopping the klonopin as being the source of my lingering trouble. I took 1/2 at bedtime last night and slept pretty good. However, I have begun spreading out the dose further and further, and breaking the tabs in 1/2's and 1/4's. I know it'll take some time if I want to avoid dangerous symptoms and discomfort. but I'm TOTALLY DOING THIS!

Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it. Thanks for listening. so glad I found this place

John
Old 05-21-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck! I'm just under 3 hours from 5 full days of being clean of opiates. It sucks. 98% mental for me. I've got some xanex for when it gets bad but even those I've tried to stay away from cause I don't want to form another addiction I guess I've taken maybe 1mg in 5 days. Only 2 little tiny pieces. They def help but only for last case scenario. Best of luck and I totally feel ur pain
Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WAY TO GO !!! Feels pretty damn good doesn't it? I would totally avoid the benzo's too if I were you, but they sure help with the early WD symptoms, and I know they are on the short list of helper med's when detoxing(for just about everyone). I'm just glad I figured out what (I think) has been the issue. At least now that it's been identified I can work on it. For the last two nights I could NOT figure out why my nights were getting worse.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a ROUGH ride- been there. Good luck, well wishes and hang on- you'll get through it.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

justdealwithit, congratulations on your 8 days Great job!!The first 90 days are hard but things will get better. I would be careful with Klonopin. My doctor prescribed it to me and I abused it. I did not want to abuse it but I am an addict and an addict would do anything to get high. Not using is not a normal state for an addict. We have a disease just like diabetes which plays tricks on us. We will try to substitute drugs, look for the easier way out only to find ourselves trapped. We have gone from one hell to another. Benzo’s wds are worse than opiates. Also, whether you take something even none addictive or not , your body will take time to go back to normal. There’s nothing you can do to speed the process so just take it and be patient. IT WILL GET EASIER. Exercise helped me a lot to exhaust my body to sleep. It will take you up to 30 days to be able to get a decent full night sleep. So it’s completely normal. Try to stay as busy as possible. But you cannot do this alone. You need help. Search for support groups for help. Online recovery is good but you need f2f help. Just hang on !!!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

justdealwithit: I hear what you are saying about the klonopin. My doctor was very quick to prescribe it- and I have to say- really quickly- it was hard to function without it. Im a teacher and I felt 'weird' pretty fast about taking three pills a day- especially when I quickly 'needed' the 3 pills per day. dose was lowbut still quickly needed it.
i was moved to xanax ER and it seemed better- but I weened myself from that as well- since I could tell I was depending on the numbing effect of it- it was harder to cope with my ocd and anxiety once I was depending on the meds. I'm a month off- and though it can be stressful- i'd rather try to accomodate my ocd naturally then be numb then crazy when on/off meds
Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just dont get it. Taking a drug to stop taking drugs. Just sayin...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what don't you get? would you say that to someone that HAS to take Sub, bup, or methadone in order to get control of their lives? seems a little judgmental to me. I personally quit CT 11 days ago, been through hell and back and don't regret ONE OUNCE OF THE PAIN. However we are all wired a little differently. I have also stopped the klonopin and have decided that I might have been experiencing a little rebound RLS and insomnia 7-8 days from CT. I say if taking something (prescribed or otherwise) that can (does) help people get over the worst of the worst of the worst of it.... if it helps them reach their goal, who am I to judge. just asking....
Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That to me is like drinking beer to quit whiskey. The purpose is to quit not find an acceptable substitute. Just sayin...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ya but their are some drugs that can be taken to help with withdrawl. Don't diss all drugs , some perscription drugs are very helpful. I would avoid benzos too because they are addictive. I know I've taken them a couple of times for severe anxiety situations and I know after I take it I want more, but that's just my addict brain.

However sometimes people needs meds to help get off drugs. It would be similar to chewing nicotine gum to get off cigerattes... which has really helped me by the way. It's still a drug but is not as intense so helps you get off it.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying however your example is a little off IMHO. Drinking alcohol to get off alcohol is hardly the same as taking a medication that keeps you from doing what you clearly couldn't do on your own (like stop taking opiates). I'm really not trying to pick at your posts but some people REALLY NEED to take some "drug" to get off a DIFFERENT drug (that's ruining their lives). But... I DO get the jest of your post, and to a point I agree... it's just not quite that black and white IMO
Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justdealwithit View Post
I understand what you are saying however your example is a little off IMHO. Drinking alcohol to get off alcohol is hardly the same as taking a medication that keeps you from doing what you clearly couldn't do on your own (like stop taking opiates). I'm really not trying to pick at your posts but some people REALLY NEED to take some "drug" to get off a DIFFERENT drug (that's ruining their lives). But... I DO get the jest of your post, and to a point I agree... it's just not quite that black and white IMO
I agree, and I understand. As an addict I speak from my own experience. It was much easier for me to rationalize my drug use when I could buy it at the pharmacy rather than the streets.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

NOW your on to something... I used to do that all the time when i was trying to "control" my opiate usage. I had Dr.'s orders to take "as needed" HA that's a joke. My brain figured out in a hurry how to rationalize and justify taking more than I should AND more often... "as needed" I also really believe that I'm completely off them now because I did NOT try to taper. It would have been way too easy to ramp back up because of the pain (which I still experience daily) I just figured a little suffering was in order and would go along way to staying clean.