I guess it had to come out somewhere

Old 11-12-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I guess it had to come out somewhere

I had a terrible journey home tonight. The weather was awful and I left work a little early because I knew the traffic would be bad. BUt worse than this the motorway was closed and I was trapped in traffic for nearly 2 hours.

My husband is out of town and I needed to get my son from nursery but was never going to make it in time and to top it of I didn't have my mobile phone on me. I had to park my car and walk to an sos phone, so standing there in the pooring rain, talking to a stranger about how I can get a message to the nursery that I will be late - I completely broke down.

The poor man on the end of the phone didnt know what to do with me lol!

He calmed me down and called the school, the teachers said they would wait for me for as long as it took. I arrived there at 6.35pm as they reassured me that he had been fine and they were happy to help.

It struck me just how much I have been let down, if only I had a a family that I could rely on to help me out in times of emergency? Not that they wouldn't have gone to get him, as they would have been there in a heart beat but I don't trust that she hasn't been drinking and I would be going against my boundaries if I called them for help.

Just when I thought it was getting easier

Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Sorry. Hang in there. Tomorrow will be better.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's what scares me, is the idea of taking on life and it's ups and downs alone, without family there. The idea that when worse came to worse, I would breakdown and go against my own boundaries because I needed something I felt no one else could provide. I am proud of you for not breaking down and calling them, and thanks for sharing your story about it. There are others out there that will help when we get into a situation, it's not the end of the world when the person helping isn't our parent. Just knowing that you were able to stand your ground gives me hope that eventually I too will be able to do it. :ghug2
Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It would indeed be wonderful to have a family to rely on, but if your family was anything like mine, they really couldn't come through for you anyway.

Your story reminds me of an incident that happened when I was 13 or 14 .. I know I wasn't old enough to drive yet. My AF was out of work (again) and my mother had taken a night job at a mall to make extra money for Christmas. She had a flat tire one night on the way home -- it was late, probably 11 or midnight. She called and called and my father was passed out drunk in his chair. She finally got him to answer, and he was incoherent and HUNG UP ON HER. She finally called family friends and as they are there helping her, my dad comes up. She told him to get away from her and she never wanted to see him again. Of course, that didn't last.

The only reason my dad woke up is that I finally went in there to find out why the phone was ringing off the hook. I remember wanting to go help her myself but I couldn't drive.

I had an eerie repeat of this in my own life. I had had a fight with my first husband, also an alcoholic (this is when our marriage was falling apart and after I found out he was cheating on me with a woman I thought was a friend -- we'd only been married 2 years!), and I called him somewhere and he was drunk and I told him not to bother coming home. Then I went out to get some cigarettes, I think -- I was still smoking then -- and my car wouldn't start. I kept trying to call my husband and he had turned off his phone. I had no other family nearby. I finally got a good friend and coworker to help me with my dead battery. I just kept thinking about my mom and her flat tire, and how she kept taking it and taking it from my dad, and how tired I was of living this way.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. But like I said, my family was never much good in a crisis. Sounds like yours is pretty non-dependable too, at least if you suspect she might have been drinking. But hey, look at it this way ... you relied on yourself, and you came through just fine. Even if it was a little emotional.

You're doing great. Hugs to you.